*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Anti freeze

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Anti freeze

Postby Andrew1974 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:09 pm

I want to put some anti freeze into my 2.4 52 ford transit, I've got no way of telling which colour anti freeze is correct. When I checked the coolent level today it was quite low, I've checked the hoses and they all seem fine, would of dropped over winter? I don't really want to drain the whole system. Is there anyway of telling which is the correct anti freeze colour? Thanks.
Andrew1974
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Anti freeze

Postby knobby1 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:57 pm

I'd be finding out where the coolant gone first before re-filling, check for leaks underneath, water pump, failed EGR cooler etc...otherwise you'll probably be loosing it again. :?

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Andrew1974 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:02 am

Ok, Ive checked for any air locks, checked all of the hoses for any leaks or signs of leaks, the coolent level is still the same after a goid run, the coolant pulley seems to be running fine and I can't see any evidence of leaks from the coolant pump. I'm going to check the coolant level on a regular basis. Is there anything else I can check for?
Andrew1974
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Andrew1974 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:03 am

One more thing how do I check the egr? I've also checked the oil for signs of any water coming in, it's fine.
Andrew1974
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby WarrenB » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:12 pm

I had a case of the mysterious missing coolant last year. No signs on obvious leaks but it'd occasionally leave a puddle of coolant underneath when parked up after a long run and the engine was warm.

Turned out there was a tiny hole in the bottom of the radiator that was impossible to see unless you were double jointed and had a head the size of a pea.

Also worth checking the pressure cap on the coolant bottle. Only about a tenner direct from Ford so a good place to start if there's no obvious leaks.
WarrenB
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby vampirequeen » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:40 pm

Put your registration number into the Europarts website and search for antifreeze. It will show you the ones it sells that are suitable for your vehicle. Then you'll see whether it's pink or blue.
vampirequeen
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Andrew1974 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:57 pm

WarrenB wrote:I had a case of the mysterious missing coolant last year. No signs on obvious leaks but it'd occasionally leave a puddle of coolant underneath when parked up after a long run and the engine was warm.

Turned out there was a tiny hole in the bottom of the radiator that was impossible to see unless you were double jointed and had a head the size of a pea.

Also worth checking the pressure cap on the coolant bottle. Only about a tenner direct from Ford so a good place to start if there's no obvious leaks.

What could be wrong with the pressure cap? Not tightening up properly? I'll have a look at the radiator after I've been out on Saturday. Thanks.
Andrew1974
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby WarrenB » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:21 pm

Either not tight enough or antifreeze is evaporating... That's what happened on my old Defender. Replaced the cap and the coolant level stayed put after that.
WarrenB
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:50 pm

If there's no obvious leaks and you're sure you've checked everything..... and you're still loosing coolant...I'd be looking at the "EGR cooler", not the EGR valve itself....the cooler runs around the back of the cyl head, they can leak internally and the coolant goes out the exhaust so you'll not see a leak.

#1 here:

http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... I3Mg%3D%3D

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Andrew1974 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:28 pm

Update.

I've found the leak, it's at the back of the coolant pump. It's leaking slowly, I'll take a picture later. It looks like there's a seal that it's leaking through. It's at the section right at the back of the pump, three hoses meet and connect to a black part that connects to the pump, it's leaking where that section meets. Will the whole pump need replacing and how big a job is that? Or is there rubber gasket that fits inbetween or is it one sealed unit? What sort of cost will a new pump be ? Thanks for the help.
Andrew1974
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:56 pm

Andrew1974 wrote:Update.

I've found the leak, it's at the back of the coolant pump. It's leaking slowly, I'll take a picture later. It looks like there's a seal that it's leaking through. It's at the section right at the back of the pump, three hoses meet and connect to a black part that connects to the pump, it's leaking where that section meets. Will the whole pump need replacing and how big a job is that? Or is there rubber gasket that fits inbetween or is it one sealed unit? What sort of cost will a new pump be ? Thanks for the help.

Ah...good find....there's a big "O" ring which seals the plastic "Hose connector" to the pump housing, it's held on with three small-ish torx bolts. If the pump itself is ok and not leaking coolant via the "tell-tale" hole... I can't see a reason to replace it.
It can be a bit of a mare to remove and replace the plastic connector in situ so you can replace the "O" ring, the hoses and their clamps are not the easiest things to get at, you may get better access from underneath....and...you may be better off to remove the pump completely and you'll be able to replace the "O" ring easily on the bench...

If you need more info/help...just ask....that's what we're here for..! :mrgreen:

Here's a parts breakdown for you:

http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... NCsyNzI%3D

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Andrew1974 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:22 pm

I've taken a picture but not sure how to add it.
Andrew1974
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Andrew1974 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:24 pm

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Andrew1974 on Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew1974
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Andrew1974 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:25 pm

image.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andrew1974
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ABA » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:00 pm

vampirequeen wrote:Put your registration number into the Europarts website and search for antifreeze. It will show you the ones it sells that are suitable for your vehicle. Then you'll see whether it's pink or blue.

I did that it comes up with both red and blue
ABA
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits