*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

ABS. I have searched but cant find an answer.

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

ABS. I have searched but cant find an answer.

Postby marmitemania » Sat May 27, 2017 8:59 pm

DSCF3031.JPG
You may have seen my first post New Van. I'm very pleased with it and now I have replaced the damaged panels and fitted some proper ford mudflaps all round shes looking very tidy. Now despite telling you I'm an ex mechanic and that I spent 10 years working on Transits mostly smileys and MK6's but Mk7's in the last few years, I do have an ABS issue with the van, the light is on all the time along with the red brake warning light,I have put my generic obd scanner on the van and apart from the missfire which I was expecting, no other codes showed, the lights very occasionally go out for a few seconds but soon come back on. Can anyone give me any pointers as the MK6's I used to look after (around 20 of them) none had abs. I do wonder if the cab has been jet washed but no other electrics play up apart from the fuel gauge being a little slow on the up take sometimes. It has not been jet washed under the bonnet so I'm hoping the abs module is ok. Thanks in advance for any help or pointers. Just to confirm it's a 2005 MK6 2.3 petrol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marmitemania
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: ABS. I have searched but cant find an answer.

Postby loot » Sat May 27, 2017 9:42 pm

You need a code reader that can access mk6 abs systems i think :-)
If the light is on telling you there's a fault when in neutral and not moving them it's a hard code, wiring, Sensor or module.

You need forscan or ids to diagnose it i think.
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby ned » Sat May 27, 2017 10:20 pm

I have an ABS light on my van, I know the fault lies with the rear n/s wheel, I know because I took the drum off and accidentally bent the abs ring on the bearing.

Have a good look at all the ABS rings on each wheel.

Also I have found if your pads are getting low the sensor puts the ABS and brake warning light on, this on my van was accompanied by a buzzing type sound upon braking.

So its simple and free to check all ABS rings and brake discs, pads and shoes.

Also check your brake fluid level, don't just look at the level on the reservoir as its a bleeding liar, take the cap off and check it that way.
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby marmitemania » Sat May 27, 2017 10:36 pm

Thanks for the tips chaps. I know the front pads are low but I cant spot any pad sensors going to the front. Does it have them or does it work some other way?
marmitemania
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ned » Sat May 27, 2017 10:41 pm

I think and I could be wrong the sensor is on the inner pad (not changed them for a couple of years), I'll have a look at mine tomorrow, it could even be some kind of witchcraft :wink: N

ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby marmitemania » Sat May 27, 2017 10:45 pm

When I used to work on Transits all day every day I did know that the pad sensor is on the inside pad. It's when I had a quick look I could not see any pad sensor wires. I will have a better look tomorrow, failing that I'm stumped.
marmitemania
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ake » Sun May 28, 2017 8:27 am

A generic code reader will only read engine codes, you'll need a better one such as ids to see abs codes.
Sensor, rings and wiring are the common culprits for abs faults
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby marmitemania » Sun May 28, 2017 10:49 am

Thanks AKE I have checked the van out today and the discs and pads are about had it on the front but it does not have pad sensors just the little squealer tab so I can eliminate the pads as the reason. The fluid level is topped up to the mark and I disconnected the battery for 1/2 an hour or so to see if that re set it. I also cleaned up the front abs rings whilst the wheels were off, I just need to look at the backs. Will a top line Snap On scanner read the ABS. I should have known my little generic OBD reader would not give me the answer. Thanks again. :D
marmitemania
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ake » Sun May 28, 2017 3:42 pm

marmitemania wrote:Thanks AKE I have checked the van out today and the discs and pads are about had it on the front but it does not have pad sensors just the little squealer tab so I can eliminate the pads as the reason. The fluid level is topped up to the mark and I disconnected the battery for 1/2 an hour or so to see if that re set it. I also cleaned up the front abs rings whilst the wheels were off, I just need to look at the backs. Will a top line Snap On scanner read the ABS. I should have known my little generic OBD reader would not give me the answer. Thanks again. :D

Some snap on stuff will work
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby marmitemania » Mon May 29, 2017 4:22 pm

New twist to this saga now. I noticed that if i wiggle the ignition switch the abs and red brake warning light flicker and occasionally go out. Whats happening here? I am now wondering if it needs a new ignition switch. If anyone can help I would be much appreciative. Thanks in advance chaps.
marmitemania
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby marmitemania » Mon May 29, 2017 4:43 pm

Just been out to the van and had the shroud off the steering column if I wiggle the plug at the back that goes into a grey box which I assume is the actual ignition switch itself the lights abs and red warning lights flicker and the radio goes off. Wiggling the wiring further down makes no difference so it seems like it's an issue with either the plug or the switch. Has anyone come across this before. I also didn't mention that the van does not start sometimes, you have to turn the key on and off half a dozen times and then it will go.
marmitemania
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ned » Mon May 29, 2017 4:53 pm

Ignition switch is a common failing point and are about 15 sovs to buy :P N

ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby marmitemania » Mon May 29, 2017 5:58 pm

Right chaps. I have just been out to the van and took the ignition switch off the back of the barrel. Took it apart springs contacts and little bits everywhere :( . Anyway sh!t or bust so I cleaned up all the bits that were covered in dry black contact grease and somehow with a bit of luck got it all back together I refitted to the van and (drum roll please) it started and the lights went out. Result. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
marmitemania
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby smokeytransit » Mon May 29, 2017 7:22 pm

Good result 8) and thanks for letting the forum know the outcome as it may be useful to someone in the same situation :D
Clean van by the way.
Ford, all the power beyond the world.

Mk6 transit 85 t260
smokeytransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby marmitemania » Mon May 29, 2017 7:48 pm

Thanks Smokey transit. Yes it is clean I feel I almost stole for £850. It only has 97000 on the clock and no advisorys on the M.O.T about corrosion which is backed up when you look underneath its like new. It has had an easy life though I think 2 owners the first being the Sewing machine centre in London (you can still see where the graphics were on the side) and the second owner was a hotel in Royal Lymington Spa. The sills and wheel arches are as clean as the day it left the factory, it just has a bump on the side loading door (I have got a very clean one from the local scrapyard for £20) and I just need to sort a dent out near the passenger rear light. I'm very pleased with it although I dont think the LPG works as it hesitates when switched on to that, I'm not bothered though as I will just run it on Petrol.
marmitemania
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits