*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Power Steering Leak

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Power Steering Leak

Postby MJ80 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:46 pm

I have fitted a recon rack, new supply and return hoses while getting the van van back on the road. It went through its test no problems last week, but since then it has started leaking power steering fluid from the rack where the supply and return pipes connect, it leaks from the bottom pipe and has been getting worse. I ordered a new O rings and changed it on the lower pipe, but it is still leaking. It is a steady weep when the motor is running.
Has anyone got an idea how I can get this solved?
2003 Mk 6 125 tdci T350 - I have no other choice
MJ80
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Power Steering Leak

Postby tilly » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:51 am

I have the same, but it empties the whole reservoir in three days..

Its leaking on the bottom pipe, at the position the rubber clamp holds it, and at the clamp fixed to the chassis. I take it that the whole pipe is going to need replacing, as it looks like its corrosion damage.
Mk7, FWD 110ps GLX in Silver 2007
tilly
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby tilly » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:54 am

Just ordered a replacement pipe off Ebay. Is it an easy job to do ?
tilly
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby MJ80 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:12 pm

Changing the pipes is straight forward. Mine is leaking out of the racks end seal, I'm waiting for a replacement rack now.
2003 Mk 6 125 tdci T350 - I have no other choice
MJ80
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby tilly » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:03 pm

What a job...

The Ebay seller was on holiday, so cancelled the order. Had to go over the Ford Parts in Birmingham to pick up a high pressure pipe. I asked the stores guy if there was anything else that I needed, and he sold me a set of o rings. Right, thats all I need, so went home and stripped off the pipe. Found that the pipe had corroded where its held on by the rubber sleeve, near to the pump. Removed the pipe, and then found it had also gone on the return alloy pipe, where its held on to the chassis rail, with a two pipe clamp. Great, no way of getting a new pipe whilst the van was in its current state. The alloy pipe cracked as soon as I put any pressure on it, so I was lucky it didbt go whilst driving. Tried to take off the plastic clamp, holding the pipes onto the side of the steering rack, 5.5mm hex head screw, and it sheered off.. Removed the bolt holding the pipes into the rack, with a 10mm spanner, and out came the two pipes. Right, tried to remove the bolt, holding the front clamp as the new pipe comes with a new mounting bracket. That one was a bit tight, and it also sheered off, right where it enters the block, through steering pump body.. oh feck.

I then found that the storeman hadnt given me the hollow bolt that you pop on the end of the pipe, where it joins the pump. Sent my boy out to Ford of Stoke to pick up new low pressure alloy pipe, and a hollow bolt.. He returns and I, without thinking pressed the bolt onto the pipe, where it then locks in place. I have no idea if you need to fit any o rings in before pressing on this bolt, but its not leaked at all. Why the thing isnt supplied fitted to the pipe I dont know, as once its on, its never coming off.

Fitted everything, tightened up the bolts, and just had to push home the broken bolt on the front bracket, and secure with a squirt of silicone. Thats a job for another day, drilling out that broken bolt and removing it, if I keep the van any length of time.. Filled up the reservoir and turned the wheel from side to side a few times. Noise has gone, no leaks, and Im back to not filling the pot up every few days...

Pretty easy job if you have all the parts to hand, but messy, and bits are liable to break off due to rust.
tilly
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby oOplumberOo » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:49 pm

this the bolt your talking about? , your lucky ;) the o-rings built into it , a little bit of silicone grease would help it from drying out over the years though ,
I was a little shocked with fords way of thinking with this , i mean who the hell puts an o-ring in a nut??, so then to replace it you have to carefully slice the nut into two pieces without damaging the pipe!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oOplumberOo
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby tilly » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:47 pm

Thats the one... I initially thought I'd fecked it up, as it snapped on and wouldnt come off. My pipe looks a little different though.

No issues at all since replacing the two pipes though...
tilly
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits