*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Oil change question

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Oil change question

Postby Steve192 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:11 pm

I recently changed the oil in my mk7 2.2 euro 5 van and I searched and searched and found that the capacity was apparently 6.4l when you change the filter too so I used 6.4l of shell 5w30 oil. It matches fords specifications.

However, it’s been 3 weeks since I done the change and it’s sounding like a bag of nails. I’ve checked the dipstick from cold on level ground and it’s showing up on just above the first notch of 4 notches.

I’ve since read that some people have put 10l in there vans.

Have I misread something somewhere?
Steve192
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Oil change question

Postby knobby1 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:31 pm

There was an "option" for a large capacity sump, but I think it's was for RWD only, (not sure :oops:).

Easiest thing to do is fill with enough oil to bring it to the top mark on the dipstick, job done. It's really not that difficult. If the oil is between the bottom and top marks, you should be ok.

Re: The "bag of nails" sounds, have you had the codes read?? Have a check of the injector clamps to make sure they're snug, sometimes they come loose and cause a similar noise.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits