*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Drum over hub Mk 6 200 2.4 Rear lhs

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Drum over hub Mk 6 200 2.4 Rear lhs

Postby mnxtrany » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:45 pm

Rear lhs drum over hub.
This side had less rust than the rhs. The drum was rusted on. There was no lip on the drum the adjuster arm was not old. Removed drum by tapping it all over then with a drift hitting it from inside the vehicle on the rim of the drum where there was a lot of rust. Eventually it moved and eventually it come off the shoes. Luckily there was no lip on the drum. I had tried to move the adjuster toothed wheel: 1, I could not see it. 2, I could not feel it. 3, I was not sure which way to move it. The toothed wheel was about ½” away from the barrel. I could not at first move the toothed wheel with the drum off – later it moved easily.
Removed the two side springs – moved both shoes up – removed the bottom spring – lifted up the leading shoe and removed the top spring, adjuster and arm.
Found the handbrake cable arm was seized. The shoes looked good. The drum looked good.
Cleaned the drum and backplate – greased as necessary.
Reassembly: with the trailing shoe in near enough its position resting on a 10” high wood block put the top spring in that shoe – with the leading shoe held higher put the top spring on the arm then put in the adjuster and lowered (pivoted down) the leading shoe – with the shoes either side of the hub – behind the hub – put in the bottom spring leading shoe end in first – put the shoes into the bottom retainer and moved the shoes down then put the shoes into the slave – fitted the two side springs = very difficult.
Before doing the rhs the handbrake went up several notches. After doing the rhs the handbrake went up 2 or 3 notches. After doing the lhs the handbrake was difficult to get up 1 notch. The rhs brake was not working with the handbrake on. The lhs was working with the handbrake on.
It seems that the auto adjuster was not working on both sides. It is odd how the lhs was working with the handbrake on whilst the handbrake cable arm was seized to the trailing shoe. Perhaps it only moved the leading shoe.

The rhs slave was seized on one piston the seized piston dust cover had rust on the inside of it, the other dust cover had oil on the inside of it.
The lhs slave had one piston out and the other in, the trailing shoe piston was in. I did not check if they moved both slave dust covers had oil behind them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ford Transit, 3.5, Mk6, 2.4 (90PS) 88.76 HP 66.19 KW Duratorq DI diesel, 2000 Luton back, Tail lift, MWB, DRWD.
mnxtrany
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits