*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Welding help/Advice

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Welding help/Advice

Postby mark1977 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:27 pm

Hi all, I was wondering if I could get some advise/help re Welding.
Van info
Transit 03 plate RWD MWB, Duratorq 2.5
It is a camper conversion I have done myself, but it has just failed MOT with Rust issues (as well as other bits!).
With regards to the rust, basically down the passenger side (sliding door side) the inner and outer sills need cutting out and replacing, from one wheel arch to the next. Also the outer sill for the passenger door.
I’ve been thinking about learning to weld for a bit, I suppose with a transit it’s a must! So anyway, I was thinking about buying a Mig welding unit and learning, to aim at doing work myself. I was gonna order the sills online, unless anyone knows anywhere better to get them? Also, any advice on a second hand mig welder unit and mask, would be much appreciated?
But also I’m thinking if this maybe is too bigger job to start with. So I was wondering if anyone who can weld and lives around East Sussex (or knows someone), would like to help me (for a bit of cash), so I can learn first-hand and do most the work and someone is on hand so I don’t screw up!
Cheers Mark
mark1977

Re: Welding help/Advice

Postby mattt429 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:34 pm

Sills aren't too bad to do, i made all my repair panels up myself with some good mild steel and a grinder, lots of cardboard helps to make up patterns. I did all my mot welding using a wolf 140 mig welder, gas or gasless brand new for under £200. I think i got a good mask for around £30/40 Been using flux core wire as i'm not always welding in great conditions. You want the weld to sound like sizzling bacon basically :), repairs must be seam welded for mot :)

I'd grab a good second hand or cheap new welder and get some scrap to practice on first, should give you a rough idea of what you're doing quite quickly, practice different types of weld as underneath lying on your back isn't as easy as on the bench.

My personal favourite rule is ABC. Always be comfortable when welding :D
2003 MK6 T350 90PS 2.4 TDDI MWB MHR RWD
mattt429
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby misterdog » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:49 pm

And - beware the hot rocks they burn both clothes and skin :shock:
2002 Mk6 90 T350 2.4TDDI
misterdog
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mattt429 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:18 pm

misterdog wrote:And - beware the hot rocks they burn both clothes and skin :shock:

Yes! a right swine when it rolls into ya belly button :shock: :twisted:
2003 MK6 T350 90PS 2.4 TDDI MWB MHR RWD
mattt429
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mistericeman » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:49 pm

Deff worthwhile learning to weld.... not just for Transit BUT in general....

Decide what you can afford to spend on a welder.... then stick a bit more on top...
I've yet to hear ANYONE say they regret spending more on a welder than they needed to (cheap IS cheap for a reason)

Practice practice practice or preferably get on a night school course/BOC course...

Then get used to cutting out more rot than you expected BUT cut it out once and have done with it.

mistericeman
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mark1977 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:08 pm

Thanks for the replies. I've managed to find myself a short course down the road. So I will start my welding adventure.. :)
mark1977

Postby oOplumberOo » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:47 pm

i taught myself to weld after my m8 brought a welder, i borrowed it , for a loooong time lol, it was duanting at first , like "i shouldnt be doing this" kinda made me nervous but after a while that feeling goes away , its just like handwriting but abit more to it , do yourself a favour and get the hobby weld c02/argon bottle, you buy the bottle and the gas fill , everytime its empty you take it back and swap it for a full one and just pay the gas fill charge, really worth it! , the little £18 mig bottles last about 5 mins , not even joking ! dont waste a single penny on them..., and get some old car panels and practice unitl your happy, it can also be very hard getting a clean weld with vehicles purely because most of the time you can only clean one side of the panel that your welding , when your weld penetrates through the sheet , any contamination on the back of the panel can have an affect on your weld...
oOplumberOo
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby carl20 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:06 pm

I bought a Mighty MIG 100 gasless and taught myself by welding the floor in the back of my van 1st because it's flattish and will be covered up.
When I got more confident in tackled the chassis and underneath. Now I'm quite confident and do the more tricky bits. Don't give up as it seems like it's too difficult at 1st. It's just getting used to the machine.
The one thing I remember realising was important was the metal must be free of contamination and tother get thicker gauge metal as the thin stuff blows through.
Good luck mate.....I saved myself hundreds maybe thousands over the years.....you will too.
carl20
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits