*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Can the thermostat housing be opened on the 2.2?

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Can the thermostat housing be opened on the 2.2?

Postby Damien89 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:22 pm

I have a suspicion that my thermostat on my 2.2 is stuck open as it takes a lot of time to reach operating temp. and when i'm going downhill the temp. immediately starts dropping.
Can i open the thermostat housing to see if the thermostat is stuck open? If i change the thermostat and close the housing will it leak?
Damien89

Re: Can the thermostat housing be opened on the 2.2?

Postby knobby1 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:19 pm

Damien89 wrote:I have a suspicion that my thermostat on my 2.2 is stuck open as it takes a lot of time to reach operating temp. and when i'm going downhill the temp. immediately starts dropping.
Can i open the thermostat housing to see if the thermostat is stuck open? If i change the thermostat and close the housing will it leak?

Yes you can open the thermostat housing...otherwise you'll not be able to replace the thermostat if required...will it leak?? Hopefully not if the seal is still good.

The 2.2 should look a bit like this:

http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... U5MjIrMTMz

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Damien89 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:25 am

knobby1 wrote:
Damien89 wrote:I have a suspicion that my thermostat on my 2.2 is stuck open as it takes a lot of time to reach operating temp. and when i'm going downhill the temp. immediately starts dropping.

Yes you can open the thermostat housing...otherwise you'll not be able to replace the thermostat if required...will it leak?? Hopefully not if the seal is still good.

The 2.2 should look a bit like this:

http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... U5MjIrMTMz

Lord Knobrot

I asked because i saw lots of therm. housings for sale online and i tought maybe its a throw in the bin part and replace the whole thing.
Damien89

Postby knobby1 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:51 pm

Damien89 wrote:I asked because i saw lots of therm. housings for sale online and i tought maybe its a throw in the bin part and replace the whole thing.

They're made of plastic and become brittle with age....some poor buggers break them when trying to remove the thermostat...doesn't take much to crack them when they're old.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits