*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

scraping sound when driving

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

scraping sound when driving

Postby markbinding » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:37 pm

Hi I have a 2008 transit lwb rwd 6 speed and I have a scraping sound whilst driving. first of all I thought it was the front left wheel bearing so I changed both front ones incase but also changed the discs and pads as I had to smash the discs off. the noise was still there so then I assumed it must be the prop shaft bearing so I changed both of them also but that still didn't solve the problem so this week I have changed the rear wheel bearings and discs and pads, lower arms, track rod ends, anti roll bar links, and also a new dual mass fly wheel and clutch as they all needed doing anyway . has anyone got any idea what this scraping sound could be as I am pulling my hair out and my wallet is getting very thin..
markbinding

Re: scraping sound when driving

Postby ned » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:56 pm

If you can link a video of the sound someone maybe able to help. N
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Re: scraping sound when driving

Postby mnxtrany » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:02 am

As Ned suggested.
Found on mine that the rear handbrake cable was rubbing on the inner wheel rim.
Have found on other occassions that the disc gaurd - rusted and bent over - to the disc, sometimes only touches when moving as the wind blows it over.
Clutch release bearing. Alternator. Water pump. Serpentine belt. Cab moving on chasis, cab mounts. Rusted section(s) cab to chasis. Chasis rusted areas moving. Engine/gearbox mounts not good engine/gearbox moves. Prop shaft hanger bearings/universals. Fuel tank supports rusted. Van doors moving. Something left in the back, under the seat, in the door pocket. Teeth grinding knowing you don't know. Lift each wheel and turn it, the back one shall turn the propshaft you might hear the sound.
Apply the process of elimination.
Mines got a noise that starts at 15mph increases in volume to about 30 mph then stays at the same volume.
Ford Transit, 3.5, Mk6, 2.4 (90PS) 88.76 HP 66.19 KW Duratorq DI diesel, 2000 Luton back, Tail lift, MWB, DRWD.
mnxtrany
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits