*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

mk6 noisy top end

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: mk6 noisy top end

Postby knobby1 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:47 pm

chris72a wrote:
knobby1 wrote:Isn't that standard equipment on a Mk6..?? :roll: :wink:

I'll get me coat... :oops:

Lord Knobrot

Why u bagging the MK6 you know you want one :-)

Actually I wouldn't mind getting one....still see a few in good nick getting around Sydney too...

But after having a reasonable Mk7 for a while.... I think I'll stick with what I have...she gets along OK..

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ajpmsport » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:25 am

Punto443 wrote:That'll be a tddi and a vp30 pump

Possibly the timing solenoid faulty?
Should be a fault code if it is?
Glowplug light flashing?

Had the van in the garage today. Had the codes read, but left them up the garage. Notes of advanced fuel timing, reduce the fuel pressure.
As far as i can tell the fuel injection pump does not have a timing solenoid.
So does this mean a new pump possibly.
Also does this mean it will have to be programmed in to read the key, and the only place that can do this is fords ?
ajpmsport
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby chris72a » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:29 am

I'd be visiting another garage if they are telling you no solenoid both vp30 and vp44 have them, it is more than likely easier for them to change the whole pump and they make more money, yes the ecu will need reprogramming unless the pump has been virginised. Mine was a pain to do but it only costed me 180 AU$ for the solenoid and some time to do the repair I had to pull pump out to get to it.

Cheers
Chris.
chris72a
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ajpmsport » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:15 am

chris72a wrote:I'd be visiting another garage if they are telling you no solenoid both vp30 and vp44 have them, it is more than likely easier for them to change the whole pump and they make more money, yes the ecu will need reprogramming unless the pump has been virginised. Mine was a pain to do but it only costed me 180 AU$ for the solenoid and some time to do the repair I had to pull pump out to get to it.

Cheers
Chris.

ok thanks, no the garage is fine, good friend of mine trying to help out. SO both pumps have timing solenoid. We crawled all round it with mirrors and torches, but couldn`t find anything.
Looked at a later engine today but that was completely different (common rail) which had a solenoid on the back of the pump.
Is there anywhere on here that will point me in the right direction or explain where the solenoid will be.
Thanks.
ajpmsport
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby chris72a » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:40 am

Pump1.jpg

Image of the pump pointing out the solenoid
might help you locate it :-)

Cheers
Chris.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chris72a
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby chris72a » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:41 am

BTW I had to take starter motor out, oil cooler before I could see it :-) But then ended up having to take the whole pump out anyway :-(
chris72a
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Crankshaft » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:15 am

Definitely check the pump timing as Chris said, both of us changed the solenoid and found the pump timing was out as well.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk
Crankshaft
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby chris72a » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:17 am

Crankshaft wrote:Definitely check the pump timing as Chris said, both of us changed the solenoid and found the pump timing was out as well.

LOL only with your help CS :-)
chris72a
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Crankshaft » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:19 am

[SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND TIGHTLY-CLOSED EYES]

Crankshaft
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ajpmsport » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:57 pm

chris72a wrote:
Crankshaft wrote:Definitely check the pump timing as Chris said, both of us changed the solenoid and found the pump timing was out as well.

LOL only with your help CS :-)

Thanks for all your help guys, I`m determined to get to the bottom of it.
So am I right in saying I`m pretty sure the pump is timed by the timing chain. ?
Another question, do all injection pumps of this era have timing solenoids ?
Thanks
ajpmsport
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Crankshaft » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:36 pm

Yes, driven by the timing chain and yes, all of the vp30 and vp44 pumps fitted to the non common rail transits of the era have solenoids.

Crankshaft
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ajpmsport » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:41 pm

ok, just crawled under it "again". I can now see the solenoid on the side, and just make out something on the back, I can`t even get a torch or camera in there or a finger. Is it worth changing both solenoids or just the timing one ?
Could you explain how I check my pump timing though. Cheers.
ajpmsport
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ajpmsport » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:58 pm

Crankshaft wrote:Yes, driven by the timing chain and yes, all of the vp30 and vp44 pumps fitted to the non common rail transits of the era have solenoids.

THANKYOU
ajpmsport
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Crankshaft » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:17 pm

ajpmsport wrote:ok, just crawled under it "again". I can now see the solenoid on the side, and just make out something on the back, I can`t even get a torch or camera in there or a finger. Is it worth changing both solenoids or just the timing one ?

No point changing solenoids if the problem is just timing. They are a b@stard to change too.
The timing is checked using a timing pin kit for the duratorq engine.

The crank sensor is removed and a pin fitted in its place, turn the crank until the pin engages into a slot in the flywheel. Remove the pump sprocket cover in the timing case and insert a small pin through the sprocket into the pump body. If it fits in all the way up to the pin shoulder then the timing is good, if not you'll need to loosen the 3 bolts behind the sprocket, loosen the injection pipes at the pump and loosen the pump rear bracket to adjust.

Sounds a lot of work but nothing compared to removed the timing solenoid which is usually seized in with rust.

The other solenoid between the tubes that connect the injection pipes regulates the quantity of fuel injected, if this fails the engine will not start at all.

Crankshaft
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ajpmsport » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:03 pm

Crankshaft wrote:
ajpmsport wrote:ok, just crawled under it "again". I can now see the solenoid on the side, and just make out something on the back, I can`t even get a torch or camera in there or a finger. Is it worth changing both solenoids or just the timing one ?

No point changing solenoids if the problem is just timing. They are a b@stard to change too.
The timing is checked using a timing pin kit for the duratorq engine.

The crank sensor is removed and a pin fitted in its place, turn the crank until the pin engages into a slot in the flywheel. Remove the pump sprocket cover in the timing case and insert a small pin through the sprocket into the pump body. If it fits in all the way up to the pin shoulder then the timing is good, if not you'll need to loosen the 3 bolts behind the sprocket, loosen the injection pipes at the pump and loosen the pump rear bracket to adjust.

Sounds a lot of work but nothing compared to removed the timing solenoid which is usually seized in with rust.

The other solenoid between the tubes that connect the injection pipes regulates the quantity of fuel injected, if this fails the engine will not start at all.

Thats a great help thankyou, thats the first job then. I have changed the chain in the past so the crank sensor shouldnt be to bad to remove.
Thanks.
ajpmsport
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

PreviousNext

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits