*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk7 Jumbo brakes issue.

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk7 Jumbo brakes issue.

Postby Jim Archer » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:10 pm

The brakes on my Jumbo aren't brilliant, sort of suspected cheapo pads, and after a couple of worrying 'f**k me, where's the brakes gone' when needing to stop a bit quick like moments, I went and had a play today.

Progressively brake, and there comes a point where more pedal pressure doesn't increase the braking effort - it's not the ABS, 'cos if you brake sharply it cuts in. If you then lift out a bit, the brakes then start biting harder. Do this a few times and the brakes go nice and firm and decent bite.

A quick check shows the sliders are free enough. Just wondering if I've got sticky trailing pistons in the front caliper that are wearing the pads tapered during gentle use which then tip over when standing on the brakes and the sticky pistons move?

It's got 250K showing and had new discs and pads before I bought it, so don't know what make.

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Re: Mk7 Jumbo brakes issue.

Postby Cooter » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:33 pm

Interesting, I've got much the same issue with my 13 plate twin wheel jumbo. Also highish 190k miles, been into Ford a couple of times with no faults found and recently flew through its mot. Quite frustrating because like you say it does get a bit scary sometimes.
Always smileying!
Cooter
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby karl » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:48 pm

brake servo , maybe an option but

when I have changed brakes on and abs system for example change a brake pipe I have to get a computer to do the bleeding work for me as manual way just doesn't do it

Have you change any brake pipe,also have you forced the rear brake calipers back :(
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Postby ned » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:07 pm

Its sounds like mine were being bleeding them. N
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Jim Archer » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:19 pm

karl wrote:........ also have you forced the rear brake calipers back :(

Not myself, but can't say as new stuff fitted before I bought it. Now you mention it, the handbrake action is a bit crap, but then it is a big old van.

Jim
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Jim Archer » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:35 pm

Think I've solved this. Fitted OE Motorcraft front pads and freed off the slightly sticky slider pins - I wish folk wouldn't use anti-sieze 'Copper' grease on caliper slide pins, bloody stuff sets like glue ......

No brand name on the pads that came out - but Ferodo(?) claimed on the recipt - which I always view with suspicion, and the friction material was full of cracks. Pedal started to feel firmer within a couple of low speed stops. Given the cracking I'm guessing the backing plates had warped maybe.

Quick question - which way round should the slider pins be fitted as they were opposites. Went with fitting the one with the polymer buffer sleeve at the top/trailing end of caliper.

Jim
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits