*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk7 2.2 lack of power

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk7 2.2 lack of power

Postby Baps1965 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:09 pm

Hi I'm a new member as of today and I need your help I've got a 2008 2.2, front wheel drive with intermittent power loss .starts fine .ticks over fine drives ok for about 3 miles then starts to mess around won't go over 3k revs then no throttle response at all but still ticks over fine then she'll sort of gather up speed but still won't go over 3k revs .parts that have been changed are new egr .new turbo new air flow sensor air intake cleaned out .new intercooler new diesel filter ford parts fitted plus clutch pedal switch and throttle pedal .only reason turbo was changed I was given a nearly new one for free . But all these parts have had little affect on the vans problem .some people are saying can't be p r v as it would have the problem all the time ?? Can anyone help as I don't want a massive Ford bill .thanks in advance Wayne
Baps1965

Re: Mk7 2.2 lack of power

Postby rustytransit » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:35 pm

Replace your vans scv . Only use genuine denso replacement. Scv is probably sticky. Have you had codes read? Only other thing is throttle pedal faulty. But best get codes read.
rustytransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Baps1965 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:07 pm

Thanks for the reply can I just change the s c v or do I have to get it coded once fitted .
Baps1965

Postby knobby1 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:25 pm

Baps1965 wrote:Thanks for the reply can I just change the s c v or do I have to get it coded once fitted .

Doesn't need "coding" as such...but will need learns done afterwards. Also best to replace the PRV as well....often if the SCV is duff it will take the PRV with it.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Baps1965 » Mon May 01, 2017 3:33 am

Thanks very much .had a feeling that would be the case after reading all different posts about s c v and p r v .will let you all know if it cures the problem .
Baps1965

Postby rustytransit » Mon May 01, 2017 10:44 pm

If any hunting is severe then yes change out both . Mine was only mild and sometimes would lack power , but I just changed out the scv and fitted new fuel filter. Have had no problems since .
rustytransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Baps1965 » Tue May 02, 2017 3:14 am

No hunting at all ticks over fine just the loss of power .sometimes feels like if it had a throttle cable it had been cut but then it's ok again for a while and it's already had the pedal changed . I hope I can get codes looked at today as my o b d reader is coming up with nothing .van was fine until I blocked e g r a while back as it was faulty I had it blocked for about 6 months with no probs then decided to put her back as she was and my troubles started .maybe it wasn't the e g r in the in the first place but it did drive better once blanked .ive even tried blanking the new one but no change .
Baps1965

Postby digitaldecor » Tue May 02, 2017 6:08 pm

Just had the same problem, blanked egr and it ran great light came on few weeks later then started with the same symptoms you have described after a couple of months. Unbanked egr and was still the same.Had my codes read and deleted a few days ago and got some power back straight away then over the next few days it's got better and better now nearly normal. I am presuming the ecu is learning again and couldn't with the fault codes logged, that's my only idea.
digitaldecor
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Baps1965 » Tue May 02, 2017 9:26 pm

All fixed had s c v changed today and pump learn update done and can't get over the difference engine is so quiet now and all the power back .apperantly the pressure in the rail was nearly 300 more than what's it's suppose to be hence over fuelled etc etc etc .i had a mobile guy come out with all the diagnostic kit 8k worth he only charged £60 and the price of the valve which I already had .he did say fords will tell you that you need the s c v and p r v and fuel filter mount and the pump e c u learn done and e c u upgrade I'd hate to think what that costs £££££. So after all this and for all you guys get yourself a s c v and a good mobile diesel tec and save your self a bundle of money because a lot of the time these issues are not e g r or injector related as I've read so many posts with the same problems .but thankyou all again for your help much appreciated.
Baps1965

Postby knobby1 » Tue May 02, 2017 10:57 pm

Baps1965 wrote:.apperantly the pressure in the rail was nearly 300 more than what's it's suppose to be hence over fuelled

This is what usually blows the PRV and is often caused by a faulty/duff SCV...(300bar is over 4400psi).....and that's on top of what it should normally be...we're talking huge amounts of pressure here....no wonder the PRV's throw their hands in the air and start crying..!

Result though..... :mrgreen:

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby rustytransit » Tue May 02, 2017 11:02 pm

Smashin, job done, I think the scv is one of those things that gets overlooked alot , I mean after all it is the engines throttle so to speak.
rustytransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Tue May 02, 2017 11:16 pm

rustytransit wrote:Smashin, job done, I think the scv is one of those things that gets overlooked a lot, I mean after all it is the engines throttle so to speak.

Aye....never a truer word spoken....or should that be "written"..?? :roll: :wink:

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby digitaldecor » Wed May 03, 2017 9:40 am

How long is an scv expected to last, I had one fitted 2 years ago and done about 10,000 miles since and my van has been giving trouble lately. Anyone had to fit one twice?
digitaldecor
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Baps1965 » Wed May 03, 2017 11:00 am

People do say make sure you fit genuine parts as a lot of the cheap stuff don't last .a while back now a seller on crapbay was just spraying old ones and selling as new .my van I've had 6 years now and only just replaced it after 40.000 miles .so check to see what you have fitted .
Baps1965

Postby knobby1 » Wed May 03, 2017 8:20 pm

digitaldecor wrote:How long is an scv expected to last, I had one fitted 2 years ago and done about 10,000 miles since and my van has been giving trouble lately. Anyone had to fit one twice?

There's probably some that are getting on for 11 years old now with 200k+ miles on. They do wear and I believe they require the occasional adjustment, as do the PRV's, pumps, injectors etc.....doing a full set of learns every 12-24 months is probably a good idea to help keep things running as they should, also keeping filters up to them is a must and cheap insurance.

It's probably a bit overkill but I do a set of learns on mine every 6 months or so.... but having my own IDS makes it easy....and cheap..!

If I hear something a tad different or she's feeling/driving a bit strange in the fueling department, I pop it on IDS to see if there's anything amiss and I can keep on top of things before they become a major ball-ache. :mrgreen:

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits