*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Gear shifting issues - 1st, 2nd and R - 6spd

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Gear shifting issues - 1st, 2nd and R - 6spd

Postby Jamesrtoneil » Sun May 28, 2017 2:03 pm

Hey,

Thanks in advance for any advice.
I've been having issues with my gear shifting explained below.
(i have a 6 speed mk7 t350 rwd)
- 1st, 2nd and reverse can be quite notchy to get into gear.
- the gear will often stop just before engaging into the gear fully - heading halfway through the movement towards the gear then not heading further.
- if it does the above problem going into 1st, 2nd or reverse, i put it into 3rd or 4th (which are always smooth - 5th and 6th too) and then try the 1st or 2nd and it generally goes in after that movement.

It's been an issue for the last year (since i bought the van) but has not gotten any worse. I would have done something sooner but didn't have the spare cash to spend on getting it checked out.

After reading up a bit i feel it could either be the synchromesh for these gears, though i have also been suggested that it could be the gear cabling as all the gears with issue are on the left hand side of the gear shift movement.

Thanks again in advance for any advice.
Cheers,
James
2007 Mk7 MWB T350 High Roof RWD 115ps 2.4 TDCi 6sp - camper convertion
Jamesrtoneil
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Gear shifting issues - 1st, 2nd and R - 6spd

Postby ake » Sun May 28, 2017 3:41 pm

Could also be a clutch problem
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby knobby1 » Sun May 28, 2017 11:53 pm

ake wrote:Could also be a clutch problem

+1...but getting cables checked should be high on your "to do" list.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Jamesrtoneil » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:47 am

Cheers guys.

The van recently had a new clutch (within 2 years) so hopefully that's still good.

I'll check out the cables as well as do a bit more trouble shooting as to how the gear changes react to different scenarios (van off, cold run, etc...)
If the cables are out, would this mean that every time i select the gear it would be tricky or just on some occasions?

Looking back at the van service history too, it looks like it had a gearbox refurb 2 years ago. I remember having to fix the reverse light sensor going into the gearbox when first getting the van (remove, clean and replace - worked fine then) making me think that the refurb maybe wasn't the best done job.
Jamesrtoneil
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:49 pm

Jamesrtoneil wrote:Cheers guys.

The van recently had a new clutch (within 2 years) so hopefully that's still good.

I'll check out the cables as well as do a bit more trouble shooting as to how the gear changes react to different scenarios (van off, cold run, etc...)
If the cables are out, would this mean that every time i select the gear it would be tricky or just on some occasions?

Looking back at the van service history too, it looks like it had a gearbox refurb 2 years ago. I remember having to fix the reverse light sensor going into the gearbox when first getting the van (remove, clean and replace - worked fine then) making me think that the refurb maybe wasn't the best done job.

Checking the cable operation will at least rule them out as an issue...then if it still plays up...you can start looking elsewhere. The MT82 gearbox is reasonably robust...but that doesn't rule out a poor re-assembly during the refurb 2 years ago.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Jamesrtoneil » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:02 pm

Hey, Thank you for the advice.

I had a garage take a look at it and after adjusting the gear linkage cables it seems to be a bit better.
Still not as smooth as i'd like it to be but It's definitely an improvement.

Thanks again!
Jamesrtoneil
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby loot » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:16 pm

I replaced my gearbox for the same reason, after changing oil and adjusting it then living with it for a while i decided to go wild and but a low mileage box :-).

If you Google mt82 you should find some videos on synchro on these, they are a common design so most videos will show, the brass mesh wear out and what you feel is lack of sync and the teeth being forced to mesh is the notchy part because the 3 sync rings aren't lined up. (They are wet friction type so need good oil and not to be worn out)(From memory anyway but watch the videos.)

:wink:

New gearbox was sweet if not a complete bollok to fit on my own :-(
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Jamesrtoneil » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:48 pm

loot wrote:I replaced my gearbox for the same reason, after changing oil and adjusting it then living with it for a while i decided to go wild and but a low mileage box :-).

If you Google mt82 you should find some videos on synchro on these, they are a common design so most videos will show, the brass mesh wear out and what you feel is lack of sync and the teeth being forced to mesh is the notchy part because the 3 sync rings aren't lined up. (They are wet friction type so need good oil and not to be worn out)(From memory anyway but watch the videos.)

:wink:

New gearbox was sweet if not a complete bollok to fit on my own :-(

Cheers Loot, Yeah i've looked at a few diagrams and deconstructions regarding the synchros, and feel it must be the issue. However it's not all that bad now the gear linkage was tightened so mihgt ride it out for a little while. Then next year, having saved up a little, treat it to a newer low mileage gearbox like you have.
Jamesrtoneil
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits