*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Is this a Good Price Genuine Timing Chain,Tensioner etc

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Is this a Good Price Genuine Timing Chain,Tensioner etc

Postby RayTrans » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:41 pm

Lads is this a good price as I bought a Mk6 2.4 Rwd Genuine Ford Timing Chain, Genuine Ford Tensioner, and Guides for £355 pounds
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers 8) 8)
Ray

MK6 Transit High Roof RWD 115 Bhp Twin Sliding doors.
RayTrans
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Is this a Good Price Genuine Timing Chain,Tensioner etc

Postby APH » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:42 pm

RayTrans wrote:Lads is this a good price as I bought a Mk6 2.4 Rwd Genuine Ford Timing Chain, Genuine Ford Tensioner, and Guides for £355 pounds

Not a bad price, but not sure if all dealers use same prices, as whenever I've got the bits for a RWD van, I alway got from fords, and only ever cost about £340, however, I got the following every time, and I wouldn't recommend doing it without the bolts etc as they are stretch type and can snap if re used...

Parts I ordered where:

Guides,
Tensioner
Tensioner Blade
Guide Bolts / blade bolt
Tensioner bolts
Chain
Front cover sealant
Gasket for front cover coolant elbow (metal triangular gasket)
Coolant elbow O-Ring
Water pump to Block gasket

have never changed sprockets, sprocket bolts, or crank pulley bolts, gaskets may not be essential although they are meant to be one use as metal compression type, I have go away with re using once or twice, but had leaks on some vans, I would however always do the o-ring as have always leaked one if I ever tried to re use.

Andy :D
03 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 LWB HR white panel van
X reg 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 MWB MR Yellow Panel van
56 reg lwb high roof connect, 1.8 tdci 90 t 220

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

this is bunny

copy and paste to help bunny gain world domination
APH
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby 4door4 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:44 am

APH wrote:
have never changed sprockets, sprocket bolts, or crank pulley bolts, gaskets may not be essential although they are meant to be one use as metal compression type, I have go away with re using once or twice, but had leaks on some vans, I would however always do the o-ring as have always leaked one if I ever tried to re use.

Sprocket bolts didn't feel extremely tight when I torqued mine so I agree they should be fine to reuse. Crank pulley bolts however, I think mine were 70NM in a few stages then another 90 degrees or something? Very tight, feels like they really tension up. Wouldn't be surprised if I was up around 300NM by the time I hit 90 degrees of rotation.

So I'm weary of re-using those. My workshop manual says replace each time, others on this forum say a single re-use is OK, and I think that's as far as I would go with them personally. Have you ever seen pulley bolts snap, or do they really stand up to multiple re-use?
4door4
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby APH » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:52 am

4door4 wrote:
APH wrote:

Sprocket bolts didn't feel extremely tight when I torqued mine so I agree they should be fine to reuse. Crank pulley bolts however, I think mine were 70NM in a few stages then another 90 degrees or something? Very tight, feels like they really tension up. Wouldn't be surprised if I was up around 300NM by the time I hit 90 degrees of rotation.

So I'm weary of re-using those. My workshop manual says replace each time, others on this forum say a single re-use is OK, and I think that's as far as I would go with them personally. Have you ever seen pulley bolts snap, or do they really stand up to multiple re-use?

Ford Spec says they can be re used three times, you should centre punch a dot into the heads each time you remove them, and then you know when they need changing. I have never had a set fail on re use, and I've done a lot of chains and pumps over the years and always re used, and have my own vans ones out about 5 times now, and still haven't replaced them! although they are probably cheap enough so could get a set if you feel happier. I do have trouble with the front cover bolts though, as they snap really easily if not careful. I just finger tight and about a quarter turn with a small ratchet now and that's it, provided sealer bead is correctly done, and you didn't mangle cover when removing it, then it won't leak.

03 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 LWB HR white panel van
X reg 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 MWB MR Yellow Panel van
56 reg lwb high roof connect, 1.8 tdci 90 t 220

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

this is bunny

copy and paste to help bunny gain world domination
APH
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby 4door4 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:44 am

APH wrote:
Ford Spec says they can be re used three times, you should centre punch a dot into the heads each time you remove them, and then you know when they need changing. I have never had a set fail on re use, and I've done a lot of chains and pumps over the years and always re used, and have my own vans ones out about 5 times now, and still haven't replaced them! although they are probably cheap enough so could get a set if you feel happier. I do have trouble with the front cover bolts though, as they snap really easily if not careful. I just finger tight and about a quarter turn with a small ratchet now and that's it, provided sealer bead is correctly done, and you didn't mangle cover when removing it, then it won't leak.

Great news, I'll start re-using pulley bolts as they cost me 15 quid for three, and the old ones that I kept still have life in them. Good advice on the cover bolts too, I'll reduce the torque on them next time, no need to go overboard. Luckily none of the little guide/blade mounting bolts snapped or I would have been in deep trouble, and my kit didn't come with them. I didn't learn about that possibility of them snapping (from one of your older comments) until I was in the middle of the job and just had to get it done.

My tensioner/chain/guide kit was much cheaper than most others are paying (it's genuine but not from a dealer and might be from Turkey?) so next time I'll try and source the guide bolts separately if I can. Just have to figure out what they are made of. Might be standard 8.8 high tensile, might be something else.

I didn't re-use my old cover but I think it's good enough to re-use again. I used plastic trim removal tools as a wedge to pry it off at top corner which didn't score or mark the metal. Once I got the top corner started I gripped the very edge with vise grips and pulled, then the whole thing came away in fairly good shape, for the most part.
4door4
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby RayTrans » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:32 pm

Andy you Top Trumped me on that one I thought the boy did go but the next time I need any part I am giving you a shout first Cheers Ray

APH wrote:
RayTrans wrote:Lads is this a good price as I bought a Mk6 2.4 Rwd Genuine Ford Timing Chain, Genuine Ford Tensioner, and Guides for £355 pounds

Not a bad price, but not sure if all dealers use same prices, as whenever I've got the bits for a RWD van, I alway got from fords, and only ever cost about £340, however, I got the following every time, and I wouldn't recommend doing it without the bolts etc as they are stretch type and can snap if re used...

Parts I ordered where:

Guides,
Tensioner
Tensioner Blade
Guide Bolts / blade bolt
Tensioner bolts
Chain
Front cover sealant
Gasket for front cover coolant elbow (metal triangular gasket)
Coolant elbow O-Ring
Water pump to Block gasket

Cheers 8) 8)
Ray

MK6 Transit High Roof RWD 115 Bhp Twin Sliding doors.
RayTrans
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits