*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Side sliding door lock problem

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Side sliding door lock problem

Postby Flowboy » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:06 pm

Hi, my 07 2.2 diesel side door doesn't open when I unlock the rear with the fob.
If I lean against the lower lock area of the door when using the fob I can get it to unlock. It seems like either the lock solenoid doesn't have oomph to disengage or the door / catch is not in the right alignment. When I got the van I had to rehang the door as the top roller mech. was xxxxd so I fitted a s/h one. The lock worked fine after this for a few years. Then it started occasionally not unlocking until about the last year or so when it never unlocks. I tried adjusting the latch position & have regularly cleaned the contacts but nothing has worked.
It drives me nuts!
Anyone got a cure for this (besides drink...) ?
Flowboy
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Side sliding door lock problem

Postby motorman116 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:54 pm

You will need a new lock unit..
2008 3.2 5 pot diesel Ford Transit GLX Lwb, Hr
motorman116
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Flowboy » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:15 pm

motorman116 wrote:You will need a new lock unit..

Thanks for replying.
Replace it even if the lock works OK when I press the door in? It seems like the mechanism would be fine if I could get the door or latch to sit in the right position.
It locks fine just with the fob.
Did you have the same problem & a new lock solved it?
Last edited by Flowboy on Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flowboy
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby motorman116 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:19 pm

Yes I had the same problem with my old Mk7 Transit van, and replacing the lock unit cured problem.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
2008 3.2 5 pot diesel Ford Transit GLX Lwb, Hr
motorman116
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby richgold » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:33 am

Its more likely to be the contacts inside the door shut at the bottom rear of the door, its where the power to open and close the door mechanism comes from.
When you press against the door you will be making a contact that isnt made without that pressure against the door.

Clean the contacts and test the contacts on the body (not the door) with a meter while the side door is open and while trying the fob. The to be sure remove the side door inner card and check for voltage again on the wires on the back of the contacts inside of the door (while closed) and see what you get. That should find your problem.
Vauxhall Nova GTE 1300 1988 in Royal Blue - My garage ornament.
Volkswagen Crafter 136 LWB 2016 back in white and staying that way! SOLD!!!
Transit 115 Jumbo 2010 - SOLD!
Audi TT 225 Roadster - SOLD!
Mercedes Sprinter 311 LWB 2004 - SOLD!
richgold
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby oldtimer47 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:52 am

hi, I have just been through a very similar problem, I could hear a clunk when I pressed the button, but it wouldnt open, if I leant against the door it would, at first I thought it was the contacts, so I adjusted the back lock grab bit, didnt work, if anything it made it worse, a Panel Beater mate said it was the adjustment, the door was too tight for the lock to do the unlock bit, gave it a good spray and eased the adjustment right off, it works well about 90% of the time, if the van is leaning slightly towards the passenger side I have to Push on the door.
so it sounds like the lock is crook on mine as well, weak unlock bit, in the meantime this has more or less fixed the problem for me
Oldtimer
Transit Van. 2005. 135 / T430 RWD. 2.4 engine. 6 speed Manual. used as a Motor Home in Australia.
oldtimer47
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Flowboy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:23 pm

Thanks fellas,
I have been thru' the cleaning contacts stuff - in fact the previous owner mentioned it when I got the van about 6 years ago but as I re-set the door pretty soon after, I had no real problems with it until the last year or so.
I haven't actually had a meter on there so I should do that before anything else. Won't hurt to get price of a new lock while I'm at it...
Also have adjusted & sprayed etc etc but it has got worse rather than better.
Flowboy
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits