*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

charging/starting

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

charging/starting

Postby YellowBus » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:21 pm

Hi all

Can I run this past the far more knowledgeable bods on the forum than me.

I have a 17 seat bus. If I park it for a week or so, the batteries go flat. I got the impression the tacho was the culprit. I have to leave this in place because we are going to France where you have to have n use a tacho if you have 9 or more seats. Even if non commercial.

I fitted a big cut out switch in the battery earth lead to stop any drain and, this has worked well, until recently. I parked for a couple of weeks and the batteries were flat again but the bus jump started ok and ran. After driving for 20 mins or so, I again failed to start. I charged the batteries for 24 hours and had them tested as ok.

I then read the posts on here for advice. I don't think there's a starter motor prob as it jumps ok. I assume the alternator is ok as the bus runs well with all the LEDs on my fag lighter splitter indicating there's loadsa voltage available. I haven't tested any voltages properly yet (lent me meter to the guy next door). I dismantled the battery earth lead as per all the advice and found a right mess. It took a wire wheel in a drill to get rid of all the rust and dull surfaces. There was nothing other than the bolt and washer holding the connector to the body. I put a lock type washer on either side of the connector to bite and make a better earth contact and lubed it all with copper paste.

What I need to ask you all is, do you think this poor earth lead connection has just stopped the batteries from charging? ie there are no issues with starting or charging?

I just don't want to have another non starter.

Thanks all
YellowBus

Re: charging/starting

Postby Back probe » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:08 am

Possibly. Have you checked your charge rate?
Back probe
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Altransit » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:51 am

Mk6 or Mk7?

I reckon that your batteries are cream crackered, either way :?
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby YellowBus » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:13 pm

It's a mk6 54 plate. I put put the two fully charged batteries on yesterday after getting them checked as ok. It started ok and I drove around the block doing about 5 miles, parked up, disconnected the batteries in case there was a drain. But again, no start this evening.

any ideas all?
YellowBus

Postby ake » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:07 am

YellowBus wrote:It's a mk6 54 plate. I put put the two fully charged batteries on yesterday after getting them checked as ok. It started ok and I drove around the block doing about 5 miles, parked up, disconnected the batteries in case there was a drain. But again, no start this evening.

any ideas all?

If you had disconnected the batteries and they still discharged, then the batteries appear to be the problem.
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby YellowBus » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:04 am

Thanks Ake. This is what's confusing me. They both tested ok and would they both go naff together? Unless it's something anyone can come up with, it looks like my only option is to buy two new batteries.
YellowBus

Postby knobby1 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:08 am

YellowBus wrote:Thanks Ake. This is what's confusing me. They both tested ok and would they both go naff together? Unless it's something anyone can come up with, it looks like my only option is to buy two new batteries.

How old are the batteries and were they properly "load tested"??...Just because they can hold ~12v it doesn't mean they're ok. 5 years is a fairly good innings for a battery.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby YellowBus » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:56 am

Thanks all. I have just spoken to a transit bod who has confirmed the above. He said it's prob one duff battery dragging the other down. I've been trickle charging (as that's what most of us have) but he will boost charge and then test them properly.

In the mean time, do you think I'll be ok with one mondeo battery 80Ah 800A in place of the bus's twin 71Ah 650A ones?

Damn batteries. Thanks all and I'll keep you posted.
YellowBus

Postby ake » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:05 am

YellowBus wrote:Thanks all. I have just spoken to a transit bod who has confirmed the above. He said it's prob one duff battery dragging the other down. I've been trickle charging (as that's what most of us have) but he will boost charge and then test them properly.

In the mean time, do you think I'll be ok with one mondeo battery 80Ah 800A in place of the bus's twin 71Ah 650A ones?

Damn batteries. Thanks all and I'll keep you posted.

Twin batteries would be better, that's why it has two
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby YellowBus » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:02 pm

thanks again Ake. What I meant was, would I do any damage by using just the mondeo battery while I sorted out what's going on. From what I can make out, I should be ok.

The up date is that all's well with just the mondeo battery so the prob is with the batteries as per previous advice. The guy who is testing them now says that he has had quite a few recent failures with Yuasa batteries. He no longer supplies them because of this. I didn't phone him today but he was confident that one of the batteries will have snuffed it and will be compromising the other one.

Thanks for all your help and advice again all.
YellowBus

Postby karl » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:08 pm

if one battery is knackered then it will bring the other one down with it :D
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits