*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

New headbolts for p8fa engines

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

New headbolts for p8fa engines

Postby Cellutron » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:35 am

My long standing mk7 2.2 tdci 2007 engine rebuild

This is the engine previously talked about for knocking, full of jelly and subsequent to the ill flushing, ending up with scored cylinder bore no. 3 being badly scored, head has a crack.
So far, a new liner fitted, new pistons and conrods, and shells. The bottom end looks good. Managed to get some 5 cylinderheads, 2 off are serviced and ready to go on. So started looking for new bolts. Fords come at 18x£7.44 each! The best price matching Fords partnumber is tpuk who has banned me for returning wrong parts in the past- quite out of order but that's their prerogative. I purchased from shirley9293 at £43 with gasket, but look poor and different imprint on their heads: 10.9 as opposed to my original 11.20- these numbers I think represent breaking and stretching points- here I need advice: what are the true specs - length Unstretched, breaking and stretch points and where to get at reasonable price?

Whilst finalising the bottom end, Haynes manual talks about lining up the crankshaft cover within minute tolerances! It was frustrating as I couldn't achieve a perfect line up with the block with those tolerances. Eventually I torqued up but ever since, it has been gnawing at my brain in case the out of line crankshaft case by this tiny amount would lead to some potential issue when timing chain cover when it goes on or elsewhere. I hate to untorque the case then replace the new gaskets again to mess about achieving better tolerance .Please dissuade me from doing so!
Cellutron
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: New headbolts for p8fa engines

Postby Cellutron » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:23 pm

Clearly not enough enthusiasm!

Just to update: the bolts for this engine should be rated 11.20. This was confirmed by Fords part number. TPUK has the right part number and item, managed to get an account holder to order; the quality is good and the price is 1/5th of dealers'
So now a step forward. The head is on with right new bolts, camshafts in, carrier on, waiting for the next dry day to torque up.
Until next hurdle and question- haste luego!
Cellutron
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:27 pm

8) :)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Cellutron » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:36 pm

Just to report on the engine rebuild saga!
Engine put together at last with love and care, new pistons, conrods, cyl. 3 new liner, second head and rockers rebuilt with new stem seals, new chain chain, tensioner, oil pump, shells, etc. Back in and started engine almost without any trouble. No smoke, just a few teasing issues: temp. guage not moving, a bit of hunting, accelerator quit responsive. Took it out round the block a couple of times, no issues. Apart from engine light, and temperature guage, van behaved quite well. So searched round ebay for cheap diagnostic gear, after 3 bad choices and return processes, managed to get hold of a working set up to recode 2 replacement injectors. First found blown fuse to do with obd connector. Replace the 10A fuse. Initial fault codes cleared without problem. Then attempted the coding of injectors. From here on, things went down hill!
Injector 1 and 4- with no 4, no problem, coded instantly. Number 1 refuses to change- tried all different combinations to no avail. As this process is no really crucial in worn out fuel systems, The follow up codes refered to high pressure valve and pressure relief valve, and head temp. sensor. As the original thermostat was also suspect, ordered all parts from ebay and replaced. Temp. Issues went away. Fault codes still showed fuel pressure fault. As I had 2 new scv valves, I tried all with same fault codes appearing.I went on to the second stage- pump learn. Engine lost its Rpm above 500, accelerator stopped working, lots of black fluffy smoke from exhaust, and the re-learn failed, three times and every time harder to keep the engine going at a decent rev. and still no accelerator. Finally refusing to start. Loosened the fuel Line unions to injectors, only number 3 showed a drop leaking, not a drop from the other feeds to injectors. Clearly no fuel in the common rail. Hence P0089 ( and P268B showing adaptation failure)- so given up for the moment.
My sense is perhaps the accelerator pot failed, causing low RPM whilst doing the re-learn of the pump, leading to low fuel pressure adaptation; then why the heavy smoke? When diag. with accelerator plug removed, the pedal codes appear, with the connector on the pedal, no faults appear, so, does this mean accelerator is good but somehow the pcm doesn't allow it? A resistance check of the pins of the pot connector shows open circuit though!
I wonder a kind soul out there can give me a helping thought! Many thanks.
Cellutron
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:12 am

If the fuel rail pressure is low...the PCM won't activate the injectors.

Were your SCV & PRV genuine Ford items..?? We've had issues with non-genuine ones.

Lord Knobrot.
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby v8dave » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:26 pm

The accelerator pedal is not one single potentiometer but two or three in same housing.
One is reversed so that it's value drops as the other(s) increase.

What code reader and software do you have ? does it offer a throttle pedal test.

Throttle pedal issue should be causing a dtc.
mk7 08reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD
mk6 X reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD - scrapped
mk4 J reg 2.5 L300 LWB MHR RWD - sold on

Notice a trend there ? not too big and not too small
v8dave
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Cellutron » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:20 pm

knobby1 wrote:If the fuel rail pressure is low...the PCM won't activate the injectors.

Were your SCV & PRV genuine Ford items..?? We've had issues with non-genuine ones.

Lord Knobrot.

Thanks for your input. Fault codes p0089 and p368b came up before the demise. Looking at my notes whilst diagnosing, it appears that the first attempt to calibrate fuel pump was what caused it to die in the end.
The prv and scv were from ebay. The initial test after the installation did clear the faults and only registered p268b which is fuel pump not calibrated. The attempt to calibrate then made the' scv circuit low' p0089 to reappear.
The scv is a genuine Nissan made in Thailand at 1/3 of the price and assured to be exact good quality replacement.
I would much like to get it to its original state before the calibration to then suspect the new scv and prv if at all possible.
Current state is :
1. Engine not starting
2. No fuel in common rail
3. Accelerator pedal didn't do anything but no relevant fault code for this unless cable is removed from it
4. Not sure if it needs a pcm software update which I can't do anyway
5. As mentioned, not sure if the low RPM during the calibration had anything to do with calibration failure

Many thanks
Cellutron
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Cellutron » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:41 pm

v8dave wrote:The accelerator pedal is not one single potentiometer but two or three in same housing.
One is reversed so that it's value drops as the other(s) increase.

What code reader and software do you have ? does it offer a throttle pedal test.

Throttle pedal issue should be causing a dtc.

Thank you for feedback.
The code reader is a non vm2 but a £60 Chinese non branded that works on multiple cars and vans. It does work though, I hope!
There was no pedal dtc to begin with until pedal cable was remove. Replacing the connector then showed no pedal fault.
So, when it ran before, why no throttle function?
is it possible that no or low fuel pressure causing no throttle function by pcm?

Many thanks
Cellutron
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Engine Rebuild on a rattling/knocking Engine

Postby Cellutron » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:00 pm

Hello
As promised, here is the final analysis and the end of a year spent, mostly in my mind, working hard to finish this project.
My last report was regarding clouds of soot and no acceleration pedal, RPM of 4-500, conking out, etc. The most puzzling part was that I truly believed in my good work in assembling the engine and following all the good old engineering practices. But in my old age, I must have lost a few things on the way- my memory!!
The problem did not make sense from its inception! I was wrongly focusing on an area of the diagnostic repair work that had been done meticulously. But doubt set in and I diverged into all sorts of panicky wrong decisions and actions; redoing everything that had been done perfectly and all changed parts working as they should. I neglected the first principle of diagnose based on symptoms- and the symptoms could not have been clearer! soot, black smoke, low rpm, no pedal==========the poor thing was choking! However, in hindsight, it seems easy, but at the time, I had no reason to look where I should have in the first place. NO AIR WAS GETTING THROUGH the inlet!!!! But why? Follow the Turbo route to find out-
Preoccupied with fuel pump, air in fuel lines, high pressure switches, injectors, etc, I had added weight to my absentmindedness! In attempting to prevent dirt ingress whilst working on fuel system, I had stuffed a rag in the main orifice leading to Turbo. Then sat in the cabin to do the diagnostic and pump learn- this required engine start to get to right temperature- forgetting there was a rag in there, started engine, the rag was sucked in and stuck to the turbo!!!! and that was it!, The pump was good, the SCV was good, the prv was good, the air in the fuel line did not matter at all. As soon as Turbo was cleared, it started, and ran sweet all the way to MOT centre where it failed the esp switch- it is here under esp heading, hoping to resolve it very quickly or pay another mot fee!!
David
Cellutron
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits