*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit takes longer to start after the first startup

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Transit takes longer to start after the first startup

Postby chrismaher » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:04 pm

Hi and thanks for any help I receive

my Transit takes longer to start after the first time it will start up no problem in the morning but I’ll drive round the block or some thing then if I turn it off of it takes longer then expecting to start back up only about say 5 or 6 Seconds only don’t won’t this problem to get worse I no it’s a long shot with the amount of info but just thought I would give it a go and see

the van dos drive good it’s had a new dpf fitted just when I got it but had this starting issue b4 the new dpf was fitted to I read something about maybe one of the glow plugs but not sure

once I leave then van overnight it starts up no problem at all

it a jumbo 2012
chrismaher
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Transit takes longer to start after the first startup

Postby brianc » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:19 pm

Hi,
Mine starts first time when stone cold and is very difficult to start after even a short run. The best method for me is to is to use this method.
When cold (foot off throttle) crank over as soon as it fires hold just a little throttle say about 1200 rpm for about 20- 30 seconds and then it will tick over, or just drive off as soon as it starts.
When the engine is warm it wont start with that method. What I found best was to put throttle fully down to floor then crank over, as soon as it starts release throttle before the revs increase to much.
Hope that helps.
brianc
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby chrismaher » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:47 am

Thanks for that that sounds about right coz like you say put the foot to the floor then it will start up just takes longer then when it’s cold how long have you had the problem and have you any idea what it might be thanks again
chrismaher
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby brianc » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:23 am

Was like that when I bought it, Had it 2 years still the same . Doesn't bother me now I have a method to start that works ok. but I always keep the battery in good condition.
brianc
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby brianc » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:39 am

Hi Again,
Reading other cars with similar faults seems to suggest a Temperature sensor issue, ECU thinks the engine is cold and over fuels. this would make sense as I get a lot of smoke when starting Hot. Putting Throttle to the floor is what you normally do when you flood a petrol engine to clear out the excess fuel. It all sounds very similar. My temp gauge reads/works OK but there might be a separate sensor that tells the ECU the engine temp.Hope this helps
brianc
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits