*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk7 starts but will not run

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: Mk7 starts but will not run

Postby knobby1 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:43 am

Colin K wrote:Hello chaps,
As always thanks for the help. I have got the full timing kit here now and just about to start work. Just got to get the bottom cog off the cramkshaft I see this has another chain on it and it has a tensioner too? Guessing you compress it to get the other chain off. Or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Quick question. The road outside is a bit busy today I wondered if it was critical to put a 13 mm pin in the crankshaft sensor hole or whether I can count the cogs ? One you tube video says you can count two and a half cogs back and thats ok. About 10 o clock then.
Hoping to have it done in daylight bought a new chain cover as well the old one was a bit ratty.
Cheers, Col.
Ps new chain has got marks on the chain but the old one didnt.

The "Other" chain is for the oil pump....timing it is not required.

I wonder if your old chain was on back-to-front...with the gold colored links facing the back..??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Colin K » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:22 am

Good morning,
Thanks for the hint. Nope had a look no marks on either side of the chain give it a good clean to check pretty odd I have had her for many years too always done my own repairs.

Had a full day on her and I slept like a baby ha ha. New timing kit went like a dream I was dreading getting the bottom cog off but hey ho easy. All went back together and lined up even after I released the tensioner. Glad I bought a new cover.
So there she was all rebuilt and I turned the engine by hand at least five rebolutions and it all was sweet good compression too.
Turned the key, nothing, had another look and I had dislodged the plug at the end of the injector rail pushed that back on and tried again, hey presto she starts but only on what id guess two cylinders. Let her tick over for a few minutes as I read a post somewhere that they can take a while to get life back together but nope.
So armed with your good advice I went about taking the injectors out and rocker cover off. Another job I was dreading as all of the times id tried that in the past with old marine engines it was puller and slide hammers out. Nope again they whistled out.
As the light was going (4:30) pm and my Saturday night beer cooling I removed the cam rack and took it to the bench. Ooooops. Two tappets/rockers snapped in two with the rolly thing that touches the cam loose. A total of four of the sockets on the casting smashed. I think today Mrs K will be on ebay. I wonder if the 2.2 engine has the same rack as my 2.4 one.
All the time she was ticking over she sounded fine oddly quite an engine really!! Is it a matter of swapping the rack (and cams ) cleaning her up and trying again? I recon when its all done a good engine flush is in order.

As always thanks for the help. Cheers, Col.

Ps wow the spring tension on the new tensioner is massive compared to the old one. Would that have been the cause if failure? Mrs K just tells me TPUK sell cam rack including cams for £137. Sounds a bargin!!
Colin K
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:32 pm

2.2 FWD & 2.4 RWD use the same rocker ladder part number....if you just have broken rockers or the upper ladder, you should be fine..... however, if the lower part of the rocker ladder is damaged you may be in a spot of bother as they are "matched" to the head as they have the machined close tolerance camshaft journal bores in them.

Note: The later 2.2 Euro-V & RWD engines (26/9/2011 onwards) use a different setup...so just be aware of that.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Colin K » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:41 am

Hello,
Success!! New top ladder rack and timing chain kit. I turned her over by hand a good half dozen turns before turning the key and no grating or grinding.
Turned the key and she fired up straight away sounds very very sweet. Let her tick over fir five minutes I have got sone flushing oil in to wash out the engine.

Came to the conclusion that the inlet cog had jumped three teeth so thats too much.

Thanks all for your help going to do a good service before I venture far.

Cheers, Col.
Colin K
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Transitpartsuk » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:54 am

Also just be aware, you can use the MK8 rocker ladder in the MK7 it is completely backwards compatible. It has bigger rockers, tappits etc but will go in fine.

We now only order the MK8 ladders and send them out. We do not stock the MK7 one anymore.
Transitpartsuk
Registered Trader
Registered Trader

Postby Colin K » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:08 pm

Transitpartsuk wrote:Also just be aware, you can use the MK8 rocker ladder in the MK7 it is completely backwards compatible. It has bigger rockers, tappits etc but will go in fine.

We now only order the MK8 ladders and send them out. We do not stock the MK7 one anymore.

Its a darn good job that I ordered first the timing chain kit and then the rocker ladder kit from you then eh? LOL

Great service however you need to staff up on a Monday morning to cope with the extra email requests over the weekend.

Thanks for your continued help.

Cheers, Colin.
Colin K
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits