*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Looking for loading area wheel arches?

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Looking for loading area wheel arches?

Postby StUerror » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:03 pm

Hi,
Ive discovered today I need new loading area wheel arches (the wheel arch section in the back of the van)
The area between the arch and the floor pan has rusted through allowing me to see daylight.
I can weld and was thinking of doing it myself but I cant find the arches anywhere... Can anyone help?

Thanks
StUerror
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Looking for loading area wheel arches?

Postby oOplumberOo » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:01 pm

i did this , i used sheet metal , i literally ran the grinder straight across about 4-5" above the floor level all the way around the arch , bent up a piece of sheet metal for the two corners and over lapped it on this inside at the top and it shot straight down , hard to explain, at the time it was easier for me as my floor was out i also added a piece of angle iron that took the load across direcetly below the arch line {where arch meets floor} , and then plug welded to that from the inside of the arch ,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
oOplumberOo
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby StUerror » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:09 am

That's a great help thanks.
How think was your sheet metal? I may have to cut it abit of the floor pan aswell.
So I think I'm working from the same page.
What did you use to protect it afterwards?
StUerror
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby oOplumberOo » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:49 am

that was 1mm thick , yea you would have to cut along the floor for sure, if you cut it exactly right then you could just slide that down but if your floor was anything like mine then it might be easier for you to cut that back aswell and also add an angle iron support to take the floor and arch and then put back floor section with 2mm steel , i used white 2k epoxy primer {direct to almost anything and waterproof! } and PU adhesive to seal the egdes and smeared in wheel arch to join blend in with the old sealant and then black underseal shutz to finish off , you have to clean and abrade the absolute hell out of the inside of the wheel arch where your join and weld through areas are to seal them back properly or your be doing it again ;)
oOplumberOo
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits