*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Starting issues after engine rebuild

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Starting issues after engine rebuild

Postby raymondo555 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:21 pm

2007 FORD TRANSIT MK7 FWD 2.2
Did an engine rebuild having found a small end knocked out, replaced that piston with a second hand one, Renewed Big end shells and crank shaft shells, new set of rings, new stretch bolts all new gaskets and new rocker arm carrier ladder. Test drive around the block several times (Approx 4 miles total) she cut out just as I was turning into my garage. Would not start again left her for several hours then started first time. Next day drove to local garage, 6 mile round trip turned her off at the While filling with fuel then would not start, (towed home) after a while she started let her run for 30 minutes, turned her off, would not start again, she will start staight away with easy start/brake cleaner in air intake or if I leave her for a few hours and she will start first time from cold.

ERG is blanked.

These are the things I have tried .......

Cleaned and checked operation of all injectors (out of vehicle)
Ran engine with fuel supply and return pipes in neat fuel injector cleaner
New fuel filter and housing
Checked high pressure fuel pump
Checked fuel leak off pipes and return pipes working fine
Blead the air from fuel system
New Regulator Metering Valve
New Starter motor

I’ve read a few forums with similar issues and followed the tips, the last being a new starter motor, I have spent too much to give up …… any help would be very much welcome.
raymondo555

Re: Starting issues after engine rebuild

Postby raymondo555 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:49 pm

AND ......... a Mechanic mates diagnostic is showing NO error Codes
raymondo555

Postby knobby1 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:15 pm

A question or two if I may:

You mentioned a "New regulator metering valve"...I assume this means you've replaced the SCV..? Have you had the learns done.? If not, you'll need to go on IDS and do all the normal "Learns" otherwise it'll never run right. Your mate with the diagnostics....do you know which diag machine he's using?? Some generic readers don't see pending or historic codes if they're present.

Did the fuel injectors go back in the same cylinder?? If not you need to "Code them in"...IDS needed for this too.

Blanking the EGR won't help much unless it's been "Mapped out" properly. You'll probably be getting "overboost/underboost" fault codes.... if not now, it probably will soon. Even if blanked off, it still needs to work properly for the PCM to be happy.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby raymondo555 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:29 am

Nobby ...
Thanks for advice on SCV I will look into that, I'm not all together familiar with the Diagnostic machines of today, when I tinkered with engines some years ago it was a screwdriver to the ear touching the block or head, my mate's diagnostic machine looks quite sophisticated in a big case with attachments :oops:

The fuel injectors went back in the same holes and numbers recorded

Since the post a diagnostic has brought up No2 injector faulty, perhaps I damaged it when testing as it never came up before, although I still have the same original problem. I have ordered a new one which is arriving Monday 19th.

The EGR was blanked off about a year before the rebuild so Im guessing that was ok then.
raymondo555

Postby ake » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:39 am

Check that the prv isn't blown
Check that the crank sensor is correctly fitted
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby bambi mk 1 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:08 pm

ake wrote:Check that the prv isn't blown

Id run with the crank sensor too Ake :)
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby raymondo555 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:06 pm

ake wrote:Check that the prv isn't blown

How can I check the prv isnt blown, is there anything obvious to look for ....... I have fitted a new Crank sensor and replaced the faulty injector, should I be able to start the engine without coding the injector at this stage, she won't start at the moment although I think there is air in system.
raymondo555

Postby knobby1 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:48 pm

raymondo555 wrote:How can I check the prv isnt blown, is there anything obvious to look for .......

If you pop the PRV out and it's in pieces...she's done for....however, sometimes they often look ok and can still be duff if the internal spring has broken, you can't see it from outside.

The TDCi systems are self bleeding, but if the fuel filter is not full of fuel she'll struggle...might pay to pull the filter and see if she's full...if not, fill with fuel and refit. These beasts can sometimes draw air through the injector "leakback" lines....so it might also pay to check the "O" rings on the injector leak-back lines and the lines themselves.

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby raymondo555 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:16 am

knobby1 wrote:
raymondo555 wrote:How can I check the prv isnt blown, is there anything obvious to look for .......

If you pop the PRV out and it's in pieces...she's done for....however, sometimes they often look ok and can still be duff if the internal spring has broken, you can't see it from outside.

The TDCi systems are self bleeding, but if the fuel filter is not full of fuel she'll struggle...might pay to pull the filter and see if she's full...if not, fill with fuel and refit. These beasts can sometimes draw air through the injector "leakback" lines....so it might also pay to check the "O" rings on the injector leak-back lines and the lines themselves.

Lord Knobrot

Thank you Knobby I will do that this morning ....... I have filled the fuel filter to the brim and temporarily substituted the fuel pipe with clear 8mm pipe to see the air being moved out (saw this on Youtube) I know fuel is getting to the injectors as I have cracked off one in turn cranking the engine each time.
raymondo555

Postby knobby1 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:56 am

raymondo555 wrote:Thank you Knobby I will do that this morning ....... I have filled the fuel filter to the brim and temporarily substituted the fuel pipe with clear 8mm pipe to see the air being moved out (saw this on Youtube) I know fuel is getting to the injectors as I have cracked off one in turn cranking the engine each time.

Just putting my safety hat on here... and some safety tips to remember for the unwary...cracking injector lines on a TDCi will tell the PCM the rail pressure is too low and it won't fire the injectors, and she'll not start.... we're talking pressures of near 30,000psi here so be very careful and always wear safety eyewear when fiddling with high pressure things. Also be sure to let it sit for a few mins after stopping to let the pressure subside before opening any fuel lines...A stray shot of fuel at 30,000psi will go straight through clothing, gloves, skin, eyes...almost anything. Please be careful.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby raymondo555 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:38 am

knobby1 wrote:
Just putting my safety hat on here... and some safety tips to remember for the unwary...cracking injector lines on a TDCi will tell the PCM the rail pressure is too low and it won't fire the injectors, and she'll not start.... we're talking pressures of near 30,000psi here so be very careful and always wear safety eyewear when fiddling with high pressure things. Also be sure to let it sit for a few mins after stopping to let the pressure subside before opening any fuel lines...A stray shot of fuel at 30,000psi will go straight through clothing, gloves, skin, eyes...almost anything. Please be careful.

Lord Knobrot

Again Thank you ...... I had been made aware of the pressures and took precautions even so its good to be reminded .......

I have taken the PRV off and can see nothing untoward, not that I know what I'm looking for, holding the valve gently in the vice i undid the nut with inlet tube still nothing ....... I can blow through the valve both ways, is this to be expected?
raymondo555

Postby ake » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:13 am

raymondo555 wrote:
knobby1 wrote:

Lord Knobrot

Again Thank you ...... I had been made aware of the pressures and took precautions even so its good to be reminded .......

I have taken the PRV off and can see nothing untoward, not that I know what I'm looking for, holding the valve gently in the vice i undid the nut with inlet tube still nothing ....... I can blow through the valve both ways, is this to be expected?

If you can blow through it, it's knackered
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby raymondo555 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:40 am

ake wrote:
raymondo555 wrote:

If you can blow through it, it's knackered

Thank you ake

a new one just arrived in the post ......
raymondo555

Postby raymondo555 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:36 pm

New Pressure Relief Valve and Pressure Relief Sensor fitted ....... still have problem :( :( :(

She now will only start up with easy start but she will cut out straight away unless keep spraing in Easy Start.

Could it be now with all the changes she needs codes put in before she will start ????
raymondo555

Postby knobby1 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:47 pm

raymondo555 wrote:New Pressure Relief Valve and Pressure Relief Sensor fitted ....... still have problem :( :( :(

She now will only start up with easy start but she will cut out straight away unless keep spraing in Easy Start.

Could it be now with all the changes she needs codes put in before she will start ????

If you've replaced the PRV or SCV...(or both)...she should run but will need pump and pilot learns done. IDS has a "non start" troubleshooting section, of course you need IDS to do it.

May I suggest you refit the old SCV, but leave the new PRV in....she might start and run.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits