*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk6 rough idle and stalls when warm

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk6 rough idle and stalls when warm

Postby Scoore » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:39 am

Hi guys!

I have dealt with a problem with my newly bought 2004 transit with the 2.0 tdci engine.

The deal is, it starts fint when cold. Rough idle but can be driven.

However,when it reaches it working temperature it stalls whenever.
I get the glowplug? light flashing, and restarts thr engine and it runs fine until I try to accelerate.

I have tried to read error codes with 2 different obd2 readers and found nothing!

I pulled the egr valve apart today and it was seized. Blocked it off and the vacuum hose for it but no difference was made.

I also disconnected the MAF to make sure it wasnt the issue at hand. The car didnt stall when it was disconnected and gave no error code. Is this normal? Or does it show faulty codes when its being driven without it connected?

Im about to get my Ford dealer to look at it at the cost of approx ~£150/hour.. I really want to look as much as I can before that to hopefully make it run again without letting them swallow my wallet whole.

Do you guys have any ideas?
Scoore

Re: Mk6 rough idle and stalls when warm

Postby knobby1 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:15 pm

Scoore wrote:Hi guys!

I have dealt with a problem with my newly bought 2004 transit with the 2.0 tdci engine.

The deal is, it starts fint when cold. Rough idle but can be driven.

However,when it reaches it working temperature it stalls whenever.
I get the glowplug? light flashing, and restarts thr engine and it runs fine until I try to accelerate.

I have tried to read error codes with 2 different obd2 readers and found nothing!

I pulled the egr valve apart today and it was seized. Blocked it off and the vacuum hose for it but no difference was made.

I also disconnected the MAF to make sure it wasnt the issue at hand. The car didnt stall when it was disconnected and gave no error code. Is this normal? Or does it show faulty codes when its being driven without it connected?

Im about to get my Ford dealer to look at it at the cost of approx ~£150/hour.. I really want to look as much as I can before that to hopefully make it run again without letting them swallow my wallet whole.

Do you guys have any ideas?

OK...Firstly...welcome to the forum..! ...And, the Mk6 TDCi is the devils work... :evil: They can be troublesome if not sorted properly.

Second...Mk6 Transits are "NOT" OBD2 compliant, so no amount of trying will get an OBD-2 reader to work...You'll need Ford IDS or Forscan.

Once you get the codes read, let us know and we can go from there.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Scoore » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:21 pm

Thank you for the welcome!

Alrighty, I have the codes..

P0251
P1211

and when I search it can be aloooot of different things..

I have checked what a new pump would cost and it was expensive.. I also checked for injectors and they also were pricy.

Can I use other injectors than the 2.0 TDCI injectors or am I forced to use the 2.0 ones ?
Scoore

Postby knobby1 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:29 pm

Scoore wrote:Thank you for the welcome!

Alrighty, I have the codes..

P0251
P1211

and when I search it can be aloooot of different things..

I have checked what a new pump would cost and it was expensive.. I also checked for injectors and they also were pricy.

Can I use other injectors than the 2.0 TDCI injectors or am I forced to use the 2.0 ones ?

As far as I'm aware, the 2.0L TDCi injectors are different to the 2.4 TDCi injectors...They're a different part number at least.

http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... I3Mg%3D%3D

Not sure but I think some of the early Modeo TDCi injectors "may" be compatible, some of the other chaps would know better than I..

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ned » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:42 pm

Go to PF Jones,
Reman pump £300, reman injectors £120 each, £780 in total plus I think you get £170 back for your old pump and injectors, so technically a pump and 4X injectors would cost £610, that's not to bad considering.

Don't bother buying used mondeo injectors of ebay there probably knackered as well plus depending on the injectors in you van they have shorter nozzles.

Mk6 tdci always wants injectors and or pump.

Where in this big bad world are you. N
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ned » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:46 pm

P0251 Injection Pump Fuel Metering Control A Malfunction
P1211 Injector Control Pressure Sensor Above / Below Desired

ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Scoore » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:29 pm

ned wrote:Go to PF Jones,
Reman pump £300, reman injectors £120 each, £780 in total plus I think you get £170 back for your old pump and injectors, so technically a pump and 4X injectors would cost £610, that's not to bad considering.

Don't bother buying used mondeo injectors of ebay there probably knackered as well plus depending on the injectors in you van they have shorter nozzles.

Mk6 tdci always wants injectors and or pump.

Where in this big bad world are you. N

No idea who PF jones is :)

Alright.. This sucks,but Im not giving up on this yet,as I got this van for a pack of cinnamon rolls :P

Im located in Sweden.
Scoore

Postby ned » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:45 pm

Ah Sweden so not just down the road then :lol: The mk6 tdci is a great van when its working correctly :D and for the price of some cinnamon rolls its a bargain, what year is your van?

PF Jones are a parts supplier (and fitter) based in Manchester England and a forum member.
Here's a couple of links to reconditioned and new injectors,
https://www.pfjones.co.uk/ford-transit- ... 1001d.html
https://www.pfjones.co.uk/ford-transit- ... 1001d.html
Check out their website http://www.pfjones.co.uk N

ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits