*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Rear Door lock

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Rear Door lock

Postby imageoven » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:30 pm

I have a problem where my rear doors will not unlock.

Outer handle moves up without resistance but it is still attached to the rod. moving the inner door opening latch does not open it - it doesn't seem to go all the way across to the left like it does when working. Is it deadlocked? I have opened drivers door with key and turned ignition on - same fault. Shouldnt I always be able to open the door from inside with this slider regardless of the electrical side of things?

I am suspecting a loom fault maybe involved as I am now (having moved the loom around) getting horn beep when trying to lock the van (other locks are operating as they should) or a faulty lock mechanism, Ive had similar fault previously which seemed cured by general wiggling of everything and eventualy the inner latch opened it.

The door itself isnt great condition - looks to be a bit bent into the lock at the latch as if a prying screw driver might have been in at some point. (possibly causing a sticky latch?) a replacement loom or latch is half what somepeople want for a complete door. How easy is it to replace and align a rear door?
imageoven
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Rear Door lock

Postby richgold » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:18 pm

You sometimes cant open the door from inside if its fooked.

Sounds like a loom problem to me, had this myself, you're lucky its not taken your central locking fuse with it and locked you out completely. If you continue to "wiggle the loom" to try to fix it that could still happen. Either track down the break in the loom by removing it and testing the individual wires visualy or with a meter for continuity, then fix or replace.

The loom is about 100 dong from any of Henry's finest parts dispensories.
Vauxhall Nova GTE 1300 1988 in Royal Blue - My garage ornament.
Volkswagen Crafter 136 LWB 2016 back in white and staying that way! SOLD!!!
Transit 115 Jumbo 2010 - SOLD!
Audi TT 225 Roadster - SOLD!
Mercedes Sprinter 311 LWB 2004 - SOLD!
richgold
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby imageoven » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:23 pm

I'll pull out the loom and meter it out and repair as necessary. Does anyone know the answer to this;

Shouldnt I always be able to open the door from inside with this slider regardless of the electrical side of things?

Seems odd not to be able to overide it.
imageoven
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby imageoven » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:24 pm

I'll wind a window down before doing anymore wiggling too - thanks for the tip.
imageoven
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby imageoven » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:37 pm

I think I've solved it.

The handle to threaded rod atachment had recently given up and been replaced and it seems I'd adjusted it to be too tight. Bringing it back a few turns and it returned to working as expected again.

Suspicious that it might have been coincidence I tried tightening it up and fault came back again, few turns back and it goes away so I'm happy thats all it was.

There was a fair amount of movement between the plastic handle and the metal part of the lever so I decided to replace the handle too. put a big scratch in the door drilling the rivet out so I need to treat that before I can get it all back together but hopefully that will be the end of it.
imageoven
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits