*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mark 7 brake bleeding

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mark 7 brake bleeding

Postby Pedro18 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:11 pm

Good evening all,

Whats the best way / order to bleed the brakes on a mark 7 front wheel drive transit ?, 2010 plate with a 2.2 diesel. While changing the disc and pads on the front end today I have managed to brake one of the flexi pipes where it meets the caliper ( I know, what a numpty !!! ), however I didn't realise i had done it until it came to putting the wheel back on. I've no idea how much fluid has leaked out (N/S/F) and need to know if there is a specific order in which to bleed the system to get it done in the quickest possible time.

All advice greatfully received,

Thank you.

Pete. :oops:
Pedro18
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Mark 7 brake bleeding

Postby knobby1 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:17 pm

Does your beast have ABS..?? If so you may need IDS to bleed the ABS module correctly.

Was there still plenty of fluid left in the reservoir..?? If so you may be lucky.

Normally on a vehicle without ABS you'd bleed the caliper furthest away from the master cycl first, then the next furthest and so on. However, if you have accidentally/inadvertently let fluid drain out of the ABS module, you may be in a spot of bother as the ABS module pump needs to be activated to bleed it properly, hence the need for IDS. Not sure if Forscan can do this, I believe it can but I've not tried it yet.. :?

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Marauder » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:00 am

Mine is 2008 2.2 SWB.For mine to pass MOT in the Spring. The garage replaced my brake lines with copper. Went to collect it and I said I'm not accepting that, The peddle is crap it used to be Solid. He bled Brakes again bit better, I am not accepting that either it is still not correct. He did it again with a pressure bleed, no good !. I came on here and was told the same, It needed I think a Ford IDS to bleed the brakes proper. I informed the Garage, So after 4 or 5 brake bleeds the Garage finally used the Ford IDS ,Since then my Brakes are really good... (PS I'm sure the thing was called an IDS) or similar name..
Ford Transit 280 SWB,,Year 2008,,2.2,, If it can,t be fixed/repaired/ with a 4 pound lump hammer then it must be an electrical problem.
Marauder
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Brains_transit » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:01 pm

The air gets trapped in the abs servo and only IDS can open each chamber to release the air. The only other way is put the van on its roof and then bleed the wheel caliper :lol:
Brains_transit
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby KevofCov » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:14 pm

You need to keep an eye on the fluid level as you bleed.
Don't look down into the brake fluid reservoir through the filler hole to check it's level as you bleed. Its a trap......
Due to poor design - shine a torch at the side of the reservoir instead and get the true level as it decreases...
KevofCov
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby knobby1 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:29 pm

KevofCov wrote:You need to keep an eye on the fluid level as you bleed.
Don't look down into the brake fluid reservoir through the filler hole to check it's level as you bleed. Its a trap......
Due to poor design - shine a torch at the side of the reservoir instead and get the true level as it decreases...

Good advice that..^^

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Brains_transit » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:38 am

I was using a pressure bleeder on a mk7 and the fluid in the bleeder kept just about emptying with no leaks and after talking to Loot he said dont believe the level, it was at max but took another litre. I'm glad my mk6 has economy brakes :D
Brains_transit
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Pedro18 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:59 pm

Thanks to everyone for their time and knowledge when replying to my post. :D
After waiting a few days for the wheel studs etc to arrive from Ford (dealer only parts allegedly ), I also bought the Laser 5545 special tool to help me pop the bearing , disc and flange out. This worked a treat and turned what seemed to be an impossible task into a 10 minute job (Took a lot longer to set everything up to be able to separate the above from the steering knuckle !!! ). The brake pipe has now been replaced and the front end has new discs and pads. The only part that I needed extra help with was the brake bleeding, so i called somebody out who had the laptop with IDS installed as recommended and all is now well again.

Thanks again folks, you've pulled me out of the POO again.

Cheers,

Pete :P
Pedro18
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:25 pm

Pedro18 wrote:Thanks to everyone for their time and knowledge when replying to my post. :D
After waiting a few days for the wheel studs etc to arrive from Ford (dealer only parts allegedly ), I also bought the Laser 5545 special tool to help me pop the bearing , disc and flange out. This worked a treat and turned what seemed to be an impossible task into a 10 minute job (Took a lot longer to set everything up to be able to separate the above from the steering knuckle !!! ). The brake pipe has now been replaced and the front end has new discs and pads. The only part that I needed extra help with was the brake bleeding, so i called somebody out who had the laptop with IDS installed as recommended and all is now well again.
Thanks again folks, you've pulled me out of the POO again.
Cheers,
Pete :P

Result....Also, you can indeed buy Transit wheel studs off fleabay...

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-TRANSI ... SwI-ZZb0~p

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby jumbo 57 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:06 am

This IDS, is it available cheaply :?:
jumbo 57
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:18 am

jumbo 57 wrote:This IDS, is it available cheaply :?:

It's available, but not cheaply....the VCM-II units can be a bit hit 'n miss if you get one that works....Forscan and a suitable ELM-327 is a better bet these days.

Try this, cheap at ~15 UK sheckles:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mazda-Ford- ... 2749.l2649

I have one and it does work.

Forscan can be downloaded from here, free for the Windoze version too:

http://www.forscan.org/download.html

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby jumbo 57 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:27 am

Thanks for the links,
Do they activate the Abs for brake bleeding :?:
jumbo 57
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:33 am

jumbo 57 wrote:Thanks for the links,
Do they activate the Abs for brake bleeding :?:

I believe so, yes....although I've not tried it myself yet. I'm due for a brake fluid change soon so I might give it a go.. :mrgreen:

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Brains_transit » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:29 pm

I asked if it works on my my van since the eml327 isn't compatible with a 2002 and the guy said
"hi, yes it will work fine. Thanks" I have a feeling it won't work :lol:
Brains_transit
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:34 pm

Brains_transit wrote:I asked if it works on my my van since the eml327 isn't compatible with a 2002 and the guy said
"hi, yes it will work fine. Thanks" I have a feeling it won't work :lol:

The ELM-327 I linked to will indeed work on Mk6 & Mk7 machines.....there's also one which has a separate "CAN" switch which also works, I think our Ned alerted us to it.... this one:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-Modifie ... 2749.l2649

Both of them work fine on Mk6 & Mk7..!

Just make sure you use the correct Windoze drivers and the latest Forscan, you''l be fine.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits