*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Engine cutting out/ Seized

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Engine cutting out/ Seized

Postby rckape » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:46 pm

Hi,
I have a 2007 Mk7, 2.2 TDCi MWB with around 130k on the clock. I've put the last 10k on myself over 12 months.

I have noticed over the last couple of days a rattling kind of noise which got louder on acceleration. I obviously checked on here and the most popular answer was a loose injector or two. I've just taken the air filter box off to have a look, I started the engine and it ticked over OK and I couldn't hear the tapping. I revved it up to replicate the sound and it came back straight away (sounding like it came from the nearside) but before I could check anything out the engine cut out and although the engine turns over a little when I turn the key it will not fire and cut out. I only tried this once more (total of twice after the initial cut out) for fear of doing further damage. There has been no smoke from the back at all (other than the usual puff on starting up in the morning) over the last week or today.

The battery and starter are fine. I had the oil changed at a garage in July, but it is now thick and black - much worse than I'd expect after a few months average use and at the bottom end of the OK marks on the dipstick.

In May I had the EGR seize up on me requiring recovery. I changed this myself and it has been operating ok since - The EM light is still on on the dash and no matter how many times I clear it it always comes back after a five minute drive or idle. I have read somewhere that it probably needs to go back to Ford to have the software updated.

I believe the clutch and possibly the DMF is getting ready for changing, I can feel a vibration in the clutch pedal even without putting any pressure on it. Could it be the clutch or DMF disintegrating and choking up causing the stall?
rckape
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Engine cutting out/ Seized

Postby karl » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:52 pm

yes
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby rckape » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:06 pm

Thanks for the speedy reply Karl. Do you think that its most likely the clutch/DMF or is there something else that could cause it? I'd hate to go to the expense and effort of changing the DMF if it's something like the timing chain or a knackered oil pump.
rckape
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby karl » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:12 pm

i really would get it plugged in to diagnostics mate

if their is no fault codes for anything then it could be engine failer :(

poor starting can cause loads of problems from egr, faulty injectors , scv,prv, no updates done etc

list goes on and on mate
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby rckape » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:36 pm

I've plugged it into my DIY grade machine and it's only throwing up the same old EGR codes it has since i replaced it. I'll see if i can get someone out with a better reader as it's stuck on my drive now.
rckape
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby karl » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:44 pm

rckape wrote:I've plugged it into my DIY grade machine and it's only throwing up the same old EGR codes it has since i replaced it. I'll see if i can get someone out with a better reader as it's stuck on my drive now.

mrk 7

if so un bolt the silver pipe from the in let manifold and see how you go it should start :D
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby rckape » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:15 pm

If i'm looking at the right silver pipe (leading from the EGR Valve to the inlet manifod) then it's a bugger to get at without making a bit of space. I've disconnected it at the EGR end though and tried to start again. It's still doing the same thing, clunking and lurching about on the starter motor for a second or so before I lose my bottle and cut it.

Every other time I've had EGR issues, I've had some smoke from the exhaust and a gradual loss of power. It's been running fine recently apart from the tapping noise and vibration in the clutch pedal.
rckape
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby karl » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:31 pm

NO

the 2 8mm bolts that connect to the black manifold unloosen them

so the engine can breathe

because if the egr has failed stuck open it will let the engine breathe as it should and not getting compression gas from the engine
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby rckape » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:01 pm

Still no joy mate. I've taken the pipe off entirely and still not starting. It's making quite a loud metallic clunking now when it's turning over on the starter. I think I'll have to get someone out who knows a bit more than I do, i'm a bit out of my depth now.
rckape
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby karl » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:45 pm

some one here may be help you

where are you mate :D in this big world
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby rckape » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:54 pm

I'm in Nottingham - just off J26 close to Ikea. I'm a plumber and happy to do a bit of time-for-time if anyone can help.
rckape
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby rckape » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:47 pm

Just as an update: I took the rocker cover off today because I had nothing better to do. It all looks fine and as it should.
rckape
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby rckape » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:35 pm

Just as an update in case anyone has similar in the future:
The problem I had was a snapped crankshaft caused by a failed DMF.
rckape
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby the dutch guy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:35 am

holy sh...

:shock:
Mk6 SWB TDCI 125
the dutch guy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Brains_transit » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:05 am

rckape wrote:Just as an update in case anyone has similar in the future:
The problem I had was a snapped crankshaft caused by a failed DMF.

I replaced a dmf once and it was rattling about when you grabbed it with your hand and moved it side to side, I'm surprised it didn't do any damage similar to yours
Brains_transit
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits