*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Brief Cut out and oil light

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Brief Cut out and oil light

Postby Hopeful » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:30 pm

Happy Easter :D ,
I've a 2008 2.4 6 speed and when I'm driving it cuts out briefly then it comes back on, the oil light flashes and then it carries on again, all in a few seconds.
The oil's been changed, a new oil pressure switch has been fitted and it's still doing it. Anyone any suggestions as to what it might be?
TIA
Hopeful
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Brief Cut out and oil light

Postby ake » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:52 am

Get both batteries tested, and then I'd be trying a new ignition switch
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Hopeful » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:45 pm

Thanks Ake, will give it a try :)
Hopeful
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Hopeful » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:10 pm

Thanks again Ake,
Had the ignition switch changed and used the van a fair bit now and that it's not cut out once. I didn't want to post as I thought it might be tempting fate. Fingers crossed it keeps going.

(The central locking gave up a week after the switch was changed though but thought that was a small price to pay)

Cheers
Hopeful
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby iansinky » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:26 pm

Hi Hopeful

Did the ignition switch fix your problem once and for all. I seem to have the same issue, driving nicely up the motorway and it cuts out for a second, the Oil light comes on for another second then all ok again. Did it every couple of miles until I stopped, switched off (checked the oil) and on again and then was ok for the next 100 miles until we got home.
Other than changing the oil pressure switch etc, I was thinking maybe an intermittent problem with the Key chip or ECU.
iansinky

Postby Hopeful » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:03 am

Hi iansinky,

Sorry I've visited without logging on so didn't see your question. Since changing the switch it's not happened again. I hope you've managed to get it sorted out.
Hopeful
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby ake » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:33 am

iansinky wrote:Hi Hopeful

Did the ignition switch fix your problem once and for all. I seem to have the same issue, driving nicely up the motorway and it cuts out for a second, the Oil light comes on for another second then all ok again. Did it every couple of miles until I stopped, switched off (checked the oil) and on again and then was ok for the next 100 miles until we got home.
Other than changing the oil pressure switch etc, I was thinking maybe an intermittent problem with the Key chip or ECU.

Key chip won’t causing running problems, only starting problems. Ecu would get progressively worse.

I reckon you also need a new ignition switch. About £16 and 15 minutes to fit it
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits