*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Dreaded mk6 speedo fault

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: Dreaded mk6 speedo fault

Postby daz1412 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:03 pm

Tacho is powered up and has been since I bought the van. I believe they've stopped near enough the same time as the mileage is very close. I'll check your suggested thread later. Cables and wiring is more my cup of tea than the mechanical side luckily :lol:
daz1412
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby daz1412 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:46 pm

So, definitely fitted aftermarket - a little scpeticle on the cabling. I have only 3 blocks connected. A,b and d. In connector d it's just a cable for speedo signal. Doesn't look like a great job but definitely all plugged up fine. May have to get a multi meter and try check for complete circuits on all cables. The only way I can be sure all cables between speedo and tacho are fine.
daz1412
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby daz1412 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:59 pm

Right - 1 down 1 to go, then I can get on with the welding. Reverse switch was the culprit for the light not working.

Now to nail this speedo problem, it's passed the last 3 mots on the same mileage so this has been screwed for a while. Located the sensor and there is a hell of a lot of oil on it when I removed it. Should this be the case?

Just took a few readings with my multimeter. At the part where it plugs into the sensor I'm getting 3 volts, that's with both the speed and tacho unplugged so I'm going to assume this is coming from the ecu?

On the plugs at the tacho I have approx 14v at the speedo signal wire, also 14 at pins 1, 3, 5 and 6 on plug A. On plug B which says carries the pulse I receive 0v I'm going to assume that's due to the fact I'm not moving. Am I right in saying I could confirm the sensor using a drill or something metal?
daz1412
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby APH » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:06 am

the tacho should have its own speed sensor in the gearbox, sealed with a wire seal to stop you undoing it. he existing speed sensor still feds the ecu, but the loom under the passenger fuse box has a plug that has to be changed (as mentioned already), the dash stops getting its signal from the vans own speed sensor and takes it from the tach instead. If someone has bodged up the tacho install, then that's probably why it dosen't work. You could try finding the loom plug under the fuse box and re link the original linked 2 wires to give the dash its signal from the vans own speed sensor and see if it works.

Andy :D
03 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 LWB HR white panel van
X reg 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 MWB MR Yellow Panel van
56 reg lwb high roof connect, 1.8 tdci 90 t 220

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

this is bunny

copy and paste to help bunny gain world domination
APH
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Really Good Idea » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:53 pm

First post here, I've just bought a hastily converted 2006 Transit 90 T350 that has a fair few issues including the dash issue. Speedo not reading, mileage not going up, and rev counter not working.

Being that I want to fix these things myself and get some experience I thought I'd read up and take the cluster apart myself. I have heard that common issues are the fuses, dirty wiring, or a damp or old board that needs some love or resoldering.

Bearing in mind this is the first vehicle I have ever owned, I went ahead and bought a haynes manual and used Google. I've taken the cluster out, pulled it all apart and given it a good clean. The main board is on the radiator as a few people have said damp can be an issue. I'll quickly plug it straight into the dash tomorrow and report back, if not my plan is contact cleaner sprayed over the board, if that fails then a resolder. I've seen services for £60-100 online for a refurb which may or may not include new soldering and small capacitors e.t.c.

Also gonna check and replace lots of fuses tomorrow and hope for the best. Doors are f*** but ordered a couple of new parts, friend noticed an oil leak to maybe a head gasket or something I need to research more.

Cluster 2.JPG

Cluster 1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Please help me fix up my van into a camper!
Transit 06 90 T350 TDDi - LWB High Top, one green door
Really Good Idea
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby daz1412 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:18 am

Hi, and welcome.

I'm still in the process of tackling this, will be getting the oscilloscope out soon to check if i'm seeing any signal from the 4 cables connected on plug B of my tacho. I'll probably fit a new sensor just to rule that out as it's not all that expensive. I've got a few ideas on mind to try and prove the wiring - thinking of applying a small voltage to the cables one at a time to test for any broken cabling between the tacho and the cluster.

I'm not the most clued up with vehicles but like yourself i'm really wanting to try sort this myself more for the experience and the challenge than anything.

first thing i would do if I was you is to check and clean all the fuses including those behind the glovebox. If you have access to someone who also has a transit try swap the clocks just to rule that out. obviously you want to be minimising the costs as much as possible. That's as best info as I can give you at the moment. do you have a tacho fitted by any chance?
daz1412
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby daz1412 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:43 am

APH wrote:the tacho should have its own speed sensor in the gearbox, sealed with a wire seal to stop you undoing it. he existing speed sensor still feds the ecu, but the loom under the passenger fuse box has a plug that has to be changed (as mentioned already), the dash stops getting its signal from the vans own speed sensor and takes it from the tach instead. If someone has bodged up the tacho install, then that's probably why it dosen't work. You could try finding the loom plug under the fuse box and re link the original linked 2 wires to give the dash its signal from the vans own speed sensor and see if it works.

Andy, only just read this. Will check this out tomorrow :) thank you very much for the info. definitely looks bodged to me.
daz1412
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby daz1412 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:56 pm

Chaps, the cables look like they're going off behind the dash rather than below the fuse box? Can't see any plugs which could possibly be changed over, maybe I'm missing something?

Edit - found thee 2 cables lingering behind a little, could either of these be said cables?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
daz1412
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby APH » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:56 pm

The white and brown are for tacho, there should be a yellow one too somewhere.

This is the jumper plug, it doesn't connect to the tacho wiring and could be anywhere buried inside the loom, or hanging down by the footwell etc. you should have the van half of the plug, but probably wont have the little "jumper" section plugged in, and will have to make something up or join the right wires together (I'll have to check with wiring diagram to work out which ones now :wink: )

EDIT: my photobucket isn't working s no pic, i'll try again shortly sorry

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

this is bunny

APH
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Really Good Idea » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:26 pm

Removal and cleaning didn't work even left on the radiator, neither did a good contact cleaner spray. Looking at the soldering, there are lots of rounded out solder joins for the wire connector and also the two digital displays and I think this may be the problem. Gonna find someone with a soldering iron.

If this doesn't work, how can I test the wiring? I'm getting a multimeter in the next couple of days.

daz1412 wrote:check and clean all the fuses including those behind the glovebox

Checked all the fuses and replaced all the mini and J type fuses with the correct rated. Noticed some of the relays are missing which according to this and the Haynes manual are: -

R5 - Generator cut off
R8 - Bulb check (vehicles without abs)
R9 - Injector Module (mines a TDCi - I think)
R11 - Lift Pump - some TDDi models??
R12 - Engine Cooling fan

Do I need all of these? Should I be checking others and how? Where should I buy these?

daz1412 wrote:do you have a tacho fitted by any chance?

There is an RPM dash, also doesn't work.

Current status is it all powers up, the gas seems to register, but the engine fuel, rpm and MPH don't do a thing, and the mileage stays the same.
Really Good Idea
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby daz1412 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:27 pm

Andy, had her apart today and done abit of investigating I cant see the picture you've uploaded but i'm assuming this is the plug (maybe the other side) that you're referring to? If so, mine had 3 loop cables connected. I'm assuming that's to allow the tacho to work. The green/brown cable which connected to the tacho I managed to trace all the way back to this connector also.

the tacho was definitely all plugged up and powered on so i'm assuming there's a problem other than that.

not sure what cables will need connecting to get the speedo to work though. Any help would be perfect!

For reference that is now my plug. :)
daz1412
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby daz1412 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:30 pm

Really Good Idea wrote:Removal and cleaning didn't work even left on the radiator, neither did a good contact cleaner spray. Looking at the soldering, there are lots of rounded out solder joins for the wire connector and also the two digital displays and I think this may be the problem. Gonna find someone with a soldering iron.

If this doesn't work, how can I test the wiring? I'm getting a multimeter in the next couple of days.

daz1412 wrote:check and clean all the fuses including those behind the glovebox

Checked all the fuses and replaced all the mini and J type fuses with the correct rated. Noticed some of the relays are missing which according to this and the Haynes manual are: -

R5 - Generator cut off
R12 - Engine Cooling fan

Do I need all of these? Should I be checking others and how? Where should I buy these?

daz1412 wrote:do you have a tacho fitted by any chance?

There is an RPM dash, also doesn't work.

Current status is it all powers up, the gas seems to register, but the engine fuel, rpm and MPH don't do a thing, and the mileage stays the same.

So is your temperature gauge working? Without the tacho fitted I doubt you're having the same issue as myself. I'm pretty confident mine is going to be the plug pictures above.
daz1412
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Really Good Idea » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:42 pm

daz1412 wrote:So is your temperature gauge working? Without the tacho fitted I doubt you're having the same issue as myself. I'm pretty confident mine is going to be the plug pictures above.

No, temp gauge isn't, only the diesel level.
Really Good Idea
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby ned » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:47 pm

Really Good Idea wrote:
Noticed some of the relays are missing which according to this and the Haynes book of lies

R5 - Generator cut off
R12 - Engine Cooling fan

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=86251

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=71739
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby APH » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:49 pm

daz1412 wrote:Andy, had her apart today and done abit of investigating I cant see the picture you've uploaded but i'm assuming this is the plug (maybe the other side) that you're referring to? If so, mine had 3 loop cables connected. I'm assuming that's to allow the tacho to work. The green/brown cable which connected to the tacho I managed to trace all the way back to this connector also.

the tacho was definitely all plugged up and powered on so i'm assuming there's a problem other than that.

not sure what cables will need connecting to get the speedo to work though. Any help would be perfect!

For reference that is now my plug. :)

You need yours to look like the one in the picture. Can you post a picture of your vans plug as it is now? you may be able to re organise the wires in the loop side to make it work like the one in the picture you posted

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

this is bunny

APH
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic