*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Classic steering rack leak

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Classic steering rack leak

Postby cjm2009 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:02 pm

So I opened the bonnet on the weekend to check a few bits and pieces, and I noticed the power steering reservoir was practically empty.

There has been an advisory of 'light misting of oil on steering rack' for the past couple of services - and a slight burning oil smell when stood idling, but I never worried much about it until now.

My steering rack is properly leaking! The subframe is wet with ATF fluid, the neck where the column meets the rack is soaking, and I reckon a seal has blown somewhere (no sh*t sherlock :D).

Initially I thought it was corrosion on the lower supply pipe (which is a bit of a mess) but that's completely dry to the touch. Do the seals go where the rod ends meet the rack? Can these seals be replaced, or do I need a whole new rack?

All the other joints seem dry. I've checked it with the motor running & working the steering hard & can't see anything from the unions. I'm guessing at 84k miles & 14 years old I'm starting to see rubber bits perishing?

Any advice is most appreciated.

Here are some pictures:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cjm2009
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Classic steering rack leak

Postby Back probe » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:13 pm

There's a seal in the rack end but the boot looks bone dry so I doubt that's gone. One those steering lines looks well corroded though!!
Back probe
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby cjm2009 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:29 pm

Back probe wrote:There's a seal in the rack end but the boot looks bone dry so I doubt that's gone. One those steering lines looks well corroded though!!

I'm picking a replacement up tonight. I doubt the one pictured has more than 12 months left to live.... £144+ vat - plus the seals.

I'll get the garage to change it while they're messing about in there. I'm convinced it's the column entry seal, but I can't find a kit anywhere. And I don't want to go down the recon route because this one is play-free....
cjm2009
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby cjm2009 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:36 pm

workshop verdict - I was correct, it was the pinion seal. Everything else is fine. Can't do much without a replacement though!

They've changed the manky pipe anyway. They've said that if the seal turns up they can have a go at it tomorrow morning.
cjm2009
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby discostu1955 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:24 am

Hi. I also have an oil leak from where the pinion shaft enters the rack housing (arrow in pick)
If that is the seal you are replacing could you PLEASE give me either the part number or the seal dimensions
as I can't find any details on that seal without removing mine and it is the only vehicle I have so I can't
chase parts with it off road.
Thanks
Stu
discostu1955

Postby cjm2009 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:38 pm

Ahh bugger, it's been fitted now & has fixed the leak!

It might be worth shooting an email off to TRW (who manufactured the rack) - maybe they'll have a fiche with the seal sizes.
cjm2009
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits