*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Pump learning question

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: Pump learning question

Postby karl » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:43 pm

:? i bought one like that from andrew pages same box but wasnt packed like that just had the protection cap on it and wraped in bubble wrap :shock:
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby maccmowers » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:00 am

I bought the SCV and PRV from PF Jones and had similar issues.

I had the software updated at Ford then fitted the parts. The pump learn passed but injector learn failed at pressure point 4 leaving code 84 (uneven rail pressure). So I tested the PRV just in case and found it had blown immediately while completing the learns! It'll be going back for a refund and I'll fit genuine.
07 2.4 TDCI RWD MWB SHR
maccmowers
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby loot » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:39 am

Has anyone got in touch with them to give them a heads up or to ask why?

And why are the cheap ones junk every time? Doesn't the makers test them? Are they for different vehicles and don't work on Ford? Or do they just not care? Do they expect them to just get fitted and it's it only the Ford that needs the learns?
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby karl » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:41 am

loot wrote:Has anyone got in touch with them to give them a heads up or to ask why?

And why are the cheap ones junk every time? Doesn't the makers test them? Are they for different vehicles and don't work on Ford? Or do they just not care? Do they expect them to just get fitted and it's it only the Ford that needs the learns?

yep i took one back the other week and their response was we sell hundreds with no problem, and to be fair this is the only time i took one back have a load of them but this one wouldnt have it :(
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby Stream » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:01 pm

loot wrote:

With a genuine ford prv and the scv from pf jones, it was a very inconsistent and low fuel pressure and it was still hunting on idle. I replaced the scv with a (genuine) denso boxed one, I bought at a local dieselcentre, and had a constant fuel pressure and no more hunting on idle and no problems with the learnings.

Long story short. It looks like to me they are selling replica's, why else would you unpack it, seal the scv and put it back in a different box. That make no sense to me.
Otherwise maybey Denso had several scv with different spec :?: and what you get from pfjones is whatever they can get and sometimes you get bad luck :?: :?

As far as I know, all the vehicles that uses a scv, you need to do a relearn of the ecu.
Stream
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby loot » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:58 pm

You'd expect so :-)

This isn't isolated tho i read the other week someone had the same results with pf Jones didn't they? Unless I'm mistaken and it is the same instance?

It isn't uncommon that bulk buying from the manufacturer results in less packaging, this saves money on logistics etc so I'm not surprised if pf jones repack them.

The picture of the prv does worry me tho, the pf Jones 1 appears a bit rougher, i would even speculate that it may have been put back together and re crimped :shock:

But i don't believe they'd do that, I've only heard reasonably good things about them tbh and I'm not suggesting there is anything dishonest going on.

Here's a thought-

The prv and scv have moving parts inside that need to work smoothly, so for storage reasons I'd expect them to have been pre lubricated to stop them furring up and seizing, perhaps the sealed packaging helps keep them good, perhaps they have a shelf life?. perhaps Ford sell them quickly by the bucket load?

Crazy idea, next time someone buys what looks to be a good pair of valves, and has learn problems.

Try tapping the prv flat (nose end) down onto a block of wood. (This may cause the ball and spring to jump and free off).

Also the scv, maybe some wd40 or similar thin lubricant in the end and with a blunt pipe or something that is clean, push the scv innards inside and out a few times to work it free. (It's a solenoid).

This theory could all be complete rubbish and pointless but so is buying them from 3rd parties as far as i have read on multiple occasions :cry: (but ppl still do)

Especially when someone comes on asking where to buy them from and we say Ford and then they come back all chuffed because they bought 10 on eBay for 6.50p and they think we're stupid and work for Ford on commission then the next week they come back cap in hand, can't do the learns #lordtakemenowicry.

Come on chaps you know you are out there :lol: :mrgreen:
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Punto443 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:16 pm

TBH I'd rather just buy one from ford, even if it costs 2or3 times the price, times money to me and and if your paying labour for it, you'll soon be at the same cost or more by the time you muck about with a cheap sh*t part.
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Postby maccmowers » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:56 pm

I agree with Loot on the SCV theory.

I read on (I think) a Toyota forum that they get starting issues and by removing the SCV (Denso) and lubricating/tapping/working it, it cures it! Toyota have come up with a modified version that is a bit bigger to solve it for good.
07 2.4 TDCI RWD MWB SHR
maccmowers
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Previous

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits