*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2007 Transit MK7 2.4 TDCI 140 RWD weird engine knocking

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

2007 Transit MK7 2.4 TDCI 140 RWD weird engine knocking

Postby myrebuilder » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:18 pm

As I was coming back from work last night, the middle silencer fell, fortunately I was just off a traffic light and I was going slow. I pulled to the side and the silencer had broken off at the side where it bolts to the cat. The short piece of pipe was still bolted on the cay end pipe so I just removed the rubber hangers and put the silencer at the back of the van. I drove home with a little more noise and hearing the turbo whistle after changing gears bu something weird also appeared. A strange knocking sound, becoming more rapid with acceleration. It was coming and going till I got home. I reved it on idle and that rat-rat knocking was following the RPMs. It sounded like valve tap but I could hear it more like coming off the broken end of the exhaust pipe. Then it stopped and it was like it was never there. I ordered a new Ford middle silencer online last night. When I took off for work this morning I was getting this knocking sound sometimes more some times less and this evening when I was driving back it was there almost all the time. The higher the RPMs the faster the rattatat. Sometimes would be loud even on idle.
If it hadnt happened right after the silencer falling off I would think that it would be a timing chain or valve lifters or rod even. I was also thinking maybe some sort of a sensor would knock like that?? I have no idea but this van is my building tools van and I cant work without it. So any one of you that have vast experience with the MK7 engines PLEASE give me a clue of what could it be and what may happen if I drive it like that for a bit. See I have not found any garage with descent transit knowledge in Coventry to trust yet, so I m trying to sort things out myself.
Your help will be much appreciated.
myrebuilder
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: 2007 Transit MK7 2.4 TDCI 140 RWD weird engine knocking

Postby knobby1 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:43 pm

Might just be a coincidence and unrelated to the exhaust... but have a look at the injector clamps/bolts, they can come loose and give a similar noise. DTC light on..?? Have you had the codes read..?

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby myrebuilder » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:53 am

Have had the engine management light on for a while and codes show MAF sensor fault which could be an EGR issue as you had suggested on another post, but no knocking and the engine run nice and with proper power. I didnt have the chance to change the EGR yet due to work.
I ll check the injector clamps this morning and I ll take the van to read the codes. I ll come back later on this evening after work.
Thanks so much for your help.
myrebuilder
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby myrebuilder » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:46 am

Well, it was a coincidence... I was driving to the garage to have it checked and read codes this morning after checking the injector clamps which were tight and I was a mile away when the engine seized!!! I had the recovery truck take it to the garage where they told me that the oil pump gave up more than likely. It managed to start it since it was cold but it knocks and grinds horribly.
Now I wander...shouldn't a low oil pressure light come on days ago? In any case I looked on ebay and there is a company in Birmingham who fits a rebuilt engine (they list that they use only genuine parts) for £1195.00 with 6 months/unlimited miles warranty plus £60 to collect the van from Coventry (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122750411102).
What is your expert opinion Lord Knobrot?
myrebuilder
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Graham1967 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:42 am

Hi,

Be careful off ebay.

He has no feedback for engine recon.

It is all what he has purchased.

Also his company doesn't come up on google.

Remember a fool and his money are soon parted.
Graham1967
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby myrebuilder » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:07 am

You are a star mate...I have the bad habit to trust people easily. I saw his 100% positive feedback and never checked if it was sales or purchases.
I looked through yell.com and he has 4 really bad feedbacks...not even a fair one everyone said AVOID.
I have now canceled my request to pick up my van and I have it recovered to my home tomorrow.
I am on a big dilemma though...who to trust so supply or supply and fit a good used or an honestly good refurbished engine?
I ve been so messed-up by several garages round here that I can trust nobody.
myrebuilder
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Graham1967 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:59 pm

Hi,

The only engine I'd trust off ebay is from TPUK. He wants 1800, but at least you know what you are getting.

I've bought many parts off him appear to be good value.

You then need to find someone to fit it and that's the problem.

The problem with a lot of garages is they pay peanuts so get monkeys. Even the main stealers, its a lottery. I'm the same I no longer trust local garages. All work I try and do myself.

The place I know with good feedback is Ellesmere Port Engine Centre.

Hope this helps

Graham
Graham1967
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby karl » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:13 pm

Graham1967 wrote:Hi,

The only engine I'd trust off ebay is from TPUK. He wants 1800, but at least you know what you are getting.

I've bought many parts off him appear to be good value.

You then need to find someone to fit it and that's the problem.

The problem with a lot of garages is they pay peanuts so get monkeys. Even the main stealers, its a lottery. I'm the same I no longer trust local garages. All work I try and do myself.

The place I know with good feedback is Ellesmere Port Engine Centre.

Hope this helps

Graham

arnt tpuk second hand engines with low mileage apparently
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby karl » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:22 pm

myrebuilder wrote:Well, it was a coincidence... I was driving to the garage to have it checked and read codes this morning after checking the injector clamps which were tight and I was a mile away when the engine seized!!! I had the recovery truck take it to the garage where they told me that the oil pump gave up more than likely. It managed to start it since it was cold but it knocks and grinds horribly.
Now I wander...shouldn't a low oil pressure light come on days ago? In any case I looked on ebay and there is a company in Birmingham who fits a rebuilt engine (they list that they use only genuine parts) for £1195.00 with 6 months/unlimited miles warranty plus £60 to collect the van from Coventry (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122750411102).
What is your expert opinion Lord Knobrot?

Hi their

for the price of £1195.00 is very cheap for a recon engine, and you only get 6 months warranty and the reason being is probley using old parts that seem ok at the time of inspection :(

I rebuild these and send them to other countries and only use new parts rebuilding them and i give 12months warranty as the parts i use from my suppliers can give me and unlimited mileage

send me a pm or phone me 07411 048483 :D

Their is terms and conditions thow , injectors tested ,prv and scv changed ,and all updates done :D once engine is running
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits