*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Push rods?!

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Push rods?!

Postby travis_transit » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:03 am

Hi there,

My 2002 2.4L diesel FT made a strange "tut tut tut tut" metal sound very randomly going down a hill. I pulled over, opened bonnet while running, and it was definitely louder underneath than above engine. I wanted to nurse it back the last few blocks home, and put in reverse and noise went away immediately. Then drove home and sound didn't return. This sounded severe though when it did happen, so I can't just ignore obviously. I've been told it may be my valve push rods, and was asked if they are hydraulic, which I don't know. So firstly - are the push rods for my van hydraulic? If so, then possibly an overdue oil change and new filter should do the trick (here is to hoping!).

Secondly, is it ok to drive my van for the next 2 days if the noise has gone away (I know a stupid question, since you can't diagnose without more info, but a general question really), or am I causing more damage? I can really only do an oil change in 2 days.

Thanks in advance!

Travis
travis_transit

Re: Push rods?!

Postby ake » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:29 am

There are no push rods, it’s an overhead cam engine.

There are however hydraulic lifters between the valves and cam, but they wouldn’t suddenly become noisey midway through a drive then get quiet again.

If the vehicle is seriously overdue an oil change, you will already have done damage, more so if the oil level is lower than it should be.
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby travis_transit » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:57 am

Hi ake,

Cheers for such a quick response, much appreciated!

I did have a full service 7 months ago, and even though I should have gone in last month for a small service, I'm only about 250km over when the mechanic said I should bring it in. I'm trying to do far more things myself, so was planning on doing the service in a couple of weeks. So it's not seriously overdue, but I definitely need to get it sorted asap.

Are there any ideas on what else it could possibly be? It's just so strange that it went away after changing gears, and then not returning...
travis_transit

Postby travis_transit » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:59 am

Any thoughts please?
travis_transit

Postby Altransit » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:46 am

:idea: Dual mass flywheel breaking up :?: :?
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Jim Archer » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:34 am

Loose injector?

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby knobby1 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:31 pm

Jim Archer wrote:Loose injector? Jim

Possible but unlikely on a TDDi...I'd be looking at/suspecting the DMF, (if fitted),.....or possibly a duff timing solenoid...??

I doubt very much being 250km over the service interval will be the issue, that's nothing...have seen people go years without servicing their machine without major problems. A full service 7 months ago is fine. Most do it yearly-ish. As long as the oil level is good you should be fine in that department.

Any flashing glow plug lights?? Have you had the codes read..??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby travis_transit » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:59 am

Thanks to you all for the replies! Much appreciated!

Will do research on all suggestions.

I have no glow plug connection, as I had it disconnected a number of months ago due to an issue with it.

I've just decided to take it into the mechanic on Friday. My van is needed for my business so I can't wait any longer. Hopefully they pick up the problem. He is a decent mechanic, so I'm hopeful. Just concerned it doesn't show any more signs and then he thinks its all good to go, and then on my next job it breaks down.

Will keep you posted.
travis_transit

Postby Jim Archer » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:56 pm

The 'Glow Plug' light is the EML warning on these.

Does it come on and go out at ignition on? or stay on for a few seconds after starting? Or flash at any time?

Jim
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby travis_transit » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:08 am

Hi Jim,

The glow plugs have been disconnected.

So the mechanic said the noise was a thrust bearing. Got them to give it a small service, and then took a chance to see how long I could go with my van suffering from clutch problems. It broke down 2 days ago. I'm taking it in to get a new clutch in 2 weeks when I have the money. Obviously not ideal as I also need to get the starter fixed (making a metal scraping sound when I start it) as well, and all this will cost me an arm and a leg. On top of all this my van smokes black smoke a lot, and will get him to check the fuel injectors, as everything else I have tried has not worked. Everyone may be wondering why I don't just get it scraped and buy something else, but the van is generally a good van. It's 15 years old, so of course it will have some issues, but really looking forward to getting it back and ready for the road!

If any ideas on the starter or black smoke, please let me know. Otherwise - next time you hear from me I'll update on the condition of everything once it's back from the mechanic.

Cheers
travis_transit

Postby Jim Archer » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:13 am

Regardless of the glowplugs being disconnected, the engine check light is still the engine check light.

Starter making nasty noises is quite likely to be it full of failing DMF. Sometimes you can clean the swarf out before it does too much damage.

Jim
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby travis_transit » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:37 pm

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the response, my van is going in next week Monday and getting the new clutch done. Asked the mechanic to replace the starter, but will ask him about the DMF, so cheers for that idea.
travis_transit

Postby knobby1 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:59 pm

travis_transit wrote:Hi Jim,

Thanks for the response, my van is going in next week Monday and getting the new clutch done. Asked the mechanic to replace the starter, but will ask him about the DMF, so cheers for that idea.

DMF & clutch would normally be replaced as a set, silly not to if the DMF is a bit on the rattly side. Good call the replace the starter whilst he's at it... :mrgreen:

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits