*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk7 140 330s hunting

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk7 140 330s hunting

Postby Robnico » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:34 pm

Hi all wondered if I could pick some brains, I've just went to buy the van above it's had a new flywheel and clutch fitted couple of days ago when I went to test drive today the van is hunting on idle I told the garage I wanted it looking at they did and said it was the peramiters on the ECU but I'm not convinced lol, am I buying a poney or is the garage genuinely telling the truth is what I'm wondering, any advice apriciated
Robnico
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Mk7 140 330s hunting

Postby knobby1 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:06 am

Robnico wrote:Hi all wondered if I could pick some brains, I've just went to buy the van above it's had a new flywheel and clutch fitted couple of days ago when I went to test drive today the van is hunting on idle I told the garage I wanted it looking at they did and said it was the peramiters on the ECU but I'm not convinced lol, am I buying a poney or is the garage genuinely telling the truth is what I'm wondering, any advice apriciated

Hunting is usually a poorly SCV on Mk7 machines...Best to get codes read before you do anything, might show something....A PCM update will help if it hasn't been done recently....Then she'll probably need the pump, pilot and injector learns & counter resets done via IDS or Forscan, (which is basically resetting the parameters)...if it fails this, do an injector "leak-off" test to see if they're ok....after that, the SCV & PRV may need replacing....but get the codes read first.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby psv-hgv-flt » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:23 am

my 16 reg custom does this,,only done 17k the dealers had it in under warrenty (3 times) injector codeing ect and made no f*** difference,,,,,pissed of with it.
psv-hgv-flt
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Robnico » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:55 am

knobby1 wrote:
Robnico wrote:Hi all wondered if I could pick some brains, I've just went to buy the van above it's had a new flywheel and clutch fitted couple of days ago when I went to test drive today the van is hunting on idle I told the garage I wanted it looking at they did and said it was the peramiters on the ECU but I'm not convinced lol, am I buying a poney or is the garage genuinely telling the truth is what I'm wondering, any advice apriciated

Hunting is usually a poorly SCV on Mk7 machines...Best to get codes read before you do anything, might show something....A PCM update will help if it hasn't been done recently....Then she'll probably need the pump, pilot and injector learns & counter resets done via IDS or Forscan, (which is basically resetting the parameters)...if it fails this, do an injector "leak-off" test to see if they're ok....after that, the SCV & PRV may need replacing....but get the codes read first.

Lord Knobrot

Thanks for your reply much apriciated, I've not bought the van yet went for a test drive yesterday and it was fine driving but started to hunt when I started the van up, the bloke who was selling me the van couldn't understand why I was concerned lol. He put it in the garage and called me saying it was the peramiters needed resetting and I thought it sounded like crap I'm not a mechanic mind.
The van is ex British gas with only 67thousand miles in superb condition full service history and top dollar price.
Would you say the update was likely a fix or has the garage just reset the fault codes to sell the van and hoping it'll be out of warranty when it goes again? Many thabks
Robnico
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Robnico » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:57 am

psv-hgv-flt wrote:my 16 reg custom does this,,only done 17k the dealers had it in under warrenty (3 times) injector codeing ect and made no f*** difference,,,,,pissed of with it.

That sounds a nightmare pal nothing worse when your van is breaking down all the time, that's why I was worried about buying this van I can't afford to be off the road or expensive repairs.
Robnico
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:52 pm

psv-hgv-flt wrote:my 16 reg custom does this,,only done 17k the dealers had it in under warrenty (3 times) injector codeing ect and made no f*** difference,,,,,pissed of with it.

16 reg Mk8 machine is different system to the Mk7 Euro-IV machines, so the same fixes don't really apply.

Lord Knobrot
Last edited by knobby1 on Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:17 pm

Robnico wrote:Thanks for your reply much apriciated, I've not bought the van yet went for a test drive yesterday and it was fine driving but started to hunt when I started the van up, the bloke who was selling me the van couldn't understand why I was concerned lol. He put it in the garage and called me saying it was the peramiters needed resetting and I thought it sounded like crap I'm not a mechanic mind. The van is ex British gas with only 67thousand miles in superb condition full service history and top dollar price.
Would you say the update was likely a fix or has the garage just reset the fault codes to sell the van and hoping it'll be out of warranty when it goes again? Many thabks

There are some sellers who may stoop to such things as erasing codes and hoping for the best.... but I believe most people are generally good, if the faults are bad enough they'll usually come back straight away. Getting the codes read by someone who knows what they're looking at is a must, some garages only have generic code readers...and whilst this might be ok for most vehicles, the Transits also store "historic & pending" fault codes....some of which can't be read by the normal readers. IDS or Forscan are your best bet. Doing thorough diagnostic runs and a "Full" set of learns is usually the only proper way to go, the PCM update helps but is not absolutely mandatory, along with some other things it also adds an "anti-stall" function which some people don't like.

A lot of people don't understand why the learns need doing, especially on a fairly low mileage machine, in your case 67k miles isn't much at all....but.... A lot depends on maintenance, driving conditions, fuel conditions and how the vehicle is driven/used etc...As the parts like pump, injectors, SCV & PRV wear, they sometimes need to be "re-calibrated" to allow them to work at their best, this is what the learns do. Some of us who have the applicable hardware and software do these learns/updates ourselves at service time to keep our machines' fuel systems in top shape. If I detect my engine is not running as sweetly as it normally would, I run my IDS or Forscan system over it to keep on top of things and possibly pick up an impending issue and have it repaired before is becomes a major ball-ache....
I believe letting the poor thing continually run in a poorly state just makes things wear and deteriorate even more quickly, which would usually end in expensive and time consuming repairs. We see this all too often on here, some people drive their machines into the ground, then they bitch and complain when it plays up and needs expensive, time consuming repairs when a reasonable amount of normal maintenance will see these things not usually happen.

Lord Knobrot

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits