*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Droning / Sawing Noise

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Droning / Sawing Noise

Postby jamesfh » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:31 pm

Anyone have a clue as to what the loud droning/sawing/rubbing noise is which is similar to a wheel bearing going bad. Obviously apparent under acceleration and quieter but still audible when coasting, sounds like its coming from a central location but unsure about this. Front wheel bearings done, prop carrier bearings done and diff oil changed??. It gets louder/faster when speeding up and quietens down when dipping clutch or coasting but not entirely. Van is 2008 RWD 2.4 115HP. 190k km
jamesfh

Re: Droning / Sawing Noise

Postby 4door4 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:12 am

Any chance of recording it and putting it on youtube soundcloud etc? A lot of possibilities based on description alone.
4door4
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby andz327 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:53 am

jamesfh wrote:Anyone have a clue as to what the loud droning/sawing/rubbing noise is which is similar to a wheel bearing going bad. Obviously apparent under acceleration and quieter but still audible when coasting, sounds like its coming from a central location but unsure about this. Front wheel bearings done, prop carrier bearings done and diff oil changed??. It gets louder/faster when speeding up and quietens down when dipping clutch or coasting but not entirely. Van is 2008 RWD 2.4 115HP. 190k km
If it goes away when clutch is pressed and is a sort of fooked wheel bearing sort of noise then it's pointing to the gearbox
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby jamesfh » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:58 am

Cheers lads, was suspecting gearbox myself only sometimes when coasting in neutral there is still a rumbling just not as loud or rhythmic as the droning when accelerating. Tried to record it but couldn't hear it, I'll try again as it's getting progressively worse.
jamesfh

Postby Beaker » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:56 am

Have you checked to see if you have an old Jesus And Mary Chain CD stuck in the stereo? :shock:
2011 SWB medium roof 2.2l Mk7 115 T300 in Frozen White. Stealth Camper converted.

"It's better to burn out, 'cause rust never sleeps..."
Beaker
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mnxtrany » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:55 pm

The noise in the cab was like a dry bearing or a kind of hiss like steam coming from a cooker relief vv.
The noise seemed more on the lhs; when the wheel was turned it stuck, back and forth released it. I removed the wheel - which was rusted on - found rust on the discs outside of the shinny area, more so on the inner the pad of which was more worn on the out side of the wear area (rust).
Took the caliper off and cleaned of the rust as best could. Made sure the pads could move. Filed off the rust on the piston perimeters. All back together and the disc revolved easily pressed the brake pedal, released it and the disc was difficult to turn. The noise was lessened but the next day was just as loud. So it's the flexi hose next see if it has inwardly deteriorated acting like a one way vv.
The noise starts at around 20 mph, pressing the brake pedal makes no difference to the noise but as the vehicle slows the noise reduces in volume.

There is another intermittent noise from the rhs which is like a tape measure, safety belt retracting or the door latch operating. The noise like a rasp, like gravel coming off the tyre hitting under the wheel arch, like a branch rubbing along the body or on the ground, like thin loose plastic slapping on the body. The noise lasts a second. Sometimes the noise seems to be behind the consul or just in front of my R knee and at times from behind me or from the rear of the door. Does anyone know what it could be?
Ford Transit, 3.5, Mk6, 2.4 (90PS) 88.76 HP 66.19 KW Duratorq DI diesel, 2000 Luton back, Tail lift, MWB, DRWD.
mnxtrany
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby andz327 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:43 pm

mnxtrany wrote:The noise in the cab was like a dry bearing or a kind of hiss like steam coming from a cooker relief vv.
The noise seemed more on the lhs; when the wheel was turned it stuck, back and forth released it. I removed the wheel - which was rusted on - found rust on the discs outside of the shinny area, more so on the inner the pad of which was more worn on the out side of the wear area (rust).
Took the caliper off and cleaned of the rust as best could. Made sure the pads could move. Filed off the rust on the piston perimeters. All back together and the disc revolved easily pressed the brake pedal, released it and the disc was difficult to turn. The noise was lessened but the next day was just as loud. So it's the flexi hose next see if it has inwardly deteriorated acting like a one way vv.
The noise starts at around 20 mph, pressing the brake pedal makes no difference to the noise but as the vehicle slows the noise reduces in volume.

There is another intermittent noise from the rhs which is like a tape measure, safety belt retracting or the door latch operating. The noise like a rasp, like gravel coming off the tyre hitting under the wheel arch, like a branch rubbing along the body or on the ground, like thin loose plastic slapping on the body. The noise lasts a second. Sometimes the noise seems to be behind the consul or just in front of my R knee and at times from behind me or from the rear of the door. Does anyone know what it could be?
First noise sounds like a wheelbearing , faster you go the noisier it get or noise lessens turning one way and gets louder the other way is usually wheelbearing problem
Your other noise sounds like a gremlin bastardo taking the p!ss
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby mnxtrany » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:25 pm

Thanks for the reply. Checked the dry noise on Saturday with a passenger listening the noise comes from the front lhs - full lock turns did not alter the noise.
Today found the rasping noise is coming from the rhs speaker.
I have opened separate posts for the above noises as they do not seem related to the OP of this subject - Droning/ sawing noise.
I apologise if I seem to have butted in on the OP.
Ford Transit, 3.5, Mk6, 2.4 (90PS) 88.76 HP 66.19 KW Duratorq DI diesel, 2000 Luton back, Tail lift, MWB, DRWD.
mnxtrany
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby jamesfh » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:33 am

Turned out to be the Diff bearings.
jamesfh

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits