*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Fakes and more Fakes. Where to buy a good IDS scan tool

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: Fakes and more Fakes. Where to buy a good IDS scan tool

Postby knobby1 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:44 am

fitzy wrote:Can you program modules using the Forscan software, like the PCM for example?

Dave

Yes..!

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby grogan197 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:33 pm

knobby1 wrote:
fitzy wrote:Can you program modules using the Forscan software, like the PCM for example?

Dave

Yes..!

Lord Knobrot

You can edit some settings but I don't think you can do full module programming like you can in IDS. They are apparently working on it though.
2006 MK6 2.0 125 TDCI - Luton Camper Conversion
2007 MK7 2.2 110 TDCI SWB

Ford Diagnostics
Where to buy an ELM327 and how to use with ForScan
grogan197
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby loot » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:23 pm

Forscan is basically a software (coupled with a modified elm 327 obd tool) which seems to have nearly full access to Ford module/data, the program is based on pids and backwards engineered coding that reads/modifies/writes to the modules, it is continuously being tested and developed so new functions/vehicles are continuously being added.

I've tasted this when i was modifying the transit software to turn on certain functions, so i know how much time and effort go into it :-(

Again it takes all this time because they have to stay away from copywrite infringement and because Ford/bosch/visteon etc don't give out any info to 3rd parties (and tbh quite rightly so!)

Note tho, as yet I've not seen any evidence that there is any software able to bypass the new etis coded security function @ 2012 adding keys/modules online :-(
This includes clone ids and forscan.

Also ids is less code related and has specific functions and it clearly explains to you what the procedure you are about to perform is.
Fordcan i found to be slightly more code related and while some ppl prefer forscan, i prefer ids.

However, forscan is free (requires a modified elm 327 adapter) about 15 gbp so for that you can't go wrong
Ids is designed specifically but it is about 100gbp+and requires installing which some ppl struggle with and also there are so many varying quality vcm2s floating about and some are faulty.

I have both and use ids, been on forscan once.

I recommend forscan tho as it does code reading etc that is the most common use you'll have for it, module reprogramming etc tbh I'd be a bit worried about forscan because it seems too open source for me and i don't believe it has all the security protocols in place, it looks like a page of writing but with spelling mistakes in places to me, that's in a coding point of view tho. Incomplete and insecure.

I've fooked things up on ids plenty of times but always recovered it, from power interrupts and programming errors and so on.

Had 1 go on forscan but felt prickly heat on my neck Lol

Not sure why i wrote all that, it isn't a specific endorsement or anything just my thoughts on it, see a lot of ppl who can't decide or not sure what each software is and stuff.

:mrgreen:

Bloody Ford :P
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby knobby1 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:14 am

I've had the same experience with IDS & Forscrotum...err...sorry Forscan..!

Both have their uses...IDS is the complete nuts & bolts...Forscan is close but still not quite there...but still worth getting IMHO..

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby karl » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:16 pm

loot wrote:Forscan is basically a software (coupled with a modified elm 327 obd tool) which seems to have nearly full access to Ford module/data, the program is based on pids and backwards engineered coding that reads/modifies/writes to the modules, it is continuously being tested and developed so new functions/vehicles are continuously being added.

I've tasted this when i was modifying the transit software to turn on certain functions, so i know how much time and effort go into it :-(

Again it takes all this time because they have to stay away from copywrite infringement and because Ford/bosch/visteon etc don't give out any info to 3rd parties (and tbh quite rightly so!)

Note tho, as yet I've not seen any evidence that there is any software able to bypass the new etis coded security function @ 2012 adding keys/modules online :-(
This includes clone ids and forscan.

Also ids is less code related and has specific functions and it clearly explains to you what the procedure you are about to perform is.
Fordcan i found to be slightly more code related and while some ppl prefer forscan, i prefer ids.

However, forscan is free (requires a modified elm 327 adapter) about 15 gbp so for that you can't go wrong
Ids is designed specifically but it is about 100gbp+and requires installing which some ppl struggle with and also there are so many varying quality vcm2s floating about and some are faulty.

I have both and use ids, been on forscan once.

I recommend forscan tho as it does code reading etc that is the most common use you'll have for it, module reprogramming etc tbh I'd be a bit worried about forscan because it seems too open source for me and i don't believe it has all the security protocols in place, it looks like a page of writing but with spelling mistakes in places to me, that's in a coding point of view tho. Incomplete and insecure.

I've fooked things up on ids plenty of times but always recovered it, from power interrupts and programming errors and so on.

Had 1 go on forscan but felt prickly heat on my neck Lol

Not sure why i wrote all that, it isn't a specific endorsement or anything just my thoughts on it, see a lot of ppl who can't decide or not sure what each software is and stuff.

:mrgreen:

Bloody Ford :P

i need a guinney pig

to try mine as i havnt tried the key programming bit yet :D
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby loot » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:19 pm

I'm shocked nobody has asked to have a key programmed yet :?:
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby 2016comming » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:02 am

grogan197 wrote:I'm sitting here with my second fake VXDIAG VCX Nano. This time I went for one being sold at a higher price and the listing even said tested with PCM programming which it obviously wasn't.

Both my scanners work for code reading and live data but any module programming they just throw errors. The one I got a month a go looks like it's going to work then throws an error code. The one I got today just says vehicle battery too low, I hooked the van to a charger and still the same. Looking at the details it's only picking up 6v at the obd port. The other tool shows 12.7v so it would seem that's where the problem lies with the second fake.

Can anyone recommend a seller of a decent VCX Nano or VCM II that will work with module programming? Failing that does anyone have IDS near Rugby/Coventry who I could pay to update the ECU's on a couple of vans?

Programming:
A required file "Extendprogramming.exe", download on mega:
https://mega.nz/#!IAIg2BIC!Z9dYgJYmhixv ... wlVH0yH_58
Decompressed -> select the car brand you want.
2016comming
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby twin--turbo » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:50 am

Forscan won't do software updates on modules.

I have IDS for my Jaguar, IT's an absolute PITA to get running and if you connect to the internet you risk it updating and becoming broken!... ( and that's for someone who has been administering I.T. Systems since 1994.. )

Even got forscan running natively on Linux, although it does not run the extended licence.

TT
twin--turbo
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:13 am

twin--turbo wrote:Forscan won't do software updates on modules.

Even got forscan running natively on Linux, although it does not run the extended licence.

TT

I did my BCM just last weekend...programmed it with "As built" data. Also did my PATS module and programmed my keys...works fine.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby twin--turbo » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:32 am

"Programming" or actual software updates?
twin--turbo
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:05 am

twin--turbo wrote:"Programming" or actual software updates?

Ahh...good question...prolly just programming.....I did a PCM update a while ago but that was using IDS.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby CDPDesign » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:08 pm

Is it possible to get forscan to read codes on the new Transit Custom? I've tried with a couple but it will not connect. I'm presuming it's something to do with the configuration files but I do not know where to go to download updated configuration files, can anybody help?
CDPDesign
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby slugmeister » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:18 pm

grogan197 wrote:
ake wrote:Unless you buy a genuine VCM2 for around £2k and pay the annual subscription to Ford for ids, they are all going to be fake.

Yeah I understand that they are essentially all a knock off of the ford vcm2. There seems to be plenty of members with good clones though and I've heard the ones that are made by VXDIAG are good if genuine and likewise the VCM2 clones can be good. Problem is the Chinese copying the copies and losing some functionality along the way.

Before you throw out those VCX Nanos are you aware of the need to program the FEPS voltage? Out of the box it appears the VCX NANO don't provide the 18V FEPS voltage on pin 13, but they can be manually programmed to do so.
I tested that on my VCX NANO and it works, after doing the mod the VCX now provides the correct necessary FEPS voltage but Im too cautious to have a crack at mine yet because I have an unrelated issue with the map on my PCM.
I will be testing a bench programming of an ECU later this week using a donor 1C1AND PCM same as mine with the same map, so I will let you know if it all works...
slugmeister
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby daraioj » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:45 am

slugmeister wrote:
grogan197 wrote:
ake wrote:Unless you buy a genuine VCM2 for around £2k and pay the annual subscription to Ford for ids, they are all going to be fake.

Yeah I understand that they are essentially all a knock off of the ford vcm2. There seems to be plenty of members with good clones though and I've heard the ones that are made by VXDIAG are good if genuine and likewise the VCM2 clones can be good. Problem is the Chinese copying the copies and losing some functionality along the way.

Before you throw out those VCX Nanos are you aware of the need to program the FEPS voltage? Out of the box it appears the VCX NANO don't provide the 18V FEPS voltage on pin 13, but they can be manually programmed to do so.
I tested that on my VCX NANO and it works, after doing the mod the VCX now provides the correct necessary FEPS voltage but Im too cautious to have a crack at mine yet because I have an unrelated issue with the map on my PCM.
I will be testing a bench programming of an ECU later this week using a donor 1C1AND PCM same as mine with the same map, so I will let you know if it all works...
I successfully updated the pcm on an Mk7 with an out-of-the-box vcx nano (the WiFi version running IDs 107 on a VM).
I think the voltage issues is solved by having a battery charger connected and supplying 14v.
2010 2.4L RWD 100ps MT75 LWB High Roof
daraioj
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Previous

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits