*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

mk6 got the shakes

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

mk6 got the shakes

Postby the dutch guy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:36 am

Hello everyone. holland calling.
first, my apologies for my use of "simplfied english" as the term goes. i spent way too long in america.

i come to you as the forums in holland for the transit is basically non-existant and even then i am being generous.

more ontopic:

i bought a 2003 mk6, 125bhp TDCI.
problem is that the van has the shakes between 40 and 65, and not "bad balance" shakes, but "van is going to explode" shakes. at speed it is not so bad but when accelerating it really feels like the van is trying to dissasemble itself.
from my readings i kinda figures it is a driveshaft issue and i hope you guys can fill in some blanks for me.
is this issue really a driveshaft (worn joint) issue or is it that way too expensive bearing on the right side shaft?
wich side or what is the actual cause and solution and what is built so craptaculair that causes such amazing issues?

also: if driveshafts needs replacing: what side and what is it with the teeth? i read about a lot of confusion about the amount of teeth the shafts have. can someone elaborate and tell me what type i have so i don't order the wrong parts?
Mk6 SWB TDCI 125
the dutch guy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: mk6 got the shakes

Postby adam75pl » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:10 am

Driveshaft or DMF?
I'm no expert... :roll:
This post only expresses opinion of the author of today. It can not be used against him tomorrow, or any other day following that date. In addition, the author reserves the right to change his views, without prior notification.
T280 SWB 2.2 115PS
adam75pl
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby the dutch guy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:55 am

I do not suspect the dmf as there is no telltale rattle during idle or turning off the engine.
Mk6 SWB TDCI 125
the dutch guy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby the dutch guy » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:11 pm

secondary question: i have driveshafts without ABS, do driveshafts with ABS rings fit? for some (stupid) reason the version without ABS ring costs almost 500 euro new and the one with ABS costs 170.
Mk6 SWB TDCI 125
the dutch guy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby the dutch guy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:37 am

anyone?
Mk6 SWB TDCI 125
the dutch guy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby stevo » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:41 am

It will be driveshafts if it's between a certain. My mate had the same on his mk7 and after replacing the drive shafts it's stopped, I had it on my old mk6 too but never had them done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Formely ibanez2005

Your's is the new Ford Transit!

2003 100 T260 TDDi swb
stevo
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby bambi mk 1 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:50 am

the dutch guy wrote:secondary question: i have driveshafts without ABS, do driveshafts with ABS rings fit? for some (stupid) reason the version without ABS ring costs almost 500 euro new and the one with ABS costs 170.

They are halfshafts are unlikely to be the problem.Check the driveshaft (propshaft) between the gearbox and axle :idea: You can change the rear joint :wink: :lol: yourself may have to go elsewhere to replace the others.Just be careful the lady at the reception dosent give you a big bill :wink: :lol:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby the dutch guy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:13 pm

i don't have a axle, i have FWD.
Mk6 SWB TDCI 125
the dutch guy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bambi mk 1 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:26 pm

the dutch guy wrote:i don't have a axle, i have FWD.

Sorry didn't see the dreaded TDCI in your first post.You can fit the abs type but count the splines on the gearbox end as there are two types. I have two good second hand ones here an may be able to get them to Aalsmeer if any good to you :)
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby the dutch guy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:38 pm

is there any way of knowing how many splines there are? i really would not like to take a entire side apart, manhandle the shaft out, look at the splines, put it all back, drive back home (my garage is 20 miles from home) and get some other shafts.
thank you for your offer bambi, but today i already got one (36 splines, with ABS) for the left (short) side from someone who did not need it anymore for a case of beer (good trade me thinks). but before i try and tear the entire side out of the van i kinda want to know if it will fit.
now i know the ABS is no issue i dare to try and replace that side first hopting that the splines will match. if that does not solve it then i replace the other side. but considering a new one is 170 and a secondhand (with old rubber whatevertheyarecalledinenglishdustcoverthings) is nearly 100 euro i might just get a new one for the other side.

is the shaft bearing on the right side a must-replace or do those things live forever?

apologies in advance for asking dumb questions.
Mk6 SWB TDCI 125
the dutch guy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby the dutch guy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:53 am

my local ford stealer was surprisingly helpful, while i was waiting to order a new spare key i taked about the issues i had.
they offerd to take it out, a mechanic drove 200m and immedialy said that the inner CV on the right side is borked.
they needed some time to figure out what version driveshaft i had. it was 28.

orderd a new one for 140 euro (and free shipping!). but the lower ball joint was impossible to release. not even my 20 pound sledge could make it pop.
jumped on ebay got a ball joint splitter for 25 euro including shipping from the UK. it's cheaper in the UK with shipping then the same one in my local shop.
if it arrives i can finally replace the shaft.
Mk6 SWB TDCI 125
the dutch guy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby the dutch guy » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:25 pm

update: problem was fixed by replacing both driveshafts. the CV joints on both sides were shot but you could only really feel it when they were removed.
Mk6 SWB TDCI 125
the dutch guy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits