*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Rear lights (inside) LED conversion

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: Rear lights (inside) LED conversion

Postby the dutch guy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:34 pm

if it still gives you problems you can put a diode on the positive side and a cap behind i (so: diode>cap>SCR) t, that will buffer the power the SCR needs and keeps enabled for seconds or even minutes depending on the size of the cap.
Mk6 SWB TDCI 125
the dutch guy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Rear lights (inside) LED conversion

Postby maccmowers » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:32 am

I was thinking about the relays and what you said, so I thought I'd just try another relay before getting into any serious electronics. So I ordered a standard 5 pin relay from my local factors, fitted it and it was exactly the same, but the relay didn't make a sound. It works, but no vibration or anything.

So I got the multimeter out and started testing what was coming from where. It turns out the positive side is battery live! It's the earth that gives the slow increase/decrease!

The earth when the lights are off has a solid 12v, and as the lights are switched on the voltage slowly decreases to 0.3v.

So I think I'm correct in thinking I now have to wire a relay with the switch wire as the negative from the BCM and make a separate earth for the LEDS. But would it need a diode with the BCM being on the negative side?
07 2.4 TDCI RWD MWB SHR
maccmowers
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Previous

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits