*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

My Transit does get me mad some times

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

My Transit does get me mad some times

Postby Marauder » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:35 am

2008,2.2.SWB.120,000 miles,Ever so often this problem crops up.In the summer I was pulling away from T/lights when I only had tick over power to move off, Engine jumped and staggered Farted about as soon as I started to excelorate then engine cut out.Pulled over Started it and off I went all ok.Well the last few days its started again !! I thought A good thrashing and choice words had it sorted but it hadent.Take yesterday Jump in start up although it was still -2 here.Moved the Van off the drive on tick-over only.. Then went to excelorate and about one and a half thousand revs engine surges power in and out then it picks up all ok...Get down to the main road pull out and it wont excelorate all I have is tickover speed,Engine jumps farts about and off I go. Rest of the day all ok..I look on here at all the things you guys do to keep your vans running great if you can do this,So if I was rich and a not pensioner it would be great to take in to a main Dealer.But I dont have that sort of money.I have a cheap code reader which I used the other day to switch off the EML light, EGR prob.But its for the basic things.The thing is to try and cure this problem Im thinking of having the EGR assembly removed and my ECU altered to stop the EML light on dash coming on.But to start buying some parts and replacing on the off-chance is a big No ,Then I read about the Learns that need to be carried out on things like pump/ecu/injectors/prv. plus other things...So ok you fit a part.What do you have to do next ? Put the Van on a Trailer or tow it to Fords Garage for a learn every time you replace a part...Its starting to get to me bit.I have had Transits now for over 25 years and every one gets more and more complicated that working on them is almost impossible..I have Had this Mk7 Van 4 years now and I love the van so when I packed up work I kept the Van.. I just dont know what to do.Use it like it is ,Park it up and say thats it.. Then use my car. First is to see who could remove the EGR thingy and and alter the ECU to stop Dash light coming on.I live 10 miles South of Birmingham Any one close or in Brum who could do the EGR.ANY thoughts are welcome. :( Please no sarcastic remarks as it doing me head in.
Ford Transit 280 SWB,,Year 2008,,2.2,, If it can,t be fixed/repaired/ with a 4 pound lump hammer then it must be an electrical problem.
Marauder
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: My Transit does get me mad some times

Postby Marauder » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:36 am

How sad,How very sad,A forum to help and discuss problems with Transits and not one reply,Yes I know the problem of Transits going low power and cutting out just after Tick over speed and low power/revs has been discussed on here.. However it is nice just to get some reassurance, That is all whats needed !....... Now if I had asked something like how many lights has your Transit got on it/in it.Or what Alloys can I fit, There would of been about 10,000 reply's/answers. Ok now you can put me down ! Whose going to be the First>>>>>> Don't worry I will NOT ask any more questions regarding Transit.So over to you. :(
Ford Transit 280 SWB,,Year 2008,,2.2,, If it can,t be fixed/repaired/ with a 4 pound lump hammer then it must be an electrical problem.
Marauder
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby amlav » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:58 am

Unfortunatley your problem could only be pin pointed by having the codes read on IDS .
Otherwise it will be just a guesing game and just swaping bits could cost a lot more .
Nobody can tell you exactly what could be the problem . People can give you advises but that would be only that.
Start and check a few things like battery and do a visual check on hoses , wiring connections ....just do as much as you can than if still no good take it to dealership unless there is somebody on this site to help you have the codes read .
amlav
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Marauder » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:12 pm

Thank you.I am going to order a SCV also a PRV I think its called then remove the EGR.Thanks.
Marauder
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby loot » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:06 pm

Get a pcm update done and fuel pump learn and injectors learn, don't buy valves yet.
See if someone is near you with ids and likes biscuits.

Egr can be blanked to test, they are only a few pounds for the blank plate.

Batteries can be drop tested free usually at some select garages.

And stop being grumpy it isn't our fault you bought a mk7 and haven't got much money :-(
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby DrDeAtH » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:26 pm

Blanking the EGR on a mk7 will only being up the fault light. Fine for testing, but if it's broken, replace it.

Bitching about people not giving you an instant reply is a bit off.
Forum members are here as and when. Nobody is online 24/7.
Be patient and respectful, others will then help.

If you can't afford IDS, buy an ELM327 off eBay and use ForScan. That will get you most of the way to sorting the problems. Certainly for pump learns and injector coding.
DrDeAtH
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Aidanb » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:03 pm

Redditch then? Have ids but no laptop at the moment unfortunately
Aidanb
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Aidanb » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:04 pm

Bloody phone, just saw Henley. If you have a laptop can use mine
Aidanb
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Marauder » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:48 am

Ok I apologies guys,I'm sorry,I was having a really bad day with the van.
Aidanb,Thanks for the offer,My computer is a desktop so not really able to use it ..I prob would not know what/or how/ to implement those Learn codes.Any one within a 20 mile radius able to to reset my learn things with one of those IDS things. :oops:
Marauder
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby mnxtrany » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:23 pm

I can sympathize with you I am also a pensioner.
In the 60s 70s and 80s I could do vehicle repairs without too much hassle.
Now it is a pain there's not much info in the wk shp mls and as much as about hens teeth as about the electronics.
The savings made on fuel consumption is lost in the cost of diagnostics and complete replacements.
The reduction in pollution is lost in the cost of manufacture, replacements and diagnostic fault finding, access - having to take of numerous things to get at something, all black light absorbing plastic, if you can get your hand in you can't see the thing you need to get at. Frustration who wants it?
The earths temp' is up a few degrees there's a few more to go before methane could be released into the atmosphere and then endo.
It is rather satisfying to know that the younger ones of today are going to find that they'll be in the same boat as us oldies plus they'll have a whole world problem as well.
The island on which I live was okay up until the late 70s now they rush about in their lease vehicles, tail gate, don't give way and brake only if they have to.
They get angry when the rule of the road is pointed out to them, it is your fault for being older and not giving way to them, putting them in a compromising situation.
Like undisciplined 12 yr olds.
They are on a life boat in space and they make holes in it.
Lemmings rushing to the cliff edge egged on by choosedly ignorant middle management.

Mines a mk 6 so I don't know about the mk 7s.
So check the wires and connectors especially on the accelerator and at the injectors ect.
Maybe Fords are like IVECO - it vibrates everything comes off.
Ford Transit, 3.5, Mk6, 2.4 (90PS) 88.76 HP 66.19 KW Duratorq DI diesel, 2000 Luton back, Tail lift, MWB, DRWD.
mnxtrany
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ake » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:26 pm

Start at the beginning. You've read the codes and got egr codes, so try removing the egr and cleaning it up, it may just begun led up and needing a clean
Don't buy any fuel parts yet.
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Jim Archer » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:05 am

Possible throttle pedal?

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Marauder » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:41 am

I will take a look later on when it warms up. The van runs great and pulls great, Its only when ive been traffic for about 10 mins that I am reduced to it cutting out and tick over power. I have taken on board all the suggestions that have been made, And thank you.I had stopped an order for some chepo PRV/SCV. Mid week I am going to buy Genuine Ford PRV and a SCV and fit those first see how it runs , I realise they will cost me about £200.If it runs bad,Then I will try and find some one with a IDS thingy. Near to me 10 miles South of Birmingham.
Marauder
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby loot » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:02 pm

Just so we're clear, the dead throttle pedal is not normally a fault of the prv/scv or learns, it may only be an issue in 2 ways that i can think of, 1, pedal failing or 2, earlier pcm software that is pre anti stall circa 2011.5 ish.
Problem used to be that when the engine cut out and you tried to start it immediately it wouldn't start or it would but there was no throttle.

So, as i suggested, you should get a pcm update first and try the pump and pilot learns.

Ids also has a throttle pedal test, but I'd get the update, check for codes then worry about the valves.(unless you've gone out of your way to get to diagnostics, if the original valves are years old then just do them.

That is my advice.
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby maccmowers » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:28 pm

Loot - may I enquire as to your comment on the software issue? I have a starting problem with my 2007 2.4 115ps which sometimes when hot, if you switch the engine off then try to start it again it cranks and cranks for about 5-8 seconds before firing up.

Are you saying this is the pedal at fault or the software? Cheers.
07 2.4 TDCI RWD MWB SHR
maccmowers
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits