*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Checking for PCM updates without IDS (or IDS but no VCM)?

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Checking for PCM updates without IDS (or IDS but no VCM)?

Postby daraioj » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:04 am

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to figure out whether there's any updates available for my mk7 Transit's ECU before I do a pump learn (possible scv issue)

I can get IDS but I haven't got a VCM. I know you can trick ids into thinking PCM is blank and search manually. Do I need a VCM to do that?

I've got a modded ftdi Elm327 and forscan with which I was planning on loading the updates.

I would very much appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.
daraioj
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Checking for PCM updates without IDS (or IDS but no VCM)

Postby grogan197 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:47 pm

I'm fairly sure that FORScan isn't yet capable of doing ECU updates so you would either need to go to someone with IDS and a compatible scanner or buy one yourself to do the update (if available)
2006 MK6 2.0 125 TDCI - Luton Camper Conversion
2007 MK7 2.2 110 TDCI SWB

Ford Diagnostics
Where to buy an ELM327 and how to use with ForScan
grogan197
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby daraioj » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:35 am

Oh, I thought it could. I must have got it wrong.
In any case, is there any way to find out whether or not an update is needed/available? I went to a local Ford garage yesterday and they said they do any updates unless there's a fault...

Thanks again
daraioj
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby daraioj » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:01 am

daraioj wrote:I went to a local Ford garage yesterday and they said they do any updates unless there's a fault...

I meant they won't do...
daraioj
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby grogan197 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:14 pm

I'm not sure how far you can get on IDS without having the VCM attached. You may be able to get the calibration filename from IDS if you select your vehicle by entering the tear tag / calibration number from the sticker in the passenger door. IDS will then ask you to confirm if the vehicle details it brings up are correct. After this go to module programming and reprogram PCM. I'm not sure how far it will let you get at this stage but it's here it has told me about software updates. If there is a update from the calibration number entered it will give you the filename here.

If you get this far ten you'll need to find out if your calibration file has been updated. I think when FORScan connects to the PCM it logs the calibration number. I assume this is the current calibration used by the PCM rather than the calibration it came with which is in the passenger door. So you'd need to compare this against the one from IDS. Other users may be able to offer more help and the above may not work but it's how i'd go about it if I was trying to do so without a vcm
2006 MK6 2.0 125 TDCI - Luton Camper Conversion
2007 MK7 2.2 110 TDCI SWB

Ford Diagnostics
Where to buy an ELM327 and how to use with ForScan
grogan197
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Punto443 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:18 pm

Where far art thou?

Perhaps there's someone local that can help?
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Postby daraioj » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:52 pm

Thanks a lot Grogan! Yeah, I've got the calibration number from Forscan, I guess I'll try installing IDS to find out how far it'll let me go without the VCM. Hopefully it'll let me know if there's anything available.

Hey Punto, I'm in Spain at the minute and I don't think there's many spaniards in this forum. So unless one of you lads decided to bring your laptop and adapters for a little holiday then I'm out of luck. I'll have to go find out which of the local garages will F¥€# me more gently.
daraioj
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits