*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit MK6 02plate fuel pump issues

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: Transit MK6 02plate fuel pump issues

Postby D4D » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:40 pm

Right guys, Got the EDC back from being repaired and ended up costing £100 rather than £40 because aparantly the ECB board had gone, not the transistor which cost an additional £60, I cant say whether thats right or not but just had to bite the bullet really.

So I've spent all day today putting the EDC back on and connecting everything back up again and its all back where it should be. I put the battery back on which was frshly fully charged.

Now I try to fire the van up the starter motor seems to be sticking or jammed, It whirrs but really slowly and not fast an repetetive (normally 3rd or 4th) like it should, it seems to struggle to do one or two turns then gives up and clicks or makes a horrible grinding sound it was turning over fine before I removed the edc and the only thing that has changed is since the last time I tried to turn it over, I manually rolled the van backwards so it wasn't right outside the next door neighbours house about 4 meters before I started hunting down the EDC. Would that have made any difference?
D4D
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby karl » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:11 pm

Check battery earths
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby D4D » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:40 pm

The earths coming from the battery terminals? You have the main clip terminals connecting to the battery then should there be earths coming from them? if so my doesn't have any, there are some "eyed" crimp teminals bolted the the main clip terminals but no wires attached to them.

On a more positive note my pcm has thrown back zero dtc codes on Forscan so its looking good on the fuel pump side of things.
D4D
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby D4D » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:46 pm

I forgot to add we've tried starting it with jump leads on another running engine
D4D
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Crankshaft » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:04 pm

Have you rechecked all the wiring to the starter including the earth lead ?
I had my edc repaired a few weeks ago and it failed again after 5 miles. Sent it back under warranty, fitted it a second time and it took the 20 amp fuse for the pump. Ditched it and fitted a recon pump.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk
Crankshaft
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby D4D » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:16 pm

Not yet mate, I've had enough for one day today :) I'll be on it first thing tomorrow morning, I've been off the road for 3 weeks now and I rely on it for work. Had it 3 years and done about 35,000 mile in it, never had any issues like this, few issues with the gears over time and got ripped by garages before it happened again and i realised its just the retaining clip beneath the gear stick was dropping off (No baseplate underside of gear stick housing) hence why I want to try and sort it myelf and as cheaply as possible.
D4D
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Crankshaft » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:00 pm

I've been in the same boat with mine recently, wouldn't start after fitting a new pump, fuse had blown, even though the battery was disconnected while the pump was replaced.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk
Crankshaft
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby D4D » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:56 pm

Right, I've had the starter motor off this morning (Another learning curve) and tested it direct from the battery on the various terminals and on its own it seems to be functioning fine, It did seem to be sticking at first so gave it a few knocks. Thought, whahey might have solved the problem, so just put it back on again and now all it does is click, doen't even slowly whirr any more.
Could something in the engine be stopping the starter engaging? anything to to with me rolling it back? rolled it back forward this morning before I started messing around with it and tried but was still the same. and now this lol it never ends, newer van on finance I think.
D4D
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby ned » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:32 pm

I have found starters can work on the bench but not on the van, I have had 2 like that 80 sovs from auto factors for a new one and all was good again. N
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby stephenwhite990 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:35 pm

You have probably burnt the starter out by continually turning it over , I did it to mine when my fuel injection pump died , New starter sorted it out , my old starter appeared to be fine when i took it off the van and powered it up but when on the van it just turned really slowly
stephenwhite990
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby D4D » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:47 pm

Yeah both very possible original issues with starter guys but I've got an embarrasing update, Just removed the starter a second time and on loosening the nuts on the elctrical terminals on starter solenoid and realised straight away that one thread had cross threaded (main + terminal) and the - terminal had completely snapped.... oops silly me.

Clearly down to my brute hands when putting the starter back on earlier. So I've just ordered a brand new starter motor. Hoping to hear it roar into life on tuesday. will keep you all posted.
D4D
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby ned » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:06 pm

Hope you didn't get a cheap ebay one or you'll be changing it again in two months (speaking from experience). N
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby moto » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:30 pm

Whilst you are waiting for parts. it won't do any harm to check the wiring on the rear lights right down to where it goes under - don't ask, it'll get confusing! lol! - but have found this chaffing issue causing pump symptoms before. Also chafe behind glovebox under fuseboards. It'll give you something to do while you wait and you might find some chaffing that will save future issues. You can fit that plastic protectiving sheath if you wish.
moto
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby D4D » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:21 pm

Put the new starter on, just the same as it was before slowy trying, not free spinning. Checked wiring, all fine. about to blow. It was turning over fine before I rolled it backwards. WTF
D4D
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby D4D » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:28 pm

i think it may be a low battery, taken it off and put it on charge its been charging a good 4 hours now and still charging so I'll let you all know later on. I think Its just one of those situations where there are several very minor things making a big issue.
D4D
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits