*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Difficult to select 1st

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Difficult to select 1st

Postby MrFlibble » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:59 pm

Hi all,

Back after my adventures with clutch fitting :)

So, my van's been getting progressively worse at selecting 1st when setting off from a stop. Clutch down, and the gearstick just won't push in. No grinding of gears. I think I can even lift my foot off the clutch pedal whilst trying to push the gearstick in and it doesn't grind. However, if I put it in 2nd then go for 1st (without moving the clutch), it goes in OK.

Otherwise, gears can be selected OK, and I can select 1st OK whilst the van is moving.

Doesn't happen all the time, but I'd say >50% of the time it doesn't go in to 1st.

Is it the gearbox on its way out (synchros?), or (hopefully) something cheaper?

5-speed MT75 box, other van specs as below.
2012 Mk7 100 T350 LWB RWD medium roof
MrFlibble
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Difficult to select 1st

Postby gotgcoalman » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:11 pm

Check the oil in the gear box.
Top up if it's low/change if it looks like it's been in there since it rolled off the
production line.
ne m'écoute pas je suis plein de merde.
A house without a dog is like a forum without a BJT.
Too bloody quiet :shock:
gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ray1965 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:56 pm

ive learnt to live with it now, its a tad better, but it is old lol, selecting second first then fist becomes second nature in the end

fitted all new
clutch and dual mass fly wheel
maser cyl
slave cyl
spigot bearing
stick swivel/pivot repair kit
stick lower bush
new pinch bolt for stick ball socket

the only non genuine part being the swivel repair kit as ford wanna sell you a whole new gear stick assy
ray1965
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby MrFlibble » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:51 pm

Yeah, that's what I was fearing :(

I was hoping that someone was going to come up with something easy like the "gear selector mechanism" thing like you have on FWD boxes, but I guess it's just old, and on its way out :(

I'll change the oil and see what happens.
MrFlibble
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby pp5858 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:07 pm

I have had little bit similar. I also have the gears (2:nd) especially dropping out (r also).

I have changed some parts also (not clutch nor cylinders) but what I've came upto on conclusion that it is the selector fork inside the gearbox that is most probable cause on this.

I've so far lived with the problem and the plan for me is to buy working 2:nd hand gearbox, fit it in once I will do flywheel or clutch repair and after that open the old gearbox if I can find cheap enough inside parts for it and try to repair it.

For me when the 1:st gear wont go on, it just feels like it would stick metal against metal or so. And I have overhauled selector, its bearing, cables, stick mechanism + adjusting many times the cables. For me the issue is just little bit less when the gearbox is hot.

But still I would bet my money that it is inside the gearbox and there should be some selector fork that is worn out.
pp5858
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby larsberg » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:12 pm

I have the same issue, selecting second (or third) then back to first works, so does letting off the clutch and then straight back on and it goes in. I thought a new clutch was somewhere on the horizon - but maybe not.
2002 MK6 2.4 TDDi 125PS
larsberg

Postby ray1965 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:30 pm

pp5858 wrote:I have had little bit similar. I also have the gears (2:nd) especially dropping out (r also).

I have changed some parts also (not clutch nor cylinders) but what I've came upto on conclusion that it is the selector fork inside the gearbox that is most probable cause on this.

I've so far lived with the problem and the plan for me is to buy working 2:nd hand gearbox, fit it in once I will do flywheel or clutch repair and after that open the old gearbox if I can find cheap enough inside parts for it and try to repair it.

For me when the 1:st gear wont go on, it just feels like it would stick metal against metal or so. And I have overhauled selector, its bearing, cables, stick mechanism + adjusting many times the cables. For me the issue is just little bit less when the gearbox is hot.

But still I would bet my money that it is inside the gearbox and there should be some selector fork that is worn out.

sounds like your is FWD and not RWD
ray1965
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby MrFlibble » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:06 am

larsberg wrote:I have the same issue, selecting second (or third) then back to first works, so does letting off the clutch and then straight back on and it goes in. I thought a new clutch was somewhere on the horizon - but maybe not.

Yeah, coming up on the clutch doesn't really help in my case (except that it turns the gearbox input shaft a bit so it might put the gears in a meshing position, so maybe it works 1 in 10 times). In fact, if I've managed to get it in to 1st gear then take it out again, it will go straight back in, but if I come up on the clutch in neutral after coming out of 1st, it probably won't go back in to 1st.
MrFlibble
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby pp5858 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:27 pm

ray1965 wrote:
pp5858 wrote:I have had little bit similar. I also have the gears (2:nd) especially dropping out (r also).

sounds like your is FWD and not RWD

Oh, crap, sorry for mixing up. Yes mine is FWD 2.2TDI.
pp5858
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits