*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

EGR removal and fault codes?

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

EGR removal and fault codes?

Postby Joelmk6transit » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:41 pm

MK6 05 FWD 2.0 85ps
Have to possibly replace(hopefully just deep clean) my egr. I was told i could simply disconnect it and put a new one in without getting any error codes on my particular model of transit, thought i better check. My egr is located on the front left, i thought they were all located on the rear right of the engine. Any thoughts? I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to engines, is there anything i should look out for or be extra carfull with with removing it?

Heres a link with two pictures
Egr https://imgur.com/gallery/o4j3H

Cheers
Joelmk6transit

Re: EGR removal and fault codes?

Postby APH » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:50 am

You can just swap it out without any issues the plug is just a variable resistor that shows the ecu if the valve is open, closed. or anywhere in between. However, are you getting fault codes at the moment? if so then you will probably need to replace unless you can get it really well cleaned up and moving freely (oven cleaner is good). If your not getting a specific egr fault, just put a blank plate in between the flange and the valve body on the right hand side (metal pipe inlet) and then leave it as is. (don't unplug anything, and leave the vacuum pipe attached as the ecu will still need to open and close the valve and "see it" opening and closing)

Be careful undoing the two exhaust connection studs as they can be really tight or snap if not lucky. the two on the plastic intake on the top shouldn't be over tight, and the rubber hose should just be on a hose clip/ jubilee clip.

Even if you do just clean it or have to replace it, put a blank in the exhaust inlet side when you re fit, as you will notice it improves running and fuel efficiency, and will stop it failing again as wont be getting all the soot and muck in it anymore.

Andy :D
03 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 LWB HR white panel van
X reg 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 MWB MR Yellow Panel van
56 reg lwb high roof connect, 1.8 tdci 90 t 220

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

this is bunny

copy and paste to help bunny gain world domination
APH
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Joelmk6transit » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:03 pm

Cheers for the advice andy! Was actually really easy to do. Dont know why i was so apprehensive! I cleaned out the egr and intake ( proper dirty job!) Went for a test drive, the power delivery was noticeably smother, so happy days there. Then i blanked off the egr a few days after and haven't noticed any improvement in power. I was under the assumption it improved the mid range? Hopefully it improves my mpg, i wont hold my breath though(driving in central London so alot of stop/start driving).

The hose that runs from the egr to intercooler was caked in oil, is that something i should worry about? Leaky turbo?

Cheers
Joel
Joelmk6transit

Postby APH » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:20 pm

Joelmk6transit wrote:Cheers for the advice andy! Was actually really easy to do. Dont know why i was so apprehensive! I cleaned out the egr and intake ( proper dirty job!) Went for a test drive, the power delivery was noticeably smother, so happy days there. Then i blanked off the egr a few days after and haven't noticed any improvement in power. I was under the assumption it improved the mid range? Hopefully it improves my mpg, i wont hold my breath though(driving in central London so alot of stop/start driving).

The hose that runs from the egr to intercooler was caked in oil, is that something i should worry about? Leaky turbo?

Cheers
Joel

well done, not a nice job usually :| depending on how much it was, that hose has usually got a covering of oil in it, and maybe a t spoon or so pooled somewhere, as the turbo seals always let by very slightly. if you could poor a fairly big amount out however, that could be showing exssesive wear in the seals. You won't notice huge power gains from just doing the egr, but it should slightly improve fuel consumption, but in your case maybe only very slightly, however, it will no longer be gunking the engine up with soot, which is always a good improvement.

Andy :D
03 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 LWB HR white panel van
X reg 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 MWB MR Yellow Panel van
56 reg lwb high roof connect, 1.8 tdci 90 t 220

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

this is bunny

copy and paste to help bunny gain world domination
APH
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Jim Archer » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:32 am

Oil could mean the motor is breathing a bit heavily.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Joelmk6transit » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:52 pm

A clean engine is good enough for me. Cant be good for it breathing in all that gunk! Had a full service done the other day, everything seems to be working just fine now. Had a bit of bluish smoke come out straight after but disappeared after a short run and hasn't come back (fingers crossed). My mechanic said the turbo might be letting a tiny bit of oil through but not enough to worry about at the moment. Checked the intercooler pipes and he said it was only slightly more than a normal amount of residue. He didn't seem to bothered about it so think I'll be okay. Would you guys know of any decent turbo workshops inside the m25?

Had to pick my younger sister up the other day from uni, so i thought I'd use the opportunity to give it a bit of a Italian tune up, chucked in a k&n filter, some injector cleaner and did a 400 mile run up and back on the M1 on premium diesel. Pulls like a train now. The difference it makes is unbelievable. Managed to hit 110mph :lol: :lol: can easily overtake now without having to mash my foot to the floor. Happy days!

Any other cheapish things i could do to free up a bit more power? I'm guessing an induction kit would just make more noise on a diesel engine? Been reading some of the pages on the forum and tuning seems to be the way to go! But I'm worried about the engine long term, should i be?

Cheers for the help and advice guys, much appreciated.
Absolutely loving this site, Giving me too many ideas for the van.
Joel
Joelmk6transit

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits