*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Near new single mass clutch shudders a bit on takeoff

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Near new single mass clutch shudders a bit on takeoff

Postby 4door4 » Fri May 26, 2017 3:54 am

Took it easy during the initial run in period. It drove smooth and problem free for the first few thousand miles after that. Now it's juddering when riding the clutch to take off. Same problem if I try starting in 2nd. Seems to be the clutch that's shuddering rather than the drivetrain, like it varies with engine revs not van speed.

No problem once moving. Shifts perfectly on the road, no strange vibrations at any speed, no slipping under load. Old dual mass flywheel was very worn out and rear main seal had been leaking. Spent hours cleaning to prevent oil or metal dust contamination on new clutch. A new rear main seal was installed with a centring tool, and there is currently no sign of leaks from the bottom hole in the bell housing. External slave cylinder was replaced. Thrust bearing was worn and therefore replaced. Pilot bearing was in good condition but replaced it anyway. Rubber donut was marked for positions and reinstalled the way it came out.

Looking for ideas before I take the box out again to inspect everything.

2004 RWD 5 speed Tddi 115ps.
4door4
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Near new single mass clutch shudders a bit on takeoff

Postby wronghole » Fri May 26, 2017 5:38 am

You didn't mention the make of your clutch kit. Some of the cheaper conversion kits can cause the symptoms you have.
Think mine was LUK ,fitted over a year ago with no probs.
wronghole
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits