*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Strange running issue (really need help)

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Strange running issue (really need help)

Postby trannyvanman16 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:04 am

Hi guys
basically my transit 2.2 2012 100bhp has been suffering from strange running problems when cold.
basically on a morning when starting it starts rough not smooth and almost as if batt is abit down it dims the interior lights while starting but once run it starts better after so this could be batt?
my main problem im having is when doing 1st start it runs rough like its missing almost. it makes funny noises and just doesnt sound smooth it has that anti stall on clutch pedal were the revs go up and if you engauge clutch it makes it run worse it almost give the van a shake. if you watch the engine everynow and then it shakes? yet once run down the road its fine then it pulls really good. another problem im having is sometime when its hot it turns over and over and starts crap too.

long story short we have a "transit man" near were i live if he doesnt no whats wrong then jobs knackard and basically he doesnt no. hes check heater plugs, egr, hes had it plugged in and no fault codes and everything looks ok. hes done a spray pattern test on injectors and a leakoff test they look fine although hes still yet to check them properly could this be the problem>?

he says it could be injectors but with out fulling testing them not sure. could also be temp sensor? or maybe fuel rail pressure sensor and he says you cant just buy the sensor you have to buy the full rail?

just woundering if anybody could shed some lights on this or maybe point me in another direction.
the only info i can give is its supposedly had some ford software update last year
its only done 38k

thanks
Tom
trannyvanman16
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Strange running issue (really need help)

Postby knobby1 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:37 pm

Hi Tom,
Firstly, do you know what type of unit was used for the code read.?? Some generic code readers can't read "all" codes. Really needs to go on IDS if possible.

If the van is pulling well when warmed up, but not so happy when cold, I'd suggest it needs the injector leak-off test done to establish if the injectors are indeed ok. Then, if they prove ok, a full set of learns.

You can indeed buy the fuel rail pressure/temp sensor separately:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-FORD-TRA ... Swux5YNqRg

Unlikely to be the pressure/temp sensor though, we've not seen them fail as a rule, more likely to be an SCV & PRV issue.

At only 38k miles I doubt the injectors are badly worn....but sillier things have happened.

Personally I'd get the fuel filter replaced, then get it on IDS with someone who knows what they're doing. There's quite a few knowledgeable chaps on here who have IDS and know what they're doing..just depends on where you are. If not you'll be bending over at your local Ford dealer.

Sometimes all it needs is a good service, a clean fuel filter and a good session on IDS to diagnose any issues and, if all is good... do the pump & injector learns etc...

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby trannyvanman16 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:51 pm

Hi
thanks for getting back to me not sure on the code reader i ashume it was a snapon one but cant prove this.
van pulls very well when warm and ive had over a ton behind her the other day and she supprisingly pulled well for a 100bhp nice and smooth.

the guy im using said he did a leak of test and all was ok. ??

whats the scv / prv issue as i spoke to the guy whos doing it and he didnt no what i ment ? he also reckoned that a fuel rail pressure sensor isnt available seperatly and you have to get a complete fuel rail at 700? but like he said he doesn't want to do this if its not needed.

its had a new fuel filter (genuine ford)

im located in north yorkshire do you no if anyone around there has the ford software?

im getting to the point were if i have to get it to my local ford dealer i will as im throwing money and guessing games and not getting anywere.
do you recon ford will be able to diagnose it ? someone told me ford are very lightly to plug it in, bolt stuff on and charge me ?

thanks
Tom
trannyvanman16
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ake » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:30 pm

A 100ps 2.2 from 2012 will be a Euro 5. So scv and prv are not relevant, that refers to the Earlier Euro 4

Euro 5 run badly from cold if battery is weak

You need someone to put it on IDS, check the data then do the various fuel system reset and relearns, then see how it goes

Where are you located?
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby walt1984 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:32 am

Where abouts in north yorks are you.?

Sent from my P330X using Tapatalk
"due to ever increasing work load the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off!"
walt1984
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby walt1984 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:35 am

Mine was doing this until i cleared learned valves of various things.

"due to ever increasing work load the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off!"
walt1984
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby trannyvanman16 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:04 am

well its interesting you say that as the battery is weak i have charged it but didnt seem to help i think its shagged...... and im located near harrogate

thanks
Tom
trannyvanman16
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby trannyvanman16 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:07 am

walt1984 have you got ids ?

thanks
Tom
trannyvanman16
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby walt1984 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:19 am

Yeah. Dont claim to know what im doing with it. But managed to sort mine.
Im near skipton.

walt1984
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby trannyvanman16 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:12 pm

haha legend
would you fancy plugging it in and we can give it a go see what we can sort ? Bit of cash your way like ?

thanks
Tom
trannyvanman16
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby walt1984 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:50 pm

Yeah if i can help ill try.

walt1984
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby amlav » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:06 am

walt1984 wrote:Yeah if i can help ill try.

Yea , thats the spirit ....
amlav
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby walt1984 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:09 pm

Pm or email me how ever it works.
Im about on sunday. Ill plug mine in tonight to make sure everything works then its not a wasted trip.

walt1984
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby trannyvanman16 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:07 pm

Hi bud sorry for the late reply manic weekend erm what I'll do is probably pop over after Christmas if that's ok?
Got loads to-do like
Did it work ok on yours ?
Thanks
Tom
trannyvanman16
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby trannyvanman16 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:09 pm

Can't believe Christmas is nearly 3weeks away haha
Yeah if that's ok with your self I'll bob over after Christmas into the new year if i get time before I'll pm you and sort something
Thanks
Tom
trannyvanman16
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits