*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk6 problem, two garages different opinions

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk6 problem, two garages different opinions

Postby design4production » Tue May 23, 2017 10:16 pm

The van is a MK6 2.0 FWD SWB LOW ROOF.

A few months ago I fitted 16 inch wheels with the biggest tyres you could fit ( stupid I know ), Last year I fitted solid flywheel after dual mass blew the clutch plate to bits, new clutch flywheel and csc was fitted.

In the last week when setting off in first gear when the vehicle is under load ( up hill, it never carries weight ) I am finding heavy shuddering / spinning / slipping ( not sure which ) coming from the O/S front, unless I feather the clutch and accelerator.

One garage has told me that the clutch is going and another garage has told me that the clutch is fine, ( neither took it for a drive to see what it was like setting off in first up hill ), checked bearing and drive shaft for play but both fine.

I am confused as to what this problem could be, dont want to pay for a new clutch and find out it is something else.

Any help would be greatly appreciated or anyone local to Leeds that I could come and show the problem.

Thanks.
design4production
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Mk6 problem, two garages different opinions

Postby reevco62 » Tue May 23, 2017 11:46 pm

Simple way to test it...

Put her in 2nd or maybe 3rd put handbrake hard on and give it some revs letting clutch slowly out passed the bitting point.

If she stalls then clutch should be okay.
If engine runs and the van doesn't pull then clutch knackered.

Just be careful the last thing you want is the timing to jump a tooth as it could if the engine gets a sudden shock like with bump starting but that normally happens because there's no oil pressure built up to tension the timing chain.
It takes thousands of nuts to hold a Transit together but only one nut behind the wheel to distribute them all over the road...
reevco62
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby design4production » Wed May 24, 2017 12:15 am

I will give that a try tomoz pal and get back to you
design4production
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby design4production » Wed May 24, 2017 8:57 pm

Well today it appears I found the potential problem.

When driving I heard a noise then battery light came on, pulled over and saw the alternator belt had snapped, managed to get it home, luckily this happened a few streets away.

So I opened the bonnet to asses the alternator belt issue and noticed the bolts had snapped for the engine mount to the gearbox bracket.

Tomorrow's plan is to get a new gear box bracket that bolts to the engine mount swap them then swap the alternator belt and see how it runs from there.

Might I add neither of the garages had a look under the bonnet, one tried to sell me a clutch and the other tried to charge me £65 to change a drive shaft seal as it leaking a little.

Opinions anyone?

Will update after swapping parts tomorrow.
design4production
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby EeEk » Thu May 25, 2017 9:50 pm

which mount...the one on the gearbox....so who ever fitted the clutch didn't tighten the bolts up correctly :)
EeEk
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits