*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Ford transit 2010 plumes of smoke

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Ford transit 2010 plumes of smoke

Postby Liamelliott » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:43 pm

Hey guys new to the forum, 10 days ago I purchased my first ever transit which I’m going to be turning into a camper.. now I don’t know wether it’s mk1-2-3-4-5-6-7? Who knows.. but it’s a 10 plate 2.4 transit 115 t350l rwd.. so I brought the van privately and he was very honest with what’s gone on with the van all seemed pukka but he told me the idle was a bit funny on warm up which didn’t bother me.. he said it was due to the egr that’s recently been changed because it didn’t have the rough idle before.. anyway, few days after buying it I took it for a jet wash and for some reason after that the engine management light came on (I didn’t jet wash anywhere near the bare engine) I drove home and then the next time I drove noticed Big plumes of Black smoke.. the engine management light has now gone off but I have a serious lack of power and black smoke.. done a bit of reading up and sounds like it might be the egr.. I can’t actually find the egr I’ve read peoples posts on here explaining where it is but without pictures I’m useless.. gone through the Haines manual and no good either.. so if anybody could explain where it is in simple peoples terms that would be handy.. I also cleaned the maf or mas whatever it’s called.. checked all air filter tubes and they seem ok.. the air filter is filthy though so got a new one that I’m yet to fit.. if anybody can help with what my problem might be that would be so helpful! Thank you, Liam
Liamelliott
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Ford transit 2010 plumes of smoke

Postby knobby1 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:24 pm

2010 Tranny will be a Mk7...

RWD EGR is located at very rear of engine on near side....just above the starter...look at the back end of the inlet manifold, there will be a connector going to the EGR too....TBH, it's actually easier to remove the inlet manifold to get at it, two of the bolts are easier to get at from underneath too....can be a right ball-ache.

Definitely replace the air filter, can cause all sorts of grief if it's filthy and partially blocked. A good old fashioned service would be a good place to start and a new fuel filter if it hasn't been done recently.

Sounds like it could do with a set of "Learns" on IDS or Forscan.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Liamelliott » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:36 am

Hey thank you for your reply mate forgive me for being dumb but I’m new to engines I can just about do a service that’s it.. so I’m not sure where a starter is or what an inlet manifold is? But I will have a look tonight and see if I can make sense of anything in that engine lol.. I have got a service kit that I’m going to do this weekend so maybe that will help my situation.. also what is a set of learns? Thank you mate
Liamelliott
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby loot » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:16 am

This is the engine, the egr is that box top right, the engine is missing the inlet manifold but you'll see the sets of holes.
Tbh if you don't have ids(food diagnostics) or familiar with this engine then you probably won't see anything amiss.
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Liamelliott » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:56 pm

Lovely thank you mate I’ll have a root around in there tonight and see if I can get the egr off for a clean, would you suggest cleaning anything else around it while I’m there? Thanks
Liamelliott
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby loot » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:34 pm

If the egr is causing the smoke then it will have a fault that will be obvious if you open it up, the pins on the gear can snap and the grub can pop out, this is the only instance where the valve is blowing by that will cause terrible running and smoke.

If you are suffering quite badly then there is a leak here or maybe damage in the pipes or intercooler.
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Liamelliott » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:45 pm

Ok guys so I’ve got the egr off and it seems quite dirty considering the bloke I brought it from said it was new.. so I’m gonna clean it up and try that, if problem persists I might try a new egr.. I noticed on the side of the egr there is a hole where it looks like something should be connected not sure if this is right or not Image
Also got talking to a neighbour who suggested taking off the inlet manifold so I did and it is caked in shite about 3-4mm thick and big mounds of it further in.. also where the inlet joins the engine is there any way I can clean the soot in there? Does it matter too much if the soot falls in the engine.. thanks guys
Liamelliott
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:15 pm

Liamelliott wrote:Ok guys so I’ve got the egr off and it seems quite dirty considering the bloke I brought it from said it was new.. so I’m gonna clean it up and try that, if problem persists I might try a new egr.. I noticed on the side of the egr there is a hole where it looks like something should be connected not sure if this is right or not Image
Also got talking to a neighbour who suggested taking off the inlet manifold so I did and it is caked in shite about 3-4mm thick and big mounds of it further in.. also where the inlet joins the engine is there any way I can clean the soot in there? Does it matter too much if the soot falls in the engine.. thanks guys

Some EGR's are "water cooled" and have a small steel pipe through them, yours is not cooled so no problem.. :wink: If the EGR looks suspect, just replace it...most eventually fail at some point.

The "spooge" in the inlet manifold is standard equipment, I think Ford actually have a part number for it.. :wink: :roll: They all get that at some point, blame the emissions rules....they eat their own exhaust through the EGR and also recirculate the oily crankcase fumes, it all ends up in the manifold eventually. Your turbo & intercooler will probably be all coated in oil on the inside too..! Just clean the head inlet ports as best you can, you'll not get it all out without removing and cleaning the head properly... but anything will help.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby loot » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:34 pm

loot wrote:If the egr is causing the smoke then it will have a fault that will be obvious if you open it up, the pins on the gear can snap and the grub can pop out, this is the only instance where the valve is blowing by that will cause terrible running and smoke.

If you are suffering quite badly then there is a leak here or maybe damage in the pipes or intercooler.

That egr is fooked, the grub has popped out and it sits into the helter skelter groove which when rotated via the gear makes the valve open and close.

Yours is permanently ajar now and passing gas and air.

Replace the egr for instant relief 8)

Bloody cheap junk I think.
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Liamelliott » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:22 am

Ok chaps thanks a lot for your help I really appreciate it! Can you recommend any decent places to buy genuine ford parts for a good price? Also is there any sort of engine flush I could put in to clean all the muck out? Or is it best to just clean the manifold and leave the rest? Cheers
Liamelliott
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby loot » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:28 am

The modified egr i bought from tpuk is still good after a year. :-)
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits