*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Help with PAS needed please.

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Help with PAS needed please.

Postby Fedupfatman » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:12 pm

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum & a new owner of a Transit van. I have a 2004 90 T350. It's awesome & I love it. However, it does have issues. The main one being the PAS. I picked the van up last Sunday & (luckily) I wasn't too far from home when I noticed the steering getting really stiff when turning. Upon inspection, I found the PAS fluid leaking (squirting) from one of the small diameter pipes on the steering rack. This morning I set about getting the rack out. I've got everything stripped, all apart from one thing. For the life of me, I cannot get the damn knuckle/collar type thingy (not sure what it's actually called) spread open so I can release the rack "pin" from the steering wheel stem and finally pull the ba**ard thing out! Does anybody know what I can do to free the rack please? Or am I going about it all the completely wrong way? Any help or advice anyone can provide will be very gratefully appreciated indeed. Thanks!
2004 90-T350 2.4 DI
Fedupfatman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Help with PAS needed please.

Postby knobby1 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:22 pm

The coupling joint at the bottom of the column where it meets the rack pinion has a pinch bolt, I believe this pinch bolt has to be removed completely for the pinion to slide out of the joint....one assumes you have removed the pinch bolt?? Could also just be corroded in.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Fedupfatman » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:27 pm

Thank you good Lord, yes I've removed the pinch bolt, but she is stuck tight. Should it just fall/slide out? If so corrosion could be at fault here. Thanks again matey, much appreciate your help.
2004 90-T350 2.4 DI
Fedupfatman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby CH1 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:29 pm

Fedupfatman wrote:Upon inspection, I found the PAS fluid leaking (squirting) from one of the small diameter pipes on the steering rack.

These pipes can be replaced without removing the rack, I've just replaced both of the pipes on my 90T350, just need to support the gear box and remove the gear box mount for better access
M1 Tyres
Mobile Tyre Fitting Service
Covering the North East
http://www.m1-tyres.co.uk

Currently running:
Mk5 swb 80 with twin SLDs
Mk7 110ps T300 fwd pickup
Mk7 125ps T350 lwb Euro5
CH1
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Fedupfatman » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:53 pm

Oh right an they? Sweet. Thanks bud.
2004 90-T350 2.4 DI
Fedupfatman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Fedupfatman » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:42 pm

Me again chaps. Managed to get the little "bleeeeeep" out. I poured some hot water over it, then gave it a few light taps with a small drift & hammer & she slid right off. Thank you again for your help everyone. However, the pressure pipes that fit from the pump & cooler, they seem to be stuck in with no obvious way to get them free. I've undone the little bracket that goes around the base of the pipes, but the pipes are stuck fast into the PAS rack housing. I've managed to work the rack out with the pipes attached (God knows how but I got it) but I was wondering if they should come out? Are they possibly corroded in too? Thanks guys.
2004 90-T350 2.4 DI
Fedupfatman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:55 pm

Fedupfatman wrote:Me again chaps. Managed to get the little "bleeeeeep" out. I poured some hot water over it, then gave it a few light taps with a small drift & hammer & she slid right off. Thank you again for your help everyone. However, the pressure pipes that fit from the pump & cooler, they seem to be stuck in with no obvious way to get them free. I've undone the little bracket that goes around the base of the pipes, but the pipes are stuck fast into the PAS rack housing. I've managed to work the rack out with the pipes attached (God knows how but I got it) but I was wondering if they should come out? Are they possibly corroded in too? Thanks guys.

Are you able to take a photo for us...might help here....they may be corroded in though..! Bloody Ford..! :wink:

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Fedupfatman » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:56 pm

If I've done this correctly, these images should be viewable. If not, it's back to the drawing board. Thanks Lord KR :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2004 90-T350 2.4 DI
Fedupfatman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:45 pm

Hmmm...Looks like corrosion is the culprit here..!

This is all I can come up with:

http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... NTM2KzA%3D

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Fedupfatman » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:09 pm

Ahh nadgers! Nice one, thank you LKR!
2004 90-T350 2.4 DI
Fedupfatman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Fedupfatman » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:38 am

Well, she's fixed, for now! Not sure how long it's gonna last with the pressure pipes being as corroded as they are, but if I get >12 months out of it I'll be a happy bunny. Thank you again for your help & advice everyone, much appreciated. Cheers. Incidentally, had to fit the rack pipes once the rack was in place, but no bolted down anywhere. That was a challenge & I realised that it's good to have a mate with smaller hands than you haha!
2004 90-T350 2.4 DI
Fedupfatman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby fitzy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:14 pm

I know this thread is 9 months old now, but I need to replace the 2 rack pipes as one of mine has just sprung a leak. Do this 2 solid rack pipes have/use ‘O’ rings or are they self sealing pipes?

Cheers

Dave
Last edited by fitzy on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2002, 52 Reg, 125-T350, LWB, Semi High Roof, Metalic Pepper Red.
Electric windows, Electric heated mirrors, Cental locking & Air Con. In the process of retro fitting Heated Screen & Fog Lights.
fitzy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby blue estate » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:21 pm

fitzy wrote:I know this thread is 9 months old now, but I need to replace the 2 rack pipes as one of mine has just sprung a leak. Do this 2 solid rack pipes have ‘O’ rings fitted or are they self sealing pipes?

Cheers

Dave

O rings
72plt MG 5 ev estate Battery car
blue estate
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby fitzy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:03 pm

blue estate wrote:O rings

Are there any part numbers for these O rings? Found the pipes on eBay but not the O rings. Plus these pipes aren’t on the ford electronic parts catalogue.
2002, 52 Reg, 125-T350, LWB, Semi High Roof, Metalic Pepper Red.
Electric windows, Electric heated mirrors, Cental locking & Air Con. In the process of retro fitting Heated Screen & Fog Lights.
fitzy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:49 pm

fitzy wrote:
blue estate wrote:O rings

Are there any part numbers for these O rings? Found the pipes on eBay but not the O rings. Plus these pipes aren’t on the ford electronic parts catalogue.

Numbers 24 & 25 here:

http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... NTM2KzA%3D

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits