*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Window washer won't stop

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Window washer won't stop

Postby Rairb1 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:52 pm

Hi all newbie transit owner here, 2005 mk6 I believe 2.0 durateq ex post office.

Purchased last week (Gumtree) after driving in the salty road conditions I tried to clean my windscreen but nothing, no wiper movement and no water and also no audible noise from the washer pump. After checking some fuses which I found online and were good, I then decided to check where the pump was located. After peeling back the plastic trim in the front near side wheelarch I found that the plug for the pump was just dangling there. So I put it back on, went to try it but still nothing. I left it plugged in anyway so I just started the van up and began to drive away when all of a sudden the water started to spray as it's supposed to from the washer jets, but it wouldn't stop, kept going until I removed the plug from the pump. Is the pump goosed or something more sinister like wiring problems etc.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Rairb1

Re: Window washer won't stop

Postby ake » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:27 pm

The wiring to the pump has worn through and is shorting to earth on the body work.
The motor has a permanent live, and the earth is switched, so if the earth shorts, the pump runs.

Trace the wiring back from the pump to find the bad bit
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby rossco_pb » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:50 am

Does the washer button on the end of the stalk depress/release correctly? The mk6 I had was a pain when trying to operate the washers, ie one had to press really hard on the button to make it work - perhaps your button is jammed down making permanent contact??
"there is always one..."

2009 2.4TD 140ps Duratorq, LWB dual rear wheel
2000 2.4TD 120ps Duratorq, LWB dual rear wheel - 3 tonne campervan
rossco_pb
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Marauder » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:10 am

Just thinking out loud. Find the live wire on that plug that you plugged back in. Cut the wire and put a switch on your dashboard somewhere. Then just hit the new switch when you want to wash your screen.Saves a lot of pissing about if you Cant find the fault.
Ford Transit 280 SWB,,Year 2008,,2.2,, If it can,t be fixed/repaired/ with a 4 pound lump hammer then it must be an electrical problem.
Marauder
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ake » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:31 pm

Marauder wrote:Just thinking out loud. Find the live wire on that plug that you plugged back in. Cut the wire and put a switch on your dashboard somewhere. Then just hit the new switch when you want to wash your screen.Saves a lot of pissing about if you Cant find the fault.

That's rough as boars sh*t.

Do it properly, trace and repair the loom, it'll be just as quick
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Rairb1 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:38 pm

Going into the garage on Wednesday, think I've bought a lemon!!!! Left indicator not working, you can hear the audible clicking but both font and rear indicators not flashing at all, also the dashboard lights are really dim and sort of pulse with the indicators. The heater controls have no illumination either. On the plus side it drives really well and has a great heater.
I've only purchased this van to use now and again to collect and deliver furniture which I upcycle, so I'm not driving it every day. I'd just like it to do what it's supposed to ie indicate and clean my windscreen lol.
Rairb1

Postby knobby1 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:33 pm

TBH...if these are your only issues....you've not bought a "Lemon", seems you just have a couple of electrical gremlins....we have some poor chaps who have no-end of mechanical issues, horrible rust and some who can't even drive their machines.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Altransit » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:50 pm

Rairb1 wrote:Going into the garage on Wednesday, think I've bought a lemon!!!! Left indicator not working, you can hear the audible clicking but both font and rear indicators not flashing at all, also the dashboard lights are really dim and sort of pulse with the indicators. The heater controls have no illumination either.

I wouldn't be surprised if all of that is caused by one dodgy earth cable connection, so maybe locate all of them, clean the connections and make good :idea:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby knobby1 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:01 pm

Altransit wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if all of that is caused by one dodgy earth cable connection, so maybe locate all of them, clean the connections and make good :idea:

+1..!

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Rairb1 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:59 pm

Van went to the garage, didn't even start on the electrics. Got a phone call asking me to come down, van sills are completely rotten both sides and also the drivers step. Some very creative and artistic previous owner has decided to fill the holes with white silicone sealer, smoothed it as best they could and then painted it in the black under sealer. Approx about £800 worth of proper welding needed. Anyway that's another problem.
Checked my hazard lights. They don't work at all, not even an audible noise from them. Right indicator has been playing up but after a few goes (6 or 7) it works, and of course the left indicator, nothing. Totally scunnered with it.
Rairb1

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits