*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Newbie requiring some help / informtion

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Newbie requiring some help / informtion

Postby Yog1 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:18 pm

Hello all,

I'm a newbie who owns (but not for long) a Ford Transit 350 LWB TD van which has been converted in to a campervan. Both my wife and I have had such good fun taking the van to festivals etc. We even spent a couple of weeks on honeymoon in it, which was a delight. Unfortunately we now have to sell it because we need the money to pay off debts. The problem is that we can't sell it as it is because it needs replacement fuel injectors. I was quoted £480 + VAT to have these renewed. As this is money I just don't have I sought another approach. A friend then told me of a Transit spares outlet in Birmingham where they break down old Transits :( Anyway, I went there this morning and bought 4no replacements for only £40. I then rang the mobile mechanic that I had contacted after the £480 quote (he will fit for only £70 labour) and he indicated that I would also need new copper seals for the injectors. I then rang my local Ford dealership in Kings Norton in Birmingham and they said that they don't do the seals on their own but that they come with each new injector.

To cut a long story a bit shorter I am on here to ask if anybody knows where I can get 4no copper seals for a 2003 registered Transit TD? I think this makes it a mark 4, but stand to be corrected if this isn't the case. I have looked on ebay etc and can only see copper seals for things like a mark 7 etc and not a mark 4. Can anybody tll me whether any of the seals for different marks of transit vans are interchangeable?

Apologies that my first post is that of a request for information. It's just that I'm skint, need help, and thought I'd ask the crew who really know their stuff on Transits. Not trying to flatter, but I suspect that is you on here. I spend a lot of my life on another forum (efestivals) and know that it's a friendly forum where people give advice freely and happily. If you put a gun to my head I'd say that this forum is the same in that respect. So, once again, apologies for it being a bit of an ask on my first post, but as I have said, I need to sell my Transit which means I wouldn't get to post too much on here anyway.

All the best.

Kevin
Yog1

Re: Newbie requiring some help / informtion

Postby Altransit » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:16 pm

Welcome,
you have a Mk6, or Transit 2000>, but do you know if it's a TDDi (mechanical injectors) or a TDCi (electro mechanical, with attached wires as well as pipes!) :?:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Yog1 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:40 pm

Hello Altansit,

Thanks for replying. The ones that I have are mechanicl injectors (apologies, I should have made this clear).

I was way off on the mark of transit I own. Thanks for clariying,

Kev
Yog1

Postby bambi mk 1 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:45 pm

Are you sure its the injectors :?: Why are they being changed is the engine noisy :?:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby scas » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:50 pm

i may be wrong- i usually am- but no di mk6 ive owned has had washers on the injectors, unless theyre buried ito the head and dont fall out
06 mk6 2.4 di 115 remapped by martyn
04 mk6 2.4 di 115 remapped by martyn
04 mk6 2.4 di 90
05 mk6 2.4 di 115
new 06 mk6 2.4 di 115
new 00 mk6 2.4 di 125
can you see a pattern
scas
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Yog1 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:55 pm

bambi mk 1 wrote:Are you sure its the injectors :?: Why are they being changed is the engine noisy :?:

Yes, the engine is noisy and a mechanic I took it to said it was two of the fuel injectors that were faulty.
Yog1

Postby Yog1 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:57 pm

scas wrote:i may be wrong- i usually am- but no di mk6 ive owned has had washers on the injectors, unless theyre buried ito the head and dont fall out

I'm afraid I have no idea on the mark 6 or any other mark. My knowledge of engines stops at knowing I need to put oil and water in everynow and then. :)
Yog1

Postby ray1965 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:01 pm

scas wrote:i may be wrong- i usually am- but no di mk6 ive owned has had washers on the injectors, unless theyre buried ito the head and dont fall out

the copper washers are on the leak off pipe unions on the DI, and theres 8 of them, do what i did and go on flea bay and buy a set of assorted copper washers

and for the record, my new ford injectors didnt come with them, but that said, i didnt get the injectors from Ford
ray1965
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bambi mk 1 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:26 pm

There are aluminum washers on a mk 6 Get the codes read it may be your timing solenoid that's causing the racket :wink:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Yog1 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:23 pm

OK, thank you very much for the replies. I'll go back to my mechanic with the information.

Cheers

Kev :)
Yog1

Postby scas » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:24 pm

ray1965 wrote:

the copper washers are on the leak off pipe unions on the DI, and theres 8 of them
, do what i did and go on flea bay and buy a set of assorted copper washers

and for the record, my new ford injectors didnt come with them, but that said, i didnt get the injectors from Ford

if its just the washers on the return pipe, you probably dont need to change them-ive never had a leaking one.
injector changing on all 4 takes about 45 mins to an hour if you like lots of coffee
06 mk6 2.4 di 115 remapped by martyn
04 mk6 2.4 di 115 remapped by martyn
04 mk6 2.4 di 90
05 mk6 2.4 di 115
new 06 mk6 2.4 di 115
new 00 mk6 2.4 di 125
can you see a pattern
scas
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ray1965 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:30 am

bambi mk 1 wrote:There are aluminum washers on a mk 6 Get the codes read it may be your timing solenoid that's causing the racket :wink:

mine already had copper washers fitted, probably a previous owner / mech, thats why i fitted copper ones back, also probably why they did leak then lol,
ray1965
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits