*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

New van probs

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

New van probs

Postby Ryan121 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:01 am

Hi please help.

I have read a few posts but not able to find anything. I have just bought a 58 mht mwb t280 transit with the engine light on. They guy told me he jump started another transit with his van and the light came on.i did not believe that but was not sure and took the risk. Garage tried to do a diagnostics and was not able to read/no power, seen another garge with better equipment and he had to put a new fuse in and he got into the van computer He found fault on egr (going to try take this off and clean it) also something to do with glow plugs. I left and will sort these jobs soon, inWent onto another job that was the interior lights. None of them worked front and back but bulbs where ok. I checked the fuse and it had popped but im sure it is the same fuse the garage replaced to power the dignostics, if it is it means it keeps blowing, I have checked the witing it looks ok, could it be linked with the egr faults? Could the fuse of blown from jump starting another van? If so what other fuses could be affected from jump starting?
Tomorrow I will get the 10amp fuse and replace it and see if interior lights come on and start working. If this fixes it its just the egr problem and heater plugs that I need to sort out, if it blows again I don't know where else to start with it, also on rear bumper is a reversing sensor but I don't think it works as there is nothing in cab to operate it and it does not come on, a part of the bumper is damaged and a sensor is cracked, maybe this could be linked to interior lights? Also when I start the van it makes a beep type of alert sound, would this be because the management light is on? Van seems to drive well it's clean 220k just bought the van, the gear box sometimes had a little rattle like it wants to be in a lower gear if you put your put down a touch it it or drop a gear. It seems like it wants to go through the gears longer and as on my old van i could drive 30mph in 5th gear no problem but this van does not like it even in 4th it's more like 3rd for that speed. could this be a problem with gear box or driveshaft or just normal for these vans?

I have done air filter and ikl be doing oil and fuel fikte breaks are all good I have put some egr cleaner in the fuek take, does anyime rate this? I am going to take egr off anyway and clean it out to try and fix it, looked at blanking it like on my old van but hear withing 6months blanking will be a mot fail. After all this is done I thought about a terra clean but could this just make things worse like damage injectors? I am not a machanic but know the basics like servicing, I think I can manage with the egr it's just removing the bolts really. When I look at the egr there is a hole asif there is a missing pipe not sure on his yet. Any help would be great
Thanks in advanced by the next few days I will know more about the van and i will check the fuse if it blows I know for sure there is a problem
2.2 Fwd 2008 (58) Ford Transit 240k current :mrgreen:
Smiley pick up truck s reg (gone)
57 Mk7 Transit turendo 110 (gone)
2006 Transit 85 Mk6 swb
Ryan121
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: New van probs

Postby Punto443 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:11 am

I've moved this to the correct section for you :wink:
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Postby Ryan121 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:22 am

Thanks so much for your help. :)
2006 Transit 85 Mk6 swb
Ryan121
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby ake » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:47 pm

The wiring to the load space interior lights often gets damaged by people hanging things from the ribs and trapping the cables.
Follow the cables from the lights to the side of the van and unplug them to rule out the individual loom sections
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Ryan121 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:54 pm

I will give that a try, thank you
2006 Transit 85 Mk6 swb
Ryan121
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Ryan121 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:49 am

I took the rear interior light and wite loom out like you said and replaced the fuse, my interior light are all working now. ( left the rear out for a bit to check it does not blow but it seems good and I think it's problem sorted. The wiring i took out looked good but you never know. Thanks for the help, I just need to clean out egr now and the glow plugs, i don't know anything about them yet. Could the jump starting blow any other fuses?

I was thinking getting a terra clean does anyone think it's good? Also another technique I was looking into that is simular
2006 Transit 85 Mk6 swb
Ryan121
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits