*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

indicator fault finding

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

indicator fault finding

Postby iank » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:17 am

Hello All,

My mk6 vj 2005 transit has developed a strange fault described below.

I have a generic haynes manual (only helpful to a point). for indicators The manual lists an auxillary fuse panel with 2 relays ar12 and ar14 one for r and l indicators. Ive yet to find this aux fuse box. If anyone can tell me where it is please advise.

The fault is,

left and right Indicators work normally until,

you turn the parkers on main lights on,
The left ind still works ok, but the right indicator lights are permanently on as well as the right dash indicator?

Any advise appreciated
Ian
iank
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: indicator fault finding

Postby knobby1 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:00 am

Sounds like a poor ground/earth....check behind the rear light clusters, the connectors corrode badly and cause all sorts of electrical gremlins.

Not sure about the Mk6 but the Mk7 has the first fuse box in the engine bay, second & third fuse boxes are behind the glove box, one behind the other, it has clips (at the top sides) and will swing down.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby iank » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:22 am

Thanks Lord Knobrot,

I will start looking at the rear indicator earths, being a transit tray are more exposed to external I guess.

Re the fuse panel, I looked under the passenger tray. There are 2 fuse panels there but not the fuse panel for the indicator relays.

Ian
iank
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby iank » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:03 am

I'm beginning to doubt my generic haynes manual. With the indicators both working (ie parkers switched off) there is one relay (hanging loose) under the dash. It provides the click so I dont think its as per the diagram (if anyone can help with a copy from the genuine manual it would be great.

checked the common earth at the rear and ok to chassis. Trying to find the common earth for the side indicator globe and the front indicator now. :cry:
iank
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby iank » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:40 am

Searching through previous threads it appears to have a box under the coolant bottle so hoping this is the aux fuse box,
Ive loosened off the coolant bottle but its really tight down there.
Can anyone please tell me how to remove its cover without destroying it?
iank
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby iank » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:52 pm

Fault turned out to be a short in the rear wiring (passenger side) loom near the chassis.

The Haynes manual was correct the schematic showed the auxillary fuse box. It doesnt however show a photo of it or say where it is located.
As per other posts it is located directly under the coolant filler bottle. Its a real pain to get to.
Its cover is removed using a small flat blade screwdriver pressing dow fron the top to release the cover.

regards
iank
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits