*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Interior lights draining battery

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Interior lights draining battery

Postby Jocarl011 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:26 pm

Ok got a strange one here, the interior light circuit is causing a large current drain to my battery on my Tourneo. The thing is, all the lights go out after a few minutes like they should so I have no idea why this could be happening?? I have disconnected the 10a fuse from behind the glove box for now but really need this sorting! Any ideas?

Thanks Carl.
Jocarl011
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Interior lights draining battery

Postby Jocarl011 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:49 am

Anyone got any ideas? Struggling with this one!
Jocarl011
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby the dutch guy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:11 pm

pull the lights out and measure current at the fuse.
Mk6 SWB TDCI 125
the dutch guy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mnxtrany » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:14 pm

If the - low battery condition - only occurs when the lights are on/ after they have been on - then there's likely to be a short on that circuit. + to - earth.
If the fuse you have removed is for that circuit and the low battery condition does not reoccur then it's likely there is a short in that circuit.
With the circuit isolated from the battery power use a multimeter to check for continuity from one point to another + and - wires and for continuity from + to - earth on each section of the circuit.
Where there is continuity + to - then there could be the problem.
Electronic gizzmos such as the timer for lights out can give misleading indications so make sure such a thing is disconnected from the circuit/or part of you are testing.
On more modern electronic systems the use of a multimeter can knacker the system.
Better to have a circuit diagram to follow, know what you've got.
Better to show information re' your vehicle.
Ford Transit, 3.5, Mk6, 2.4 (90PS) 88.76 HP 66.19 KW Duratorq DI diesel, 2000 Luton back, Tail lift, MWB, DRWD.
mnxtrany
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby the dutch guy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:16 pm

a multimeter cannot "break" a electronic system, especially not a rubust automotive computer.

usually these issues come from crappy connections. most lights are negative switched, so the light always has power and a dodgy wire somewere can leak to ground enough to pull power but not light the bulb.
Mk6 SWB TDCI 125
the dutch guy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mnxtrany » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:01 am

The Dutch Guy.
a multimeter cannot "break" a electronic system, especially not a rubust automotive computer.

usually these issues come from crappy connections. most lights are negative switched, so the light always has power and a dodgy wire somewere can leak to ground enough to pull power but not light the bulb.

I was informed that the use of a multimeter on modern electronics - signalled - could damage the electronics. It happened to a fella with a van who had taken out and put back in the battery = things didn't work. He used a multimeter and knackered the van electronics.

I havn't done much electrical work on the my 17 yr old van except to add to it. I put the switches on the positive side. Long time ago the power/switch was on the positive - safer - . I apologise if I got things wrong.
Thanks for the info'.
I'll have to have a look sometime.
Ford Transit, 3.5, Mk6, 2.4 (90PS) 88.76 HP 66.19 KW Duratorq DI diesel, 2000 Luton back, Tail lift, MWB, DRWD.
mnxtrany
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby the dutch guy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:47 am

a DMM (multimeter) is in a electrical sense just a very high value resistor when measureing voltage. it is basically impossible to inflict damage with that, especially not on automotive components. correlation is not causation. 99.99% chance his system was already nackerd before he got the DMM on it. putting in a fully charged fresh battery on a fully drained system however.... ever wonderd why you get sparks when hooking up a battery to a car? yeah, trust me, it was not the DMM that packed the car in.
Mk6 SWB TDCI 125
the dutch guy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mnxtrany » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:09 am

To the Dutch Guy. Thanks for the info' re neg' switching. Had a look at the wk shp ml a few days ago and could see the neg' side switching on the interior lighting circuit.
The reversing lights weren't working - found the gearbox switch was at fault. That circuit is switched on the positve side.
mnxtrany
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ake » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:45 am

It’s probably your battery that’s knackered
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits